Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

I've one bullong this am, 35 days after calving. Would she hold if served? I had 42 days in my head for some reason after calving

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tellmeabit wrote: »
    I've one bullong this am, 35 days after calving. Would she hold if served? I had 42 days in my head for some reason after calving

Chance her in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

tellmeabit wrote: »

Should hold

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

I've her in. Will know in time I suppose. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭High bike

Gudstock wrote: »
    Have 3 great heifers off of him, very impressed by quality - length and muscle.
    Easy calved, id still be careful using on maidens tho- im personally gone to aa and maybe saler on maidens, maybe using easy LMs on very plain large frame Sim maidens.
    One of the three is cracked stupid btw - when debudding she was climbing walls!!
    Saying that i had no hesitation in using him again this year, i figure very good easy calving terminal sire.
    how many days do they carry to him on average for u think,have one due to him tomorrow but if say at least another week in her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

fanmanad wrote: »
    Belongs to a neighbour of mine. Cracking calf

Savage calf. It was a section tho,.
    The mother is a MVO X BYU X Angus.
    Would he have many like that every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

High bike wrote: »
    how many days do they carry to him on average for u think,have one due to him tomorrow but if say at least another week in her

Ours varied 1-6 days over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

tanko wrote: »
    Savage calf. It was a section tho,.
    The mother is a MVO X BYU X Angus.
    Would he have many like that every year?
    What you think of MVO?

What you think of MVO?

Don't know anything about him, hard calved Charolais bulls wouldn't be something i'd be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What you think of MVO?

Nice pedigree in him, never heard of him tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I've one Cavalands Jolly heifer to AI this year

What do you think of Jolly? I have an unregistered ped lim cow in herd. Medium to small in size. Looking for a bull that would compliment her. I wonder is jolly the sort of bull suited to tall or low cows

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

RobinBanks wrote: »
    What do you think of Jolly? I have an unregistered ped lim cow in herd. Medium to small in size. Looking for a bull that would compliment her. I wonder is jolly the sort of bull suited to tall or low cows

Cavelands Jolly Lm2395 scores 75 for height and 79 for length of back, so suited more to smallish muscely types.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Anyne here ever use Grangeford Jojo (LM23253)? I'm tempted to get some straws for pedigrees.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Cavelands Jolly Lm2395 scores 75 for height and 79 for length of back, so suited more to smallish muscely types.

Thanks allot Patsy. That’s good advice.how do you interpret these scores? What’s the scale? 0-100?

Thanks allot Patsy. That’s good advice.how do you interpret these scores? What’s the scale? 0-100?

Ya, these figures are percentiles for the breed, so 79 would be 79 out of 100. 50 would be average for the breed.

Jolly is 21% for Muscle overall and 74% for skeletal overall. So it depends how you interpret that. To me that's big open type cows. His back breeding, as said already, is very good too.

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1241276783

Ya, these figures are percentiles for the breed, so 79 would be 79 out of 100. 50 would be average for the breed.

Jolly is 21% for Muscle overall and 74% for skeletal overall. So it depends how you interpret that. To me that's big open type cows. His back breeding, as said already, is very good too.

Cheers for that. I have 2 lim cows that are polar opposites to each other. One very tall and no muscle. The other small with small bit of muscle. I am going to give both Jolly for the craic. Will be interesting to see how they compare.

His back breeding, as said already, is very good too.

He has great breeding alright.

I have a few lodge hamlet straws. Would he be suitable for blue cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Who2

I’d be thinking yes. Straws for him have got dear. I put him on an mbp heifer the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

This is the Jolly I have, off a tall enough cow but would be quite muscley in her breeding with ERE her sire.

She's just about a year now, her full brother this year looks to be similar to her but a better shoulder.

o5NsEmal.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Hi patsy, this is mainly directed those you, you keep a eye on the linear traits, I breed my own replacements, my heifers are mainly limx sim, my bull is lim and great shape but no great length or height, what ai bull would you cross these to? My ai man is munster ai. Thanks

jfh wrote: »
    Hi patsy, this is mainly directed those you, you keep a eye on the linear traits, I breed my own replacements, my heifers are mainly limx sim, my bull is lim and great shape but no great length or height, what ai bull would you cross these to? My ai man is munster ai. Thanks

It's the Limousins I watch mainly. If you want to add length and height go for high skeletal values. You can download the excel file from here;
    https://www.icbf.com/wp/?page_id=200

Sort then under Skeletal. Here's one I did earlier;

Active Munster / PG Lim Bulls - Skeletal Values with Reliability over 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Who2 wrote: »
    I’d be thinking yes. Straws for him have got dear. I put him on an mbp heifer the other day.

How much are straws now?

Hamlet X MBP should clik well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

I'd put hamlet on the tall scopy lim cow you mentioned.. I'll dig up a pic of hamlet calf off a leggy heifer

Hamlet calf off a heifer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Who2

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    How much are straws now?

Hamlet X MBP should clik well
    45 including service.

6 week off loyal ped heifer off a cloughhead umpire heifer. Very happy with quality and easy calved

jfh wrote: »

Bavarage on-dit, FZF or fl21 f you want to add length and skeleton all consistent in that department

adne wrote: »
    Bavarage on-dit, FZF or fl21 f you want to add length and skeleton all consistent in that department

ONI and FZF are great bulls on the right cow but i wouldn't use FL21 again if i was paid to. Wild leggy feckers is all i ever got off him.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    ONI and FZF are great bulls on the right cow but i wouldn't use FL21 again if i was paid to. Wild leggy feckers is all i ever got off him.

Ya fl21 v leggy n temperament questionable but if crossed on butty muscly cows brings a gr8 animal

Advertisement