Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a gun license

Options
  • 03-11-2011 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Ihave being thinking of getting a shot gun for the clay pigeon shoot,how long does it take to get a license??Any recommendations for sort of shotgun for clay pigeon shoot:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

scatter wrote: »
    Ihave being thinking of getting a shot gun for the clay pigeon shoot,how long does it take to get a license??Any recommendations for sort of shotgun for clay pigeon shoot:confused:

It takes about 6-8 weeks but there are common cases where people have been left waiting months. You cant simply apply for a shotgun and say you want it to shoot clay's unfortunately its alot more complicated than that. Ideally for clay shooting you want an over and under 12 gauge multi-choke shotgun. There is alot of good second hand guns out there that wont break the bank and would set you up nicely for shooting clays but the sport itself can be quite expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭scatter

Thanks for replying,can you recommend any gun shops kilkenny /carlow area ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You cant simply apply for a shotgun and say you want it to shoot clay's unfortunately its alot more complicated than that. .

Yes you can, and not really.

Clay shooting is a valid reason for wanting a shotgun. Membership of a range/club will be needed, but thats about it. Any security requirements will be outlined by the Super.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭renas

Ezridax wrote: »
    Yes you can, and not really.

Clay shooting is a valid reason for wanting a shotgun. Membership of a range/club will be needed, but thats about it. Any security requirements will be outlined by the Super.

hi all hope this is not a thread spoil :rolleyes: did anyone can tell me how difficul to get shotgun license as i just LOVE clay shooting, and i had trouble with police then i was 17 but thats for fishing in private lake only :D im 28 now, so i hope not to worry about, or i should ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

renas wrote: »
    hi all hope this is not a thread spoil :rolleyes: did anyone can tell me how difficul to get shotgun license as i just LOVE clay shooting, and i had trouble with police then i was 17 but thats for fishing in private lake only :D im 28 now, so i hope not to worry about, or i should ??

It's not 'hard' as such, you just have to fulfill the requirements. As Ezridax said you'll need club membership, shotguns don't require a safe but the Super can request you get one. The only way to know if the run in with the guards will matter is to call the super and enquire, but I personally would not forsee an issue with such a relatively minor issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

If you join a clay target club they will more than likely have club guns for you to try and use under supervision, you'll get a better idea of whats needed and whats used from the other club members.

THANKS for point blay, reason i said this becouse i got 1 year probation hope is the right word i use here, because man was very rich and mad and in my country nobody cares you are kid or adult we just get in FULL for just couple carps, and that time i don't give f... about fish then i was just kid who love fishing, i can start my own movie about how we escape from garage where 2 of us was locked for 2 days!!!! without food and water, with guards outside and you can believe or not but rich f... got nothing for this because in some countrys still MONEY TALK 0 !! ,i was trying to get license for airgun more than a year ago, but i was refused because of this, i was told to come back after a year or so and they might be sort this out, so i was waiting around 18 month to try again, couple month ago i was in 1 place there you can shoot clays for money and must say it was best shooter day ever, and i will def try again this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Sounds to me like they fobbed you off in the hope you wouldnt come back, could be wrong tho. You should go talk to the local Firearms Officer in your station and see what he says now before you do anything else.

Sounds to me like they fobbed you off in the hope you wouldnt come back, could be wrong tho. You should go talk to the local Firearms Officer in your station and see what he says now before you do anything else.

well as super told (we have conversation :)) he can't help if he gets fully stamped report about conviction and i believe thats how it should work, thats why i was asked to come back next year and def i need to get clear report from my country he told, and i hoping to get one soon.. he told you can try another way and you probably know what he had in mind but i try to do this right and i hope i can enjoy this sport in a future..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

renas wrote: »
    well as super told (we have conversation :)) he can't help if he gets fully stamped report about conviction and i believe thats how it should work, thats why i was asked to come back next year and def i need to get clear report from my country he told, and i hoping to get one soon.. he told you can try another way and you probably know what he had in mind but i try to do this right and i hope i can enjoy this sport in a future..
    iv no doubt thats what he told you but if that is on your record it will always be there yes? So i dont see how he could get a clean report a year and a half later and if like you say it was for fishing on a private lake the super could have used his discretion at the time and looked passed it i would imagine.

I dont know what you mean by another way, can you give more details?

• Advertisement

iv no doubt thats what he told you but if that is on your record it will always be there yes? So i dont see how he could get a clean report a year and a half later and if like you say it was for fishing on a private lake the super could have used his discretion at the time and looked passed it i would imagine.

I dont know what you mean by another way, can you give more details?

was away for few days, well in some time record will be eliminated, i know because i ask some people about this, just not sure 100% many years i need but in about 8 or 10 years i was told, so its probably nothing left, another way is thro the court as here is law if you not happy with decision you can go with it, but i choose different way that time..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

scatter wrote: »
    Thanks for replying,can you recommend any gun shops kilkenny /carlow area ?

There are 2 dealers in Kilkenny
    1 Off the high street down the Butter Slip lane, top floor. Oldest sports shop in KK.
    2 Ger out beside O'Loughlin Gaels sports club good for shot guns and nice man the deal with.

Carlow has a big gun shot in Glencullen

I'd go to both O'Hallarans in Drangan and Stakelums in Thurles. I can & will reccomend both dealers for shotguns, rifles and ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

What about the shop in Clonmel? Was out that way yesterday so went for a spin to see were it was.

Now clive you know yourself if your going to buy from down the butterslip your going to pay over the odds for a firearm or anything else he sells. As for Ger smith he gets all his stuff from Drangan but doesn't sell at Drangan prices,so he may as well go to Drangan and cut out the middle man. Don't forget redmills in Gowran.

lee70 wrote: »
    What about the shop in Clonmel? Was out that way yesterday so went for a spin to see were it was.

Now clive you know yourself if your going to buy from down the butterslip your going to pay over the odds for a firearm or anything else he sells. As for Ger smith he gets all his stuff from Drangan but doesn't sell at Drangan prices,so he may as well go to Drangan and cut out the middle man. Don't forget redmills in Gowran.

I know about prices in Carrigans down the butter slip (I don't shop there) but Ger has a lot of shotguns in stock and will do a deal for ya. I'm not a shotgun man myself. There is/was also a gun dealers in carlow out on the Dublin side run by Carrigans of KK, his son I think, above the motor bike shop. I was there once. never again.

And as you say "Don't forget redmills in Gowran" which I did - another good gun shop. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

clivej wrote: »
    I know about prices in Carrigans down the butter slip (I don't shop there) but Ger has a lot of shotguns in stock and will do a deal for ya. I'm not a shotgun man myself. There is/was also a gun dealers in carlow out on the Dublin side run by Carrigans of KK, his son I think, above the motor bike shop. I was there once. never again.

And as you say "Don't forget redmills in Gowran" which I did - another good gun shop. :o
    Is the sons prices the same as the fathers. As you've said (I was there once. never again.)if it is you'd save a lot of lads and myself the agro of travelling there in the future.

lee70 wrote: »
    Is the sons prices the same as the fathers. As you've said (I was there once. never again.)if it is you'd save a lot of lads and myself the agro of travelling there in the future.

I don't know I didn't stay long enough to find out, was left waiting to long.
    Anyway Atlantic Shooting in Carlow is bigger and better IMO

Advertisement