Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

I have a friend who's Bull has turned out to be not eligible for the BDGP (he was told on purchase that he was but upon Genomics test wasn't)
    and I was wondering if we could lend/rent one of our Bulls to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

pure breed wrote: »
    I have a friend who's Bull has turned out to be not eligible for the BDGP (he was told on purchase that he was but upon Genomics test wasn't)
    You would have to move him into your friends herd while he is using him and then he would have to move him back into yours when he is finished with him. I will show as two owners/movements when you come to sell him and may affect his price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭High bike

who said he was eligible the seller or icbf?

ICBF he faces a loss in money unless he gets a 4 or 5 star bull in.

The seller said he was eligible but Genomics test proved different.

Base price wrote:
    You would have to move him into your friends herd while he is using him and then he would have to move him back into yours when he is finished with him. I will show as two owners/movements when you come to sell him and may affect his price.

Yeah I was thinking that alright, I was just wondering how long he would need him for in order to be above board with the BDGP regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah I was thinking that alright, I was just wondering how long he would need him for in order to be above board with the BDGP regulations.

Have a look at the BDGP terms and conditions on agriculture.gov.ie.
    It looks like he needs to have a qualifying bull on his holding on 30th June 2020 and must have calves off this bull born on his farm.
    The bull must be retained on his farm for a year and if sold must be replaced by another qualifying bull which must produce calves also. The replacement bull would have to be kept until 30th June 2021.
    Maybe i'm wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Take them over a CH any day

Really? Why? We’ve had 3 ch bulls here all excellent. One wasn’t easy to calve. Never had a blue I could see it ever happening

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anyone order straws from Munster? How long does it generally take to receive them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Anyone order straws from Munster? How long does it generally take to receive them?

Depends where they are going. If you are ordering pre-order straws from them for your own Munster technician, then a matter of days.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Depends where they are going. If you are ordering pre-order straws from them for your own Munster technician, then a matter of days.

No sending to another company technician

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

No sending to another company technician

Depends on the day of the week they deliver to the company and then the day of the week the tech gets his straws.

Could take 3 days could take 2 weeks

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Really? Why? We’ve had 3 ch bulls here all excellent. One wasn’t easy to calve. Never had a blue I could see it ever happening

Calves are softer than the blues, hard calved, crap cows and need every day of 30 months to finish.

Now I was talking about the calves rather tan a stock bull because I use AI so that would be a different story Blue Stock bulls come with their own problems but in general CH stock are the most overrated breed in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

tanko wrote: »
    Have a look at the BDGP terms and conditions on agriculture.gov.ie.
    It looks like he needs to have a qualifying bull on his holding on 30th June 2020 and must have calves off this bull born on his farm.
    The bull must be retained on his farm for a year and if sold must be replaced by another qualifying bull which must produce calves also. The replacement bull would have to be kept until 30th June 2021.
    Maybe i'm wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

So say weve a 5 star bull as is and we buy in a new young bull this year (seller says he has the stars) and say he doesnt have the stars will the old bull cover us for that then? Hes only serving a few older cows this season and then hitting the road later on this year.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

Calves are softer than the blues, hard calved, crap cows and need every day of 30 months to finish.

Now I was talking about the calves rather tan a stock bull because I use AI so that would be a different story Blue Stock bulls come with their own problems but in general CH stock are the most overrated breed in my opinion

Ch the best seller as weanlings or stores. Blues a very narrow market if selling. There also a disaster as a cow. Crap feet. Crap calvers. Short life

Ch the best seller as weanlings or stores. Blues a very narrow market if selling. There also a disaster as a cow. Crap feet. Crap calvers. Short life

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

So say weve a 5 star bull as is and we buy in a new young bull this year (seller says he has the stars) and say he doesnt have the stars will the old bull cover us for that then? Hes only serving a few older cows this season and then hitting the road later on this year.

I was looking at the terms and conditions for BDGP 2 not BDGP 1.

If you're in BDGP 1 you only need to keep the old bull until July 1st this year to cover yourself. I dint think you need any bull after that.

tanko wrote:
    If you're in BDGP 1 you only need to keep the old bull until July 1st this year to cover yourself. I dint think you need any bull after that.

That would be excellent for my neighbour so if he was in BDGP 1. As he would only need the Bull for couple months? Would you know the dates for BDGP 1 and BDGP 2. We are in 1 but not sure about neighbour.

My experience is there’s not much difference in calf hardiness. Can be harder calved but bb can be very muscly as calves too so little in it. I’m not really a finisher but there must be some reason why ch are way ahead at weanling or store sales. If a ch cow comes from milk she’s a fine mother. Over the years the blue cows seem not to last a wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭High bike

tanko wrote: »
    I was looking at the terms and conditions for BDGP 2 not BDGP 1.

correct u have to have a 4 or 5 star bull on30th June

adne wrote: »

Lads around the ring seem to worry more about the colour of the hair than the quality of the beast.
    My oldest cow is a 11th calved BbxFr

I know most will disagree with me here but I’ve tried them and they don’t do it it for me.
    I can get Parthenaise and simentals to heavier weights earlier than Charolais and if I was to buy them at the mart I’d get them cheaper.

• Advertisement

Lads around the ring seem to worry more about the colour of the hair than the quality of the beast.
    My oldest cow is a 11th calved BbxFr

I know most will disagree with me here but I’ve tried them and they don’t do it it for me.
    I can get Parthenaise and simentals to heavier weights earlier than Charolais and if I was to buy them at the mart I’d get them cheaper.

An option if your finishing for sure but if your selling at any stage in their life pre finish nothing touches ch.
    Blue Is down the list behind ch lm, sim, aa for selling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is the BB type export trade to Italy completely dead now?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Anyone here using Eurogene this year? Any experience of some nice bulls they have? Would be looking out for ones without hard calving. Thanks

adne wrote: »
    An option if your finishing for sure but if your selling at any stage in their life pre finish nothing touches ch.
    Blue Is down the list behind ch lm, sim, aa for selling

That’s the thing just look at the FJ from a few weeks ago when they did the price calculator thing. Ch miles in front and lim pacing, sim lads taking a hit Lookin heifers but blues might as well be in along with others.
    You might get one or two cows to buck a trend surely. We had a who dunnit out of a blue lim cow so she’s some blue in her. One of our best cows early calves every year. There’s maybe 8/10 ch all here a good while and then 35 lim. If you were arguing lim over ch I’d be more inclined to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Anyone here using Eurogene this year? Any experience of some nice bulls they have? Would be looking out for ones without hard calving. Thanks
    Use Eurogene here
    Any particular breed you want to try?

Use Eurogene here
    Any particular breed you want to try?

Very good, anything you like in particular? Would be interested in the usual mix CH LM SA etc
    I’ve used them a few times before just wondering if anyone else had a trial and tested favorite!

Very good, anything you like in particular? Would be interested in the usual mix CH LM SA etc
    I’ve used them a few times before just wondering if anyone else had a trial and tested favorite!
    CH
    CH 2178 FFK & ALU bring good muscle weanlings but need height in cow
    UNV doesn’t need the height but calves not as muscular
    CH2195 hit or miss
    LM
    ABI UBY FZM LM2179 brought excellent calves
    (See on ICBF where 2179 killed an E)
    JSS is easy calved on heifers, daughter has lots of milk
    Used LM4007 once, wasn’t happy
    Neighbour uses as LM option and has great calves
    BB
    Great results off RSA CEQ ODY CKG (1 killed an E)
    SI
    CQA YFK great calves, sold well, sadly were bulls

Didn’t use SA

Cheers Hardknocks. Very informative there, I’ll work off that. I have bulled one for the Autumn with LM4007. What didn’t you like? Was it hard calving?

Cheers Hardknocks. Very informative there, I’ll work off that. I have bulled one for the Autumn with LM4007. What didn’t you like? Was it hard calving?

Put on a first calving heifer
    Easy calved, but calf was only a good store, was expecting better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Barron lad

Has anyone any thoughts on blues from dovea ?

Using them on blonde and parthenaise cows, looking for a bull that will be easily calved.Thanks.

Advertisement