Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to college with level 6/7 still get grant

Options
  • 03-11-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

:confused:Im doing a level seven course video and film and i want to leave after year 2 as i really dont like the course and i am finding it difficult. I was planning on leaving in first year but decided i would be better off if i had a qualification. The course is a level seven but you can leave after two years with a level six qualification. I have been getting the full grant for the last two years. I am applying back to the cao for either a level seven or level 8 in cork or galway. Will i still get a grant or will i have to pay myself. Im only 19 so im not near mature student. Please help as I am really unhappy in my course and cant afford to go through college on my own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

You wont get a grant for 1st and 2nd year of your new course so its up to you to finance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

if you are not repeating a year and you fall into the category of a grant (income etc.) then you should get it. best thing to do is ask the grant office themselves as they will often answer questions for you.
    as you haven't done a level 7 you should be eligible for only paying the registration fee if you aren't eligible for the grant. Grant and fees are two different things but i'm sure you know that if you get the grant you get the reg fee paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

the reg fee and the tuition fees are different.
    if you qualify for "free" fees that is tuition fees...you still pay a registration fee which is currently €2000.
    if you qualify for the grant, you get the registration fee paid (or if you were ineligible for free fees, fees up to about €5500) and you get the grant up to the amount that you qualify depending if you're adjacent/nonadjacent and your income (parents included), the max being ~€3350.

Advertisement