Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating questions.

• 03-11-2011 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Ok so I just started college and i don't find my course very interesting. I want to repeat to get into my preferred course. How much is it to repeat and do I HAVE to do all 6 subjects? Because I'm doing 2 matriculation subjects for trinity already. Also, would it be too late to repeat? I got 470 in my leaving and a lot of the stuff is still in my head. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

As far as I know you can just reapply with next year with your current results.

you'll only need to repeat if the points for your preferred course are higher than what you got.

If the course is in the same college you might be able to do an internal transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 trundlebee

Remouad wrote: »
    As far as I know you can just reapply with next year with your current results.

you'll only need to repeat if the points for your preferred course are higher than what you got.

If the course is in the same college you might be able to do an internal transfer.

I'm thinking of doing a different course, need more points so I have to repeat. I just want to know the cost of the whole situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I dropped out on the last day of October last year and repeated the leaving.

I dropped maths as I no longer needed it as a requirement.

Had to pay some fees this year,including registration it came to about 4 or 5 grand I think,nothing ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

There's a fee of €127 for repeat students, plus whatever the exams cost for all Leaving Cert students (should be the same as last year, so €100-150 as far as I can remember).

You'd need to do 6 subjects for points really if you're aiming to go up from 470. (I don't even know if you can do less and use them for points, but doing 6 pretty much guarrantees you higher points than 5 would.) You can drop subjects if you already have the required grade in them, those grades can be used when you repeat, for entry requirements, but not for points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

If I recall correctly repeats pay around 300 for the exams,it's more than the normal leaving certs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

trundlebee wrote: »
    Ok so I just started college and i don't find my course very interesting. I want to repeat to get into my preferred course. How much is it to repeat and do I HAVE to do all 6 subjects? Because I'm doing 2 matriculation subjects for trinity already. Also, would it be too late to repeat? I got 470 in my leaving and a lot of the stuff is still in my head. Thanks.

You will need six subjects for points. You don't necessarily have to pick matriculation subjects again if you already meet matric requirements for the course you're applying for this time round.

Cost will depend on a few factors. I think if you go back to school and repeat there it will cost you around €250, you can also register as an external candidate and study at home and you are then registered with a school for the purpose of orals and practicals if they apply and of course the written exams and you only present yourself for those exams.

It's not too late to repeat but you may have to do it on your own, it could be a scramble to get into a school or further education centre at this stage, unless you are willing to fork out the money to go to a grind school (approx 7k) and as you haven't mentioned it I'm assuming that's not an option.

If you are registering as an external candidate, you will have to do so by Feb 1st, information is on examinations.ie and also when you are applying to the CAO, there will be a space on the application where you tick to say you did the LC last year, so they will pick up your matriculation grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 trundlebee

You will need six subjects for points. You don't necessarily have to pick matriculation subjects again if you already meet matric requirements for the course you're applying for this time round.

Cost will depend on a few factors. I think if you go back to school and repeat there it will cost you around €250, you can also register as an external candidate and study at home and you are then registered with a school for the purpose of orals and practicals if they apply and of course the written exams and you only present yourself for those exams.

It's not too late to repeat but you may have to do it on your own, it could be a scramble to get into a school or further education centre at this stage, unless you are willing to fork out the money to go to a grind school (approx 7k) and as you haven't mentioned it I'm assuming that's not an option.

If you are registering as an external candidate, you will have to do so by Feb 1st, information is on examinations.ie and also when you are applying to the CAO, there will be a space on the application where you tick to say you did the LC last year, so they will pick up your matriculation grades.

Thanks so much!

Advertisement