Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Barron lad wrote: »
    Has anyone any thoughts on blues from dovea ?

Using them on blonde and parthenaise cows, looking for a bull that will be easily calved.Thanks.

Ohb and s905 on smaller cows, wbh and bb4399 on bigger cows, bb2247 for tall cows only easy calving,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

Ampertaine Foreman for Oh La La as you call it. He's not the quietest and at €100 a pop, she wouldnt want to repeat. :D
    http://www.elitepedigreegenetics.com/?page_id=111

Looking at a foreman bull. Whsts thoughts on him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

adne wrote: »
    Looking at a foreman bull. Whsts thoughts on him

I've a Foreman heifer here and I've seen a lot of pedigree bulls at sales. All the bulls seem the same type - tall and muscley with planty of width and length.
    Weakness would be poor enough back legs and docility might be a problem if the mother isn't quiet. Overall a super bull, but I'd be watching the other breeding in there.I know someone who had a foreman heifer and had to get rid of her as too wild. My heifer, now calved is as quiet as a mouse with plenty of milk.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I've a Foreman heifer here and I've seen a lot of pedigree bulls at sales. All the bulls seem the same type - tall and muscley with planty of width and length.
    Weakness would be poor enough back legs and docility might be a problem if the mother isn't quiet. Overall a super bull, but I'd be watching the other breeding in there.I know someone who had a foreman heifer and had to get rid of her as too wild. My heifer, now calved is as quiet as a mouse with plenty of milk.

Docility seems to be questionable alright. Will consider him. Bit over priced I'm thinking anyhow

annubis wrote: »
    lads how do ye find ampertaine elgin for calving, bought a young elgin bull last year, lovely bull with very nice pedigree, very easy calving figures like 2 or 3%
    have 7 heifers due to him, some starting to look very bulky indeed, only one calf to him so far and it was a 2nd calver and the calf was very big and serious pull, now it might have been the cow but starting to worry a bit :mad:

Howd eglin work out for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Folks how have you found Kilbride farm delboy bulls?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Gud Sunday morning to all, has anyone used whiskey infinity LM4377 what can any tell me about him would he be suitable for pedigree use? etc etc?

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Gud Sunday morning to all, has anyone used whiskey infinity LM4377 what can any tell me about him would he be suitable for pedigree use? etc etc?

New bull. I see only 6 animals registered to him on the Lim Soc database. Hard to justify €60 on a completely untested bull, in my opinion.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Bullbank have his straws for €12 a pop i think, you couldn't go wrong at that.
    You could try a few straws on mature cows and see how they go. He looks good, time will tell.

This is where I saw him, Semenstore;

WHISKEY INFINITY - LM4377

https://www.semenstore.ie/limousin/products/whiskey-infinity.html?section=

• Advertisement

Saw that alrite, it says €12 on the Bullbank Facebook page tho.

tanko wrote: »
    Saw that alrite, it says €12 on the Bullbank Facebook page tho.

Ya, I see that now. Would be worth a pop at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

New bull. I see only 6 animals registered to him on the Lim Soc database. Hard to justify €60 on a completely untested bull, in my opinion.

If you want the big bucks at a sale it has to be sired by the next hot new thing

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Someone was enquiring about blondes earlier.
    This lady is out of a simmental heifer, bulled her 2 weeks ago,think she ll make a good cow

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Ya know when ya see a clear slime from a cow before she comes in heat. Has anyone ever ai’d a cow a day or 2 after seeing this even if not seen in heat? Noticed 3 cows yesterday that had clear slime when lying down. Will be very interesting to see when they come in heat

I had a cow that had clear slime last Wednesday evening and was in heat Friday. Wondering now if I don’t see heat should I chance putting a straw in. Doesn’t make much sense I know but as you know some cows don’t have strong heats and are difficult to see

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Ya know when ya see a clear slime from a cow before she comes in heat. Has anyone ever ai’d a cow a day or 2 after seeing this even if not seen in heat? Noticed 3 cows yesterday that had clear slime when lying down. Will be very interesting to see when they come in heat

I had a cow that had clear slime last Wednesday evening and was in heat Friday. Wondering now if I don’t see heat should I chance putting a straw in. Doesn’t make much sense I know but as you know some cows don’t have strong gears and are difficult to see

We bulled a couple of cows that had clear slim at the time, only signs they were showing and all held & calved this year

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

We bulled a couple of cows that had clear slim at the time, only signs they were showing and all held & calved this year

Just to confirm, you ai’d at the time you seen the slime?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Yeah, at the time if observed in the morning. Our AI man only comes morning time so if slim was seen evening before AI'd next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

If it’s a pure clear slime it’s the optimum time to Ai.
    If it slightly cloudy your a day or two off and if it’s pinkish/spots of blood your 2 or 3 days late

Have a teaser bull running this year and noticed a dark beige/white slime coming from a heifer yesterday morning. Bull bulled her the night before and I thought the slime was a sign of her going off heat. AI guy said it was the semen from the bull. The kind of thing you wouldn't think of. Heifer was well on at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Baalbec10

Does anyone know if sfl straws can be gotten, I see he is through bova. Commercial herd. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if sfl straws can be gotten, I see he is through bova. Commercial herd. Thanks

Can't be got anymore from Bova so I believe. Only way of getting him now is by buying them off people who have him already in the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Some of you were talking about Moondharrig Knell LM4217 lately, have you many calves on the ground now? Is he easy and are his calves docile? I’ve a good few heifers coming to him in August and ai man recommended me to use him today. Checked the docility figure and it’s not great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I’ve been looking to stock up on my ai sites and am planning on ordering the following:

Bova, Gamin, Loyal, Excel & Helilios.
    FZF
    Eurogene: Usse, tomschoice jet and for old times sake, ABI.

There’s a lot of other straws out there but I’m not gone on spending over €25 on a straw.

Dovea and Munster AI are my local companies so sorted with them.

Anyone any other suggestions? Thanks, Mac

If you're getting FZF straws off Bullbank i suppose you might have a look at Whiskey Infinitey and Rahoney Isaac. Don't know anything about them, might be interesting from a pedigree point of view, think they're both €12/straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Think it was Patsy mentioned before a gene ireland bull lm5983 IX as a bull with nice breeding.

Norman Inventor at €15 with World Wide Sires seems good value, but docility is very poor.
    https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1293612863

ERNEVALLEY MADISON ET with Dovea might be good value too.
    https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1548835878

Can anyone recommend a bull that would add good width? Something similar to Ardlea Dan. I have a purebred cow here that breeds offspring on the narrow side. The best bull I've bred from her has being by Ardlea Dan but he has no milk. Want something with milk and not hard calving.

New Jackpot bulls 1st day at work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Can anyone recommend a bull that would add good width? Something similar to Ardlea Dan. I have a purebred cow here that breeds offspring on the narrow side. The best bull I've bred from her has being by Ardlea Dan but he has no milk. Want something with milk and not hard calving.

I saw the first sentence and was about to say ADX is your boy but then I read the rest :D

Advertisement