Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade recomendations for my Computer

Options
  • 03-11-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

My computer is about 4 and a half years old now, and apart from some minor upgrades It's pretty much as when I bought it. I'm not ready for a new machine yet or build so I was wondering what recommendations that you would suggest. The graphics card is old and I would like to be able to run 2 monitors from it but a present it's not stable when I use the DVI cable and just use the VGA. And I would like to be able to do some video editing on the computer also.

Here are my current specs.

Machine name: DESKTOP-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Dell DXP061
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
    Memory: 3584MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3070MB RAM

Display Devices
    Card name: Radeon X1300/X1550 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7183)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Display Memory: 1533 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 254 MB
    Shared Memory: 1278 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)
    Monitor Name: Dell E207WFP
    Monitor Model: DELL E207WFP
    Monitor Id: DELD010
    Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.954Hz)

Sound Devices
    Description: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes

Full spec list in the attachment.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

What's your budget my good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Considering it's not going to be a full build but I want a noticeable difference in performance I was thinking €200-300, but if you think it would be a waste to invest that much in an old machine it would be valid input. and I am open to other suggestions

The best processor (as far as I can tell) for your current mobo is €140. I don't think it's really worth it when far superior i5's are just under €200.

So, upgrade time methinks.

Here is a quick build, I haven't checked everything works together, I'll have a proper look after work.
    ASUS P8H61-M LE B3 Rev
    i3 Dual Core 3.1GHz
    2GB DDR3 RAM
    Radeon HD 6770
    Komplett price; 301.90 with free shipping.

Others will probably give better advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Cheers thanks for that will have a look.

So that's replace the motherboard, with the i3 chip with Ram to match and a new graphics card.

Maybe a silly question but what do I need to check so the other components will work with this new mobo, like sound card DVD and HDD.

Thanks

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Cheers thanks for that will have a look.

So that's replace the motherboard, with the i3 chip with Ram to match and a new graphics card.

Maybe a silly question but what do I need to check so the other components will work with this new mobo, like sound card DVD and HDD.

Thanks
    Had a better look, those parts should work together. I'll poke around for a better deal, I only tried Komplett.

RE: DVD & HDD
    Yes actually.
    Tell me the make and model of your CD/DVD drive and HDD. your sound card should be PCI which will be fine.

What power supply do you have?

• Advertisement

Slightly different, cheaper build from Dabs.ie
    €273 & free shipping

CPU
    Mobo
    Cheapo Rams
    GFX card

Advertisement