Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Seaba wrote: »
    Lovely calf.
    Just had a look at him on ICBF. Docility of -0.24. Never seen one that low before!

I've a PBR Lim cow here, that's -0.30. She is genotyped too. Funny thing is she is extremely quiet with me but looses it if a stranger comes around. Her mother was -0.46 on docility and a complete nutter. Had to put padlocks on the shed door when I was fattening her.:(

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

tanko wrote: »
    Lovely stock as usual.
    Seeing as you use Dovea, have you ever tried Mullary Intrepid??
    had one pb heifer off him a few years back, terrible pull, ended up popping calf hip before she came out, bone setter corrected, thought she would be very muscley in her early days but she didnt really turn out that way after, she was very long type heifer, had a super temperment, very quiet altogether, had her put in calf last winter but unfortunately she was stone dead in shed when i came back from work one evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

Seen a few calves off intrepid and I was impressed. All fairly shapey

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Seaba wrote: »
    Lovely calf.
    Just had a look at him on ICBF. Docility of -0.24. Never seen one that low before!

That calf is a bit flighty alright. Have another BZB bull calf there also and he’s very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Invalid user

Hi guys. I’m wondering does anyone on here have any info on where to get straws for some of the old classic Charolais, some of whom that are no longer with us. I’ve tried a few places but they are sold out. Looking for the likes of cf52, domino, Jupiter, major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Hi guys. I’m wondering does anyone on here have any info on where to get straws for some of the old classic Charolais, some of whom that are no longer with us. I’ve tried a few places but they are sold out. Looking for the likes of cf52, domino, Jupiter, major.

Put an add on donedeal and have a look on donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

See 52 & pirate straws on DD there now

Impressive!

Between you & Elmer Fudd looks like it'll be a toss up between LM2014 & EBY :)
    Though i've a terrible habit of changing my mind last minute, womans prerogative & all that :P

First 2 lim heifers are out of LM2014. I have them AI’d to eby

SI4147 calves

Bull calf of left DFD off an AA cow and bull calf on right EBY off a MBP heifer

• Advertisement

See 52 & pirate straws on DD there now

Can you share a link I don’t see them. Tks

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Elite pedigree genetics in the north have CF52 straws for €150 (discounts for larger orders). I dont know anything about them.

Elite pedigree genetics in the north have CF52 straws for €150 (discounts for larger orders). I dont know anything about them.

I got Ampertaine Commander straws from them when they were €60 each. They are €120 now. Sympa are €350 a pop now. Crazy money

http://www.elitepedigreegenetics.com/?page_id=73

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Hi all, has anyone any experience of what Lodge hamlet is like for height, i see his linear is at 31% but wondering if anyone has experience. Considering him on a Blue x Sim, will be 4th calver, she is not small but KJB left a short calf, was an e grade and 500kg at 11 months but was short.

Hi all, has anyone any experience of what Lodge hamlet is like for height, i see his linear is at 31% but wondering if anyone has experience. Considering him on a Blue x Sim, will be 4th calver, she is not small but KJB left a short calf, was an e grade and 500kg at 11 months but was short.

I got some straws from Munser AI for €22. He seems to breed tight muscley types, kinda like belgian blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

There's a lad on facebook called K Genetics who has been selling Major straws lately too

Theres a lad from Clare on Donedeal t/a Bullbank selling FZF (Mereside Favori) straws for €12, used him a few years ago and think hes a serious bull, a bit harder calved than average tho.
    Anyone dealt with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Anyone looking for more On-Dit straws?

https://twitter.com/BeefPrestige/status/1022913187807748097

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭High bike

wouldnt mind a couple of them

• Advertisement

High bike wrote: »
    wouldnt mind a couple of them

He brings a lot of length and frame to his calves, works best on small or medium sized cows with lots of muscle i found.
    If hes put on bigger plainer cows you’ll end up with giraffes.
    A great bull on the right cow tho.

He brings a lot of length and frame to his calves, works best on small or medium sized cows with lots of muscle i found.
    If hes put on bigger plainer cows you’ll end up with giraffes.
    A great bull on the right cow tho.

Looks to be an average enpugh topline on that heifer in the pic

Looks to be an average enpugh topline on that heifer in the pic

Probably a French heifer, they have different ideas about what cows should look like i suppose.
    I wouldnt judge a bull on one pic of a daughter.
    FZF’s mother is an On-Dit daughter, have a look at her.

Probably a French heifer, they have different ideas about what cows should look like i suppose.
    I wouldnt judge a bull on one pic of a daughter.
    FZF’s mother is an On-Dit daughter, have a look at her.

Ya looked her up there.fine herd . Not a fantastic top on her either. If bulls werent fed as much youd see it in them too

On-dit very poor on calving interval (fertility) too. Surprised at this, as he is well tested on the French programme. A lot of these so called great maternal bulls falling down on this. Cerberus (WGE) dropped like a stone on the last proofs because of it too.

Thanks for the info guys. Has anyone on here done an AI course or who would you recommend for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Thanks for the info guys. Has anyone on here done an AI course or who would you recommend for it?

Done it few years back with Dovea, thought your man was very helpful and not a massive group so plenty of attention

I did it with PG but thats 17 years ago now, thought it very good. PG, Munster Ai or Dovea would be your best bets id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I did it with Pg. found the guy training very good

• Advertisement

What do you all think of reintroducing a sire to a bloodline after 4 generations? Keep the line tight or don’t go there....

Advertisement