Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Is that a son of his or the actual bull?:confused:
    It's definitely him alright, they've a sign on the gate saying it is anyway. I asked around the tent and was told he's a stock bull now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Was at the ploughing today and looking at the different stands for new bulls, went into eurogene guy on stand very help full, then progressive and all the reps sitting around in groups and no interest in business,dunamasc have some nice bulls at fair prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Was at the ploughing today and looking at the different stands for new bulls, went into eurogene guy on stand very help full, then progressive and all the reps sitting around in groups and no interest in business,dunamasc have some nice bulls at fair prices.

I was there myself today, Eurogene were very helpful but to be fair so were pg. had a few questions on a few bulls and the guy I was dealing with was very honest in his assessment, no over selling really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Have never dealt with Eurogene, asked them for a price list for beef straws at Tullamore, they didn't have any.
    Gave them my email address and mobile number, haven't heard a thing from them since.

Looking for a bit of advice, have a Pbr cow out of dancer due to calf and assuming all goes well. I’m trying to get organised with straws, was thinking of using hamlet on her, but am I bit concerned as he has the double muscle gene and crossing with dancer might bring trouble, any thoughts...Mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice, have a Pbr cow out of dancer due to calf and assuming all goes well. I’m trying to get organised with straws, was thinking of using hamlet on her, but am I bit concerned as he has the double muscle gene and crossing with dancer might bring trouble, any thoughts...Mac

Used 3 hamlet last year on PBR heifers and calved no problem. Got one smashing bull, a nice bull and an average Heifer. Very long and well muscled calves but a bit on the low side. One of the dams is a very muscular Haltcliffe Gunner

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Worst purebred Lim calf I had this year was by Hamlet. Lovely calf when born but never really grew. Maybe down to mother, first calver, having very little milk, but still.
    He was tiny when born too and mother is huge.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭High bike

Have an Altea heifer due to him 1st of Feb

Worst purebred Lim calf I had this year was by Hamlet. Lovely calf when born but never really grew. Maybe down to mother, first calver, having very little milk, but still.
    He was tiny when born too and mother is huge.

I have a good one out of him. The dam is out of abi and he seems to be coming on ok, that’s why I am interested in him again.its a gamble anyway as to how they perform:D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Baalbec10

Has anyone used tomchoice jet, lovely looking bull, docile with great shape. I can get sexed female straws from euro gene. Has anyone pictures of calves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    Has anyone used tomchoice jet, lovely looking bull, docile with great shape. I can get sexed female straws from euro gene. Has anyone pictures of calves?
    Have a good few of him here, he is go2 bull for me. Can't seem to post pics here anymore. Lovely shape weanlings off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Anyone any experience with MBP MILBROOK DARTANGAN Et. On a Sunday usual ai man not available and asked another company for easy calving lm on maiden CH hfr calving at 24 months in March. See calving diff is 7.1%. Think I'll be in spot of bother here. Usually use zag on them. Anyone use him?

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Anyone any experience with MBP MILBROOK DARTANGAN Et. On a Sunday usual ai man not available and asked another company for easy calving lm on maiden CH hfr calving at 24 months in March. See calving diff is 7.1%. Think I'll be in spot of bother here. Usually use zag on them. Anyone use him?

Put him on a few cows about ten years ago, great terminal bull but can be hard calved, his heifers/cows were a disaster for milk also. Dumb idea for that Ai man to put him on a heifer. LM 2014 would have been a better choice. Hopefully it'll work out but i'd be expecting a bit of bother all the same.

1st time using him, he was a bit rough and ready.

One to have help on stand by with. Her sisters have calved away so hopefully all go ok
    Thanks

That's madness using a bull like that on heifers.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

That's madness using a bull like that on heifers.

im thinking the same and wondering if im better off to give her something to throw the calf now?
    she about 10 weeks in calf after scan.
    he hasnt and wont be brought back into the yard again, there is an element of trust.
    she is about 470 KG i would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭White Clover

im thinking the same and wondering if im better off to give her something to throw the calf now?
    she about 10 weeks in calf after scan.
    he hasnt and wont be brought back into the yard again, there is an element of trust.
    she is about 470 KG i would say.

I had him on heifers 5 or 6 years ago without any great problems. Management of the heifer pre calving will have the biggest bearing on the outcome.

valtra2 wrote: »
    Have a good few of him here, he is go2 bull for me. Can't seem to post pics here anymore. Lovely shape weanlings off him.

Any bother calving him, is there decent size to the calves as weanlings, are you planning on keeping the heifers off him for cows?

tanko wrote: »
    Put him on a few cows about ten years ago, great terminal bull but can be hard calved, his heifers/cows were a disaster for milk also. Dumb idea for that Ai man to put him on a heifer. LM 2014 would have been a better choice. Hopefully it'll work out but i'd be expecting a bit of bother all the same.

Agree, culling a pbr cow off him, a cat would have more milk:mad:would not put him on a heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Agree, culling a pbr cow off him, a cat would have more milk:mad:would not put him on a heifer.

MBP and ADX sound similar so, great terminal but no milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Anyone any recommendations for polled Limousin bulls? Munster have Karlos PP (
    S3253) who looks a nice bull. Previously tried LM2214 Idalgo PP and was very dissapointed

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    S3253) who looks a nice bull. Previously tried LM2214 Idalgo PP and was very dissapointed

So far polled Limousin bulls just haven't been good enough, maybe that'll change, time will tell.
    I see PG have a new polled bull Mira LM 5488 from Luxembourg, straws available next month apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

tanko wrote: »
    valtra2 wrote: »

Any bother calving him, is there decent size to the calves as weanlings, are you planning on keeping the heifers off him for cows?
    Ya have 2 hefiers of his to calf down this spring. Never had to pull one in maybe 20 calf. Nice shaply calfs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

MeheeHohee wrote: »

Bova have a very nice bull called junior, fine for heifers, not to much muscle and will add a bit of size and length. Has milk and fertility also. I am going to use him on a few Heifers in the spring.

Bova have a very nice bull called junior, fine for heifers, not to much muscle and will add a bit of size and length. Has milk and fertility also. I am going to use him on a few Heifers in the spring.

I have 5 of his straws here. Not sure on what cows to use him yet. I like the look of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Used him on about 10 heifers that all calved at 24 months when he was a young bull and his calving diff was a lot lower. He was considered easy calving as a young bull.

Most of them needed a jack, but nothing too difficult, more a helping hand. Some calved on their on own. You won’t be disappointed with the calves, good thick terminal calves that bring muscle as they grow.

Agree with other posters on the lack of milk. Kept one heifer off a very milky cow. She’s a second calved now and very low on milk.

I see Munster/Progressive have new Limousin bulls.

Ampertaine Nugent (S3436) - €50 a pop and not one calf on the ground.
    https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/AMPERTAINE-NUGENT

Telfers Munster (S3301) - €50
    https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/TELFERS-MUNSTER

I see Munster/Progressive have new Limousin bulls.

Ampertaine Nugent (S3436) - €50 a pop and not one calf on the ground.
    https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/AMPERTAINE-NUGENT

Telfers Munster (S3301) - €50
    https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/TELFERS-MUNSTER

I’d prefer a few calves on the ground before using him and at €50 a pop, he is being aimed at the pure bred market.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Two serious looking bulls. How do people find Elite icecream? Have many used him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Based on that Ampertaines bulls breeding I don't see his Milk figures moving in a positive direction.

Advertisement