Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Two serious looking bulls. How do people find Elite icecream? Have many used him?

I used him first time this year. If it's a heifer, I don't think I'll even bother registering her. Strictly a terminal bull.

Milk is disappearing like mad from the Limousin breed.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Some line up here;

Limousin Prestige Range
    https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/docs/PrestigeLM2020.pdf

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Some line up here;

Limousin Prestige Range
    https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/docs/PrestigeLM2020.pdf

Nugent catches the eye

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

adne wrote: »
    Nugent catches the eye

Saw that the Ampertaine herd got champion at Carlisle too. Would love to know if that Nugent bull is one of their best or is it just because a big Limousin breeder bought him and that got Progressive interested in straws

Saw that the Ampertaine herd got champion at Carlisle too. Would love to know if that Nugent bull is one of their best or is it just because a big Limousin breeder bought him and that got Progressive interested in straws

He was bought by Baileys Limousin which is owned by Tom Bailey. Google the name. :rolleyes:
    He also owns Goldies Jackpot, straws sold here by Progressive Genetics/Munster.

Baileys Ice Princess is the dam of Carrickmore Maximum ET, which sold for a whopping €38,000 in Roscrea last year. The purchaser was a syndicate involving, Bruce Goldie, the judge for the sale. He is the owner of the Goldies Limousin herd. The underbidder at that sale was a young couple, she works for guess who............Progressive Genetics. Just saying is all. :cool:

• Advertisement

He was bought by Baileys Limousin which is owned by Tom Bailey. Google the name. :rolleyes:

Baileys Ice Princess is the dam of Carrickmore Maximum ET, which sold for a whopping €38,000 in Roscrea last year. The purchaser was a syndicate involving, Bruce Goldie, the judge for the sale. He is the owner of the Goldies Limousin herd. The underbidder at that sale was a young couple, she works for guess who............Progressive Genetics. Just saying is all. :cool:

Knew there was that kinda stuff going on with Limousin's here but didn't think it was that blatantly obvious!! What other stories do you have????!!!

Knew there was that kinda stuff going on with Limousin's here but didn't think it was that blatantly obvious!! What other stories do you have????!!!

Ah, no stories. Just stating facts. Plenty of genuine breeders out there trying to breed good cattle. Great to see those kind of breeders getting on well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Some bulls are really sold for €23,000 less than what they supposedly make at sales.

Free marketing !!!!

adne wrote: »
    Free marketing !!!!

Yep, £50 sterling for a straw from a bull that cost €38K is great value. :rolleyes:
    https://www.semenstore.co.uk/limousin/products/carrickmore-maximus.html?section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Yep, £50 sterling for a straw from a bull that cost €38K is great value. :rolleyes:

And a royalty if the calf is a pbr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

His locomotion was terrible on the day too. The foreman that dovea bought was a far better bull to be honest.

His locomotion was terrible on the day too. The foreman that dovea bought was a far better bull to be honest.

It will be interesting to see which turns out to be the best bull in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

If I was to spend 50 on a straw I’d be buying Jackpot,put him on a purebred Simmental and he hit 500 kgs at 9 months,serious length and muscle,never seen a weanling to come close,good mom and got ration for a month before he was sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 p dogg

Is that Simmental bull Lissadell Jackpot that you put on the purebred cow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

Hi, I’m looking for opinions on bulls for heifers. I’ve a batch of 15 limo heifers all from 450-550 kg that I’m going to put in calf in feb. all are limo out of si or lmx. Is there any ch bulls in ai that are proven easy calving and suitable for heifers from peoples experience, I don’t always believe what’s written in the catalogues. Something with a nice balance maternal and terminal. Most are bred out of a zag bred bull. I’m not afraid of a calving jack either but don’t want major hassle. My ch stock bull is 13% so he’s out and the lm stock bull is their father.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Who2 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m looking for opinions on bulls for heifers. I’ve a batch of 15 limo heifers all from 450-550 kg that I’m going to put in calf in feb. all are limo out of si or lmx. Is there any ch bulls in ai that are proven easy calving and suitable for heifers from peoples experience, I don’t always believe what’s written in the catalogues. Something with a nice balance maternal and terminal. Most are bred out of a zag bred bull. I’m not afraid of a calving jack either but don’t want major hassle. My ch stock bull is 13% so he’s out and the lm stock bull is their father.

At the ploughing a rep from the Dovea stand said allot of Dairy men use CH2000 because he’s easy calved. I have no experience of him myself though

Sicilien S2014 from Dovea isn't a bad bull at all, 4% CD.
    If you search for "Charolais-Sicilien" on YouTube there's a video of him there.

Bivouac from Dovea seems to be a very good bull, whether he's suitable for heifers i don't know.

The gene pool of all class winners in roscrea seems extremely narrow I.e foreman. Cerebuses etc... be interesting to see the breakdown of winners by sire and grandsires

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Baalbec10

Team of bulls for next year. We have most of our replacements done so attention turning to terminal traits while also making sure each heifer will be a 5 star heifer. Blackwater ainsley for the 2nd calvers
    Beguin and hashtag for the heifers, criss crossing the salers and blonde
    Fiston for cows not been kept for replacemts
    Curaheen earp for a few pedigrees and the best cows
    Hashtag for the pedigree blonde cows trying to increase maternal
    Has anyone else there team picked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Thinking about it still. Have you had Beguin calves before? How do they turn out if you did? They are the more expensive of the Saler straws I’ve come across.

Excellent bull, very docile, good growth. We have two beguin heifers, 3/4 continental bred both weighing 600kg in September, born last April. Will be over 650 kg at housing in calf to knell. Killed a 16 month bull during the summer, from a hca x freisin heifer from beguin, killed out at u-3-, he is well worth the extra bif for the straw. Excellent bull all around. Will try get up pictures of his calves on saturday

Agree with Beguin. Was at Tullamore this year and saw a Junior Heifer off him, she was 1st in her class and the breeder told me she weighed 630kg the day before and was born mid November 2017. Lots of height and length. Would use him on a cow that brings a lot of beef and I think the mix would be nice.

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    Team of bulls for next year. We have most of our replacements done so attention turning to terminal traits while also making sure each heifer will be a 5 star heifer. Blackwater ainsley for the 2nd calvers
    Beguin and hashtag for the heifers, criss crossing the salers and blonde
    Fiston for cows not been kept for replacemts
    Curaheen earp for a few pedigrees and the best cows
    Hashtag for the pedigree blonde cows trying to increase maternal
    Has anyone else there team picked?

Every year i say i'm going to use more terminal bulls but end up using mostly maternal ones, still have good U and R+ grades off the bulls and bullocks sold tho.
    Have ZGM, LM2014, LM4302, FSZ, Bivouac, Frosty King, Derreen Declan and VTA in the pot, better use them before i go buying any more.
    What colour are Saler x Blonde cattle?
    Saler x CH cattle are a lovely golden yellow hairy animal, have you ever tried that cross?
    Curaheen Earp has turned out to be a very good bull despite what he looks like in the catalogues, have a nice heifer off him due to Highfield Odran next spring.

What do you think of Gamin, ZGM Tanko. I've a few purebreds in calf to him. Nothing born to him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Anyone used the shorthorn bull Chapelton Kingsley? Ai man told me he’s far too hard calving for heifers but from what I can see he’s just 3% CD

tanko wrote: »
    Every year i say i'm going to use more terminal bulls but end up using mostly maternal ones, still have good U and R+ grades off the bulls and bullocks sold tho.
    Have ZGM, LM2014, LM4302, FSZ, Bivouac, Frosty King, Derreen Declan and VTA in the pot, better use them before i go buying any more.
    Saler x CH cattle are a lovely golden yellow hairy animal, have you ever tried that cross?
    Curaheen Earp has turned out to be a very good bull despite what he looks like in the catalogues, have a nice heifer off him due to Highfield Odran next spring.
    It can go either way, had a few Golden and hairy while others are like a hairy limo. Yes I wouldn't be a huge fan of curaheen earp going by his catalogue picture but I've seen plenty of his calves and they all look good. Have him in a few cows calving this spring so I will be able to make my own judgement. Lm2014 has thrown serious calves, used him in heifers last year and no problems what so ever, all are doing above 1.4kg p/d and have shape. Any opinion on bivouac and highfield odhran?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

tanko wrote: »
    What you think of Bivouac?
    Would he suit a small muscle cow?

Maybe try Ludwig & Loki
    Earp is off Vio, VIO left great calves here (sadly all bulls)

Only two calves off ZGM here so far, a bull and a heifer. I think he's a serious bull, super muscle and shape to them. Will have seven of them next spring hopefully.
    Haven't used any of the Bivouac straws yet but from what i hear he's a good bull.
    Have been using Highfield Odran on heifers a few years now, he's very easy calved on heifers which is my reason for using him and good quality Bulls and heifers i think.
    Mostly Bulls here so far but have a nice heifer off him off a Fzf cow due to Knottown Roy in the spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What you think of Bivouac?
    Would he suit a small muscle cow?

Maybe try Ludwig & Loki
    Earp is off Vio, VIO left great calves here (sadly all bulls)

I had a VIO heifer. Great animal until she calved. Very poor with milk and didn’t take the calf at all. It was a disaster. I sold her after that.

Advertisement