Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Can adx still be got?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Can adx still be got?

Ya used him last week. Good consistent bull but zero milk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Can anyone recommend a bull that would add good width? Something similar to Ardlea Dan. I have a purebred cow here that breeds offspring on the narrow side. The best bull I've bred from her has being by Ardlea Dan but he has no milk. Want something with milk and not hard calving.

An easy calving Limousin bull that improves width and milk, you're not asking for much.
    ION bred tanks of cows here, well able to calve, lacking a bit of milk tho.
    Bulls off him weren't as good.
    Gamin brings great width, have a few heifers off him off milky cows this year, might keep them for breeding and see if they have any milk.
    Dovea have a new bull Brooklands Marco, serious breeding in him, going to try a few straws off him this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I have a nice enough calf from Bova Kiaser this year. Don’t know what he would be like for milk but he can’t be any worse

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tanko wrote: »
    An easy calving Limousin bull that improves width and milk, you're not asking for much.
    ION bred tanks of cows here, well able to calve, lacking a bit of milk tho.
    Bulls off him weren't as good.
    Gamin brings great width, have a few heifers off him off milky cows this year, might keep them for breeding and see if they have any milk.
    Dovea have a new bull Brooklands Marco, serious breeding in him, going to try a few straws off him this year.

She's in calf to Gamin at the moment. :rolleyes: I have Ionesco too, so might try him next time round.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Was looking through the Dovea catalogue and noticed a pic of my calf!they must have took it from my Twitter page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Can anyone recommend a bull that would add good width? Something similar to Ardlea Dan. I have a purebred cow here that breeds offspring on the narrow side. The best bull I've bred from her has being by Ardlea Dan but he has no milk. Want something with milk and not hard calving.

Lm2010 raffertys immanuel with dovea might be an option... very square bull....I’ve only the one off him and was impressed, have used him again on a zag second calver....actually wished I used on-dit to put a bit of height into them.

I heard that cavelands jolly’s daughter are good square cattle. I haven’t seen any though.

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I heard that cavelands jolly’s daughter are good square cattle. I haven’t seen any though.

Cavelands Jolly is off Ionesco and a Ronick Hawk cow, he should be a good bull.

Is your Ivor calf the one on the right above?
    You could always sue them for copyright infringement and make a fortune in the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

You could always sue them for copyright infringement and make a fortune in the courts.

I had a calf that was wbh but was put under a different bull hah

• Advertisement

Ya the one on the right. It’s no big deal but would have been nice to have been told!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Anybody buy straws from K genetics and bullbank any feed back on what they are selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ya the one on the right. It’s no big deal but would have been nice to have been told!

Take it as a compliment! Some calf. Bad form though did you even get a retweet,?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Anybody buy straws from K genetics and bullbank any feed back on what they are selling.

Got straws from both this spring.
    Both very sound lads to deal with and very knowledgeable

Got straws from both this spring.
    Both very sound lads to deal with and very knowledgeable

Did you get some Monaduff Snorter straws??

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Did you get some Monaduff Snorter straws??

No I got clenagh lyle and issac from bullbank

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Gudstock

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Some of you were talking about Moondharrig Knell LM4217 lately, have you many calves on the ground now? Is he easy and are his calves docile? I’ve a good few heifers coming to him in August and ai man recommended me to use him today. Checked the docility figure and it’s not great

Have 3 great heifers off of him, very impressed by quality - length and muscle.
    Easy calved, id still be careful using on maidens tho- im personally gone to aa and maybe saler on maidens, maybe using easy LMs on very plain large frame Sim maidens.
    One of the three is cracked stupid btw - when debudding she was climbing walls!!
    Saying that i had no hesitation in using him again this year, i figure very good easy calving terminal sire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I've had calf pics in both Bova & Dovea catalogues. Not a word about it to me til one day I was flicking through the catalogue for something & seen them. Doesn't bother me but as you say, would be nice to have been told!!

I've one Cavalands Jolly heifer to AI this year, she's a late May/Early June calf from last year so depending on when she comes into heat will decide when I'll AI her. Her comrade of same age- a BZC blue has been in heat twice now. Getting Gaspode (BA) in a fortnight to calve at 22 months if she holds. Better than the CH bull making eyes at her from next door :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has anyone used the Saler bull Knottown Roy SA4604
    Had him on a heifer who went to 307 days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Are you sure something didn’t get her 3 weeks later?

• Advertisement

Had a heifer calf off him off a Highfield Odran x Lim first calver, handy little thing.
    Nine months and nine days which would be typical for Salers i find.

307 days is mad, are you sure you're counting that right.
    What was the mother?

Had a heifer calf off him off a Highfield Odran x Lim first calver, handy little thing.
    Nine months and nine days which would be typical for Salers i find.

307 days is mad, are you sure you're counting that right.
    What was the mother?
    Sadly yes, moved away 5 days after AI’d, DNA came back showing Sire is SA4604
    Had another to Odran bulled 5 days earlier has a calf 3 weeks older

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Gudstock wrote: »
    Have 3 great heifers off of him, very impressed by quality - length and muscle.
    Easy calved, id still be careful using on maidens tho- im personally gone to aa and maybe saler on maidens, maybe using easy LMs on very plain large frame Sim maidens.
    One of the three is cracked stupid btw - when debudding she was climbing walls!!
    Saying that i had no hesitation in using him again this year, i figure very good easy calving terminal sire.

Thanks lad, guess you could have that with any breed in fairness. I liked Ivor but ai man stopped using him for some reason??

Sadly yes, moved away 5 days after AI’d, DNA came back showing Sire is SA4604
    Had another to Odran bulled 5 days earlier has a calf 3 weeks older

Salers are usually short gestation, freak things happen sometimes.
    KJB was the worst ive seen for that 300 days carry on.
    Did the calf arrive ok?

Salers are usually short gestation, freak things happen sometimes.
    KJB was the worst ive seen for that 300 days carry on.
    Did the calf arrive ok?
    Sadly Backways and arrived just a moment too late to bust bag over head
    Most annoying bit is I was checking her often
    Put a AAX bull on her and so far going good

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

Hi all
    Wondering did anybody use clenagh mischief a charolaios bull from pg
    My aim man suggested him but his figures are high as regards calving diff
    Thanks

jd06 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Thanks

I doubt if many would be brave enough to try the likes of him. Big chance of a section i'd say.
    Ai technicians sometimes reccomend straws of bulls that they bought and want to get rid of but they won't be around at 4am some night when the calf is arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

jd06 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Thanks

On a good mature calver, restricted enough, i wouldnt fear him, looks a good bull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fanmanad

Belongs to a neighbour of mine. Cracking calf

Advertisement