Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of spaying a dog

• 03-11-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I just got my dog back from the vet, all went fine thankfully and she's now on the mend. Just wondering did i get slightly ripped off E160 for the operation and a couple days to antibiotics and painkillers? I don't have a clue if this is reasonable pricing haven't got it done before and didn't price the other vet in town because I've heard some bad reviews. she's a beagle btw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

That price sounds okay to me, I think you'll find it's pretty average.

You could shop around but with something like a spay you're better off going for a vet you can trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 redser2

Thats exactly what I was quoted for a cocker spaniel by my vet last week so I would say it's the going rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I paid €150 for a vet in Dublin for a spay three weeks ago - my dog is a medium sized dog so similar to yours - I think this is the general price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Anything from €150 to €180 would be a pretty average price to get a Beagle spayed - €160 including antibiotics and painkillers is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Yeah thats the going rate. If you are unemployed you can get it done under the dog neutering scheme at dogs trust. Only costs €20 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭EraseAndRewind

im shocked guys the going rate here (wexford) is between 65 & 85 euro i rang around all the vets recently to price it for my inlaws

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

I'm here in cork and i asked the price for a small size border collie and was told it would be €130 so it would depend on the size as the amount of anesthetic would differ..

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

goes by the weight of the dog because of the cost of the anaesthetic, would be very wary of a very cheap price as they probably wont use painkillers/antibiotic/proper anaesthetic on your poor dog
    also Dogs Trust have run out of funding for this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 K9canine

I had my collie spayed at Ballyhugh vets in Gort recently. All the Dogs trust vouchers are gone but they did give me a 30% discount off a quote for €130 as I am on benefits. The nurse was very helpful and didn't charge me for a buster collar when Bess chewed at her stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

sounds about right OP, I got a quote of 140euro from my vet for med sized female collie. Spaying is a pretty big operation but it's a once off and well worth it IMO. Make sure all associated costs are included such as aftercare/medication and removal of stitches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

im shocked guys the going rate here (wexford) is between 65 & 85 euro i rang around all the vets recently to price it for my inlaws

That is really cheap tbh.. Where I was working that was the rate for cat spays.. OP €160 is about average tbh.

Advertisement