Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Therapy

• 03-11-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I'm interested to hear if anyone had used magnet therapy with their animals and if they found it beneficial?

My dog is 6 and had bi-lateral hip dysplasia, she had a hip replacement last year but it kept luxating, she had 3 further ops to try to re-cement it etc but in the end she had to have a femoral head ostectomy.

I'm constantly on the look-out for alternatives to pain-killers as I am aware of the long term uses of NSAIDS on her liver.

At the moment she takes a painkiller every second day and 4 squirts of arthri-aid on her food everyday.

She's going to the vet this evening for a check-up so I will mention it to the vet about getting her a magnet therapy collar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There is no scientific evidence that magnetic therapy causes any difference at all beyond the placebo effect (this is in humans, obviously). Double blind tests are very difficult to conduct because of the properties of magnets, so studies are therefore difficult to conduct.

Consider the claimed effects of magnetic therapy; many of them purport that magnets can somehow influence the iron in our blood, yet if that were the case then MRI machines should rip that iron out of our bodies because of the strength of the magnet. If magnets worked to heal us then MRIs should be basically miracle machines.

However, there's probably no harm in doing it, other than the possibility of someone using your dog to hold paperclips.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1325112/

Advertisement