Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I had a wee BBx bullock running with my cows this year, he pick up everone of them the minute they were on heat and I had them Ai'ed as soon as I could after that, out of 20 only 2 repeated. I am think of going down the Moo Call heat detection route next year, But there is something about them cross bred blues they are brilliant and picking up cows in heat.

Good man thanks. I had the wildest little b*****d we ever had running with the spring girls but the most useful thing he did was excite them on me. These autumn ones have a wee lim and sim bullock running with them. It took the injection this time though because they weren’t too keen on jumping until then. Moocall looks a good job and I saw a demo presentation on it but hard to justify the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

Was at the limousine bull sale in tullow today. First time going to a sale. 20 bulls. First 7 bulls did not even get a bid. Think they were only 5 bulls sold altogether. In fairness think I counted only 25 ppl there

valtra2 wrote: »
    Was at the limousine bull sale in tullow today. First time going to a sale. 20 bulls. First 7 bulls did not even get a bid. Think they were only 5 bulls sold altogether. In fairness think I counted only 25 ppl there

That’s shocking. Who can get to a sale on a Wednesday like? What did they go for? Would that sale not be better at night?

squinn2912 wrote: »
    That’s shocking. Who can get to a sale on a Wednesday like? What did they go for? Would that sale not be better at night?

The champion made 2600, reserve made same I think and 2 more made about 2200 and one or 2 made less. Think it was 5 or 6 that sold. Rest did not get a bid. In fairness 5 or 6 of them were no where near show bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Did you see Lot 5? He was by Loyal, the easy calving Bova bull.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Ya think he was reserve champion. Nice bull lovely shape but thought a bit to low.

Was the heifer there? The last lot.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Money no object to the show man. Just look at the recent Martin O’Connor sale in Elphin. Crazy prices

Anyone know what part of the country the €4750 heifer went to?

Was the heifer there? The last lot.

Did not see it no

dodo mommy wrote: »

That’s insane how the hell is that made back? Would she get half of it ever on the hook?

On another note I saw that the tullamore lads had a heifer sale anyone know how it went?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

All of the top priced heifers were bought by Tateetra & Rathmore farm ltd based in county Louth & meath. It is a 1000Ac farm with around 500 cows/dry stock. They themselves had a recent sale of weanlings show heifers.

obviously the suckler man or part time show man cannot compete with these guys, they bought a heifer for 5k that night but they are buying these heifer to breed future show calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The show calf game is the biggest Pyramid scheme going.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Here’s a snapshot of the twitter page, loyal bull made €2500

That's an interesting take and description. I think the idea is that if you have 10 show heifers you'll get a premium too for an 11th inferior one at a special sale. I can't see how anyone could make that money back on those heifers. Frustrates the life out of me. But long term even for those farms it isn't sustainable. How do you ever get out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

That heifer is bred off the much maligned ZAG. Maybe he's not such a bad bull after all:D

Young relative had a ZAG bull this year from a very plain cow. I told him to use him as she was a bit small and tight at the hips. Some calf. A little butty but around 350kg at 7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I have used Zag a bit this last 3 years or so, I have 3 daughters of his due in the spring, so it will be interesting to see how they go, I sold 3 sons - bullocks back in August they were a bit butty but shapely, they were in around 630 kgs at 26 months and they all made over €1,500, their mammies would be average enough. He is very easy calved and the calves are fairly quite so for them 2 reason I like him. If the 3 daughters go ok I have another 4 to go to the bull July 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

ZAG is a super bull when put on bigger framed cows that need a muscle and shape injection, no point putting him on small cows. His calves are quiet too i find.
    Have two heifers calved off him calved this spring, calves did ok but i don't think ZAG will improve milk. They're back in calf again, don't know if they'll be staying longterm, have some nice SimxLim heifers coming on.

Two bulls I’m not keen on ZAG and Apostle. But had an apostle second calver with a young bull calf I sold for £1760 last year. Her first calf ZAG sold with heifer calf at foot this year at £1350 not wonderful when you go to the bother of AI. First price was very good. Sorry I took the second price she had two comrades sold at £1480 and £1620 which was good for this year. They were all our breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

That's an interesting take and description. I think the idea is that if you have 10 show heifers you'll get a premium too for an 11th inferior one at a special sale. I can't see how anyone could make that money back on those heifers. Frustrates the life out of me. But long term even for those farms it isn't sustainable. How do you ever get out?

The reason I say that is that like any pyramid scheme it’s based on the idea of “if you buy what I have you can be rich like me”. The lads at the top make money but the masses below lose their shirt chasing a dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ah but it's great while it's there, for me I can sell stock and buyers can see stock!

The reason I say that is that like any pyramid scheme it’s based on the idea of “if you buy what I have you can be rich like me”. The lads at the top make money but the masses below lose their shirt chasing a dream.

I totally agree with you I’m not arguing. It’s a cloud floating around based on a myth. These big outfits propping each other up to buy animals at a ransom and then the small man gets fooled into giving way over the odds. Prices like that you wouldn’t get for pedigree stock you’d think they were buying fur coats

The "I buy you stock and you buy mine" still goes on in the pedigree game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

She would be a cheap heifer if she looses the calf. Utter madness and all for to drive lads mad to buy them.

The "I buy you stock and you buy mine" still goes on in the pedigree game.

Of course it does. In fact, it goes on with every type of stock. I saw an agent a few weeks ago buying and selling 25-30 animals. When one he was selling went on the market he threw on half a dozen bids himself. You couldn’t be up to people.

But as much as it goes on with all cattle it’s got to be rife with these flecked show ones. When they’re not a fad anymore what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

It's a hobby for lads. Don't be trying to make sense of it all through normal farming logic.
    Always makes me laugh of how upset people get every year when these sales take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

It's a hobby for lads. Don't be trying to make sense of it all through normal farming logic.
    Always makes me laugh of how upset people get every year when these sales take place.

Well said. I'd a friend who bought a time trial bike for €3500, easily justified it by saying he never went to Oz drinking pints and chasing women like every one else.

Ai man coming in half an hour to serve two lim heifers. Just over the 400kgs so not big girls. Any recommendations for what to put in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Ai man coming in half an hour to serve two lim heifers. Just over the 400kgs so not big girls. Any recommendations for what to put in them?

Moondharrig knell lm4217 if munster, ewendale ivor lm2014 if with dovea

• Advertisement

Moondharrig knell lm4217 if munster, ewendale ivor lm2014 if with dovea

Is LM2014 still available?

Advertisement