Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Red Zepplin?

It's been about 15yrs since we last used an AA. Wouldn't be my first port of call tbh, esp for selling as weanlings, would be a young enough calf if she holds to serve. Would def be considering it if she was calving earlier in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

GWO_zpskp7aqelz.jpg

Gwo%201_zpsu54xwoaj.jpg

No more Zag around here. This is the bull I will be using from now on GWO.
    Off a light 550kg cow that ya would leave no value on bet a super breeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

Took away the bulls today. That gets me to around May 10th next year. I'm dreading scanning later this year with the amount of repeats from the late Spring/drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

What would ye suggest for an Ulsan daughter, 15 months old, tall, growthy type?
    She's the orangey one second from the right here- https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107646657&postcount=4705

Only have Bova/Dovea so don't say ZAG! Will i just stick with my usual THZ limousin?

I have two EBY calves this year off second calvers, first time i used him and think he’s a super bull, lovely muscle and shape to them.
    Have you ever tried him??

tanko wrote: »
    I have two EBY calves this year off second calvers, first time i used him and think he’s a super bull, lovely muscle and shape to them.
    Have you ever tried him??

Thrice, one massive dead calf off a heifer, one butty little thing and the last one born this year but looks to have potential. Seems to need height in the cow so mightn't be the worst bull to use alright.

• Advertisement

Yeah theyre not the tallest calves alrite. I’ve heard good reports about LM2014 Ewdenvale Ivor, he’s 3% CD but i’ve never used him and i dont know if he’s suitable for heifers.

Yeah theyre not the tallest calves alrite. I’ve heard good reports about LM2014 Ewdenvale Ivor, he’s 3% CD but i’ve never used him and i dont know if he’s suitable for heifers.

Have definitely heard/seen that code before, could have been on twitter or here, must check there & see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Have definitely heard/seen that code before, could have been on twitter or here, must check there & see.

Eby is a fine bull. Tall heifers suit so the ulsan might keep the size. Imo limousin only cross well on limousin cows. Lumousins off simmentals and charolais flatter to decieve in a lot of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Eby is a fine bull. Tall heifers suit so the ulsan might keep the size. Imo limousin only cross well on limousin cows. Lumousins off simmentals and charolais flatter to decieve in a lot of cases
    Oh Christ. and I after leaving a limo bull with the charlois s this year

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

All lm2014 calves. Very easy calved and good quality. Should be ok on heifers

• Advertisement

Eby heifer calf off a heifer at 23 months

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Edwenvale Ivor calves from 1st calvers. Bull out of a dartangan heifer and the heifer out of an altea heifer.

Both very easy calved. The heifer is very light but the bull is a fine calf. Allot is down to the mother though.

He's a great bull and I put him on 4 heifers this year

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Edwenvale Ivor calves from 1st calvers. Bull out of a dartangan heifer and the heifer out of an altea heifer.

Both very easy calved. The heifer is very light but the bull is a fine calf. Allot is down to the mother though.

He's a great bull and I put him on 4 heifers this year

Sorta agree with you CH, sometimes it clicks but there has to be more than ch in the cow. A ch bull on limo cows crosses far better for some reason. Not a fan of sims at all so no need to worry about that cross!

Some nice calves there Elmur Fudd, wouldn't mind ending up with any of them!

No pics attached Robin?

I dunno what to put on her now! Have her marked as 18 days as I missed her last month so just trying to figure it out before she actually comes in heat. Though there's three bulls bordering her so maybe they'll decide for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I your selling them as weanlings let me know I will bring mine out another day!!
    Fantastic stock

grassroot1 wrote: »
    I your selling them as weanlings let me know I will bring mine out another day!!
    Fantastic stock

Thanks. They where last years calves. Sold the bulls as weanlings at 8 months old they averaged €980 each and didn’t get any meal. Kept the heifers and have them AI’d to eby to calve next year at 24 months

Tried to mix things up at bit this year. Have some smashing sim calves off SI4147 curaheen gunshot. Typical most are bulls but lovely growthy calves. I’ll put up few pics over next few days if I get a chance to take a few.

Tried a few PT straws as well for the first time. Pic below is BZB bull calf at about 3 weeks old.

Thats a super cow, whats her breeding.
    How did you find Gunshot for calving, did many of his calves have horns?

Thats a super cow, whats her breeding.
    How did you find Gunshot for calving, did many of his calves have horns?

Didn’t actually know the cows breeding until the last round of DNA testing. She’s out REQ. bought her as a first calved heifer with a heifer calf at foot for €1200. She doesn’t owe me anything. That’s her 7th calf and she’s only a 2 star.

None of SI4147 calves had horns. No problems calving. The calves came at nice size. Few pics below just calved. They have grown well since. Must get few pics of them now.

SI4147

SI4147

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Didn’t actually know the cows breeding until the last round of DNA testing. She’s out REQ. bought her as a first calved heifer with a heifer calf at foot for €1200. She doesn’t owe me anything. That’s her 7th calf and she’s only a 2 star.

None of SI4147 calves had horns. No problems calving. The calves came at nice size. Few pics below just calved. They have grown well since. Must get few pics of them now.

REQ through fairly average calves but bred some great cows on this farm

• Advertisement

No pics attached Robin

Not sure what happened there. Hopefully this time. 2 Edenvale Ivor calves from first calf heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Not sure what happened there. Hopefully this time. 2 Edenvale Ivor calves from first calf heifers.

Picture perfect

Picture perfect

Both born unassisted and working off farm that's critical for me. The heifer is a light calf but she's alive and well. The bull is out of a fair lump of a dartangan heifer and she spat him out.

I have used him on 3 blue heifers this year so hopefully I won't be back here eating my words next Jan.

Both born unassisted and working off farm that's critical for me. The heifer is a light calf but she's alive and well. The bull is out of a fair lump of a dartangan heifer and she spat him out.

I have used him on 3 blue heifers this year so hopefully I won't be back here eating my words next Jan.

Lovely stock as usual.
    Seeing as you use Dovea, have you ever tried Mullary Intrepid??

Lovely stock as usual.
    Seeing as you use Dovea, have you ever tried Mullary Intrepid??

No im afraid not Tanko. Looks like a great bull. I tend to just stick with what I know works I would use the odd new bull or special from Dovea list. Generally I grab the latest icbf bull list and paste into excel. Sort by number of calves recorded and filter out lower reliability bulls and pick from remaining bulls to suit particular cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Jesus there great calves, particularly out of heifers. What age are them heifer calving down at?

Impressive!

Between you & Elmer Fudd looks like it'll be a toss up between LM2014 & EBY :)
    Though i've a terrible habit of changing my mind last minute, womans prerogative & all that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Tried a few PT straws as well for the first time. Pic below is BZB bull calf at about 3 weeks old.

Lovely calf.
    Just had a look at him on ICBF. Docility of -0.24. Never seen one that low before!

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Jesus there great calves, particularly out of heifers. What age are them heifer calving down at?

The one that had the heifer calf was just gone 2 and the one that had the bull was nearly 3.

• Advertisement

Seaba wrote: »
    Lovely calf.
    Just had a look at him on ICBF. Docility of -0.24. Never seen one that low before!

I have a BZB heifer from an extremely quiet enfield plexus cow. She is a mental case altogether. Not suitable for keeping for a cow so not to bothered but it will probably go against her in the ring.

Advertisement