If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips 46pfl9705 sound problem.

Options
  • 03-11-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭

Afternoon guys.

A few days ago, the sound from my set took a turn for the worse. There's a sort of resonance (sp?) coming from it now, particularly a mid-low frequencies.
    This isn't during wall-shaking bass episodes either. It's during "normal" speech programs ie. news, Wheeler Dealers:cool:, Jake and the Pirates, etc.

It's really getting on my wick at this stage, and I'm wondering what to do.

She's just over a year old, and has the extended 5 year warranty.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Soarer

I'm very sorry to hear that you are having problems wiith your TV.

Wheeler Dealers is a cool show - esp the episodes sourcing American Cars:o

Firstly I've a couple of questions for you - best to start with the simple/obvious things first I've found...

1) Have you updated the firmware of the TV recenetly to the latest version?
    If not try this link -see Software update

2) Your TV has Subs mounted on the back - if your TV is wall mounted nothing has been become lodged between these and the walls and nothing is loose and rattling about behind there?

3) Has anyone been a tinkering with your TVs Sound Settings?
    This TV has a few presets and from memory the MOVIE and GAME modes boost bass levels over someof the other presets.
    There is also a BASS and TREBLE adjustment on it - the bass hasn't been wound up has it?

If changing the settings doesnt cure your problem and nothing is vibrating behind the TV you can have your TV collected by the Philips Premium Service Centre by calling 1890 555 777 - They will arrange to have your TV uplifted from your home, sound issue resolved and returned back to you pretty sharpish.
    They will need Model Number of TV, Serial Number and Date of purchase - if you dont have the later I can pm you this info
    They have a Sevrice centre in your neck of the woods as well.

Please let me know how you get on with this.

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks Ash.
    Was thinking I could've just PM'd you! Ah well.:rolleyes:

Working through your points....

1. Don't really want to upgrade the software. I was reading on AVForums about the 3D issues the 9705 had on launch, and that Philips tried to resolve it with firmware updates. According to a few of the lads, even though the 3D improved, their 2D performance deteriorated after the updates. So since I'm relatively happy with my 2D, and never use 3D, I'm reluctant to update. Could be all bolleaux though! :o

2. TV not wall mounted, so not an issue.

3. Nobody's been tinkering. The wife doesn't know how to, and the little silver remote is kept well out of the way of the young fella. The sound setting is still on Movie. Like I mentioned, it doesn't really seem to be bass related. Even Eileen Dunne on the news is distorted!

I'll give the service centre a buzz later. If you can PM on the info needed it'd be great.
    Nice one.

P.S. TBH, I'm hoping it can't be fixed, and I get it replaced with a 21:9!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Soarer

OK guess its best in the hands of the Service dept!

I'd say its nothing major and they'll be able to rectify it asap.

I'll pm you the details now

atb
    Ash

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.