Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is this watch worth?

• 03-11-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

All i know that it is a Rolex Oyster Perpetual date. I don't know much about watches so any help would be great :)

ad0zkp.jpg

10erhur.jpg

maxgkj.jpg

31666hu.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Hi mate. That model is called the Yacht Master. It's steel, with a platinum bezel. Value depends on age, condition and whether you have boxes and papers. Also this watch comes in mens and ladies sizes. The men's is more valuable. I'm no Rolex expert, but if it's in mint condition, has all boxes and is either fairly new, or fairly recently serviced, it should be worth around €4,500 I would think. Others will probably be able to give you a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ichirau

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Hi mate. That model is called the Yacht Master. It's steel, with a platinum bezel. Value depends on age, condition and whether you have boxes and papers. Also this watch comes in mens and ladies sizes. The men's is more valuable. I'm no Rolex expert, but if it's in mint condition, has all boxes and is either fairly new, or fairly recently serviced, it should be worth around €4,500 I would think. Others will probably be able to give you a better idea.

Ok thanks, Where would i go about selling it. It's a Men's watch, Only a year old and in great condition. I don't think i have the papers for it, i'd have to look for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Ichirau wrote: »
    Ok thanks, Where would i go about selling it. It's a Men's watch, Only a year old and in great condition. I don't think i have the papers for it, i'd have to look for them.

Where did you buy it? Without a receipt, or boxes/papers, it might be hard to sell. Too many fakes out there, so most people will be looking for papers. You could always bring it to a Rolex dealer and have them do up a certificate of authenticity for you.

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Where did you buy it? Without a receipt, or boxes/papers, it might be hard to sell. Too many fakes out there, so most people will be looking for papers. You could always bring it to a Rolex dealer and have them do up a certificate of authenticity for you.

It was a X-mas present from my Grandad. I feel bad for selling it but i really need the money. I'll keep checking to see if i still have the boxes for it, If not i'll go to a Rolex dealer like you said to get it certified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

To get the best price you'll need to ensure it's in tip top condition and has all the paperwork and box. These watches are more popular in the Asian market than Europe, I believe. Nevertheless, a UK dealer would likely knock one of these out for between £5-6k so it's best to do your homework. You might find that you get a better price by hopping on a plane to LOndon. A relatively small market here.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    To get the best price you'll need to ensure it's in tip top condition and has all the paperwork and box. These watches are more popular in the Asian market than Europe, I believe. Nevertheless, a UK dealer would likely knock one of these out for between £5-6k so it's best to do your homework. You might find that you get a better price by hopping on a plane to LOndon. A relatively small market here.

I don't have the time or money to be flying over to London to sell it. Like i said money is why i'm selling this so if it's worth what you said i'd sell it for 2-3k maybe less because i just want it sold. Thanks for your suggestion though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Hilarious.

Hilarious.

What is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

If you live in Dublin try Dawsons Jewellers. They'd be more than happy to value it for you and maybe make you an offer. But as another poster said if it's worth around 4k he might only offer you around €1500 because you've no papers, box and of course his mark up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If your going to let it off for €1500 give your Grandad first dibs it's only right. Shame to sell it for so little, any other way to raise the cash?

• Advertisement

Faith+1 wrote: »
    If you live in Dublin try Dawsons Jewellers. They'd be more than happy to value it for you and maybe make you an offer. But as another poster said if it's worth around 4k he might only offer you around €1500 because you've no papers, box and of course his mark up.

I've seen the watch online for 5k used, I know i will get less because of no papers but anything is good really. I'll put it up on adverts anyway then maybe go down to a dealership next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭friendlylady

this reminds me of the watch that turned up on Antiques Roadshow, owner had bought it at a bric a brac sale and had no idea that the repair receipt in the name of T E Shaw that came with it was the one and only Lawrence of Arabia, the dealer but an estimate at the time of 15,000 on it (and he said he was being very conservative)I think the current owner had bought it for £400. I never heard what happened after that, very interesting episode. very normal looking watch to have such a great unknown history behind it.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/antiquesuk/highlights/108.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

You've a very generous grandfather to buy you a watch like that?! You should have kept the box and papers from this most generous present as without them it seriously reduces the provenance and resale value as previously mentioned. Where did your grandfather purchase the watch and when? They might have a record of it?

Homer wrote: »
    You've a very generous grandfather to buy you a watch like that?! You should have kept the box and papers from this most generous present as without them it seriously reduces the provenance and resale value as previously mentioned. Where did your grandfather purchase the watch and when? They might have a record of it?

I know nothing about watches, If i knew it was worth this much i would've kept all them papers :P I haven't a clue where he brought it i just know it was brand new when he gave it me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

I know nothing about watches, If i knew it was worth this much i would've kept all them papers :P I haven't a clue where he brought it i just know it was brand new when he gave it me.

I'm guessing you can't ask him eh?

Homer wrote: »
    I'm guessing you can't ask him eh?

I'll try and get a hold of him tomorrow and ask, I'll just bring it up in conversation because he would go mad if he found out i was selling it. I'm guessing he got it at a Rolex dealership or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ask him where he purchased it and get a copy of the receipt from there. There are not that many Rolex dealers in Ireland. This will likely mean you can get a replacement warranty card for £50 which will increase the value by £1,000 or more. Speak with watches.co.uk, watchfinder.co.uk and Blowers and see how much they'll pay you. Fully verified I kmagine you'd get £1,000 more in the UK than here. If you need the money i imagine that would be an easier way to make £1,000 than anything else you could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Three fiddy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A serious question's been asked, let's keep the answers equally serious please

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I wish my grandad gave me a rolex :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

you never heard rolex was an expensive watch?

Advertisement