Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ManRed20

Has anyone any experience with Whitecliffe James? What sort of calves is he breeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

ManRed20 wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with Whitecliffe James? What sort of calves is he breeding?
    Depends on the cow
    Have a super muscle calf off him (cow would have a bit) But small
    Heard of plain cows with tall plain calves
    Easy calved and short gestation (283 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

3EAF0CE4-115C-4E03-90EA-112286C75688.jpegLodge Hamlet heifer 185 days old,nice animal,long and wide.They should price him a bit lower and he fly out the door with the commercial lads

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Does anyone know if we still need to meet the 80% 4/5 star bull AI requirement for BDGP 1? As in the cows I am currently bulling to calve down in 2021. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we still need to meet the 80% 4/5 star bull AI requirement for BDGP 1? As in the cows I am currently bulling to calve down in 2021. Thanks

That 80% requirement is only for calves born up to the end of this month.

BDGP 1 ends on October 31 so you can use whatever bulls you want for next year afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Ya, these figures are percentiles for the breed, so 79 would be 79 out of 100. 50 would be average for the breed.

Jolly is 21% for Muscle overall and 74% for skeletal overall. So it depends how you interpret that. To me that's big open type cows. His back breeding, as said already, is very good too.

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1241276783

Hi Patsy, is there anyway to filter list of bulls based on skeletal data. Say if i wanted to call up all bulls less that 50 on height at withers, is it possible to do this? i looked at the page you linked but i didnt see a way to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hi Patsy, is there anyway to filter list of bulls based on skeletal data. Say if i wanted to call up all bulls less that 50 on height at withers, is it possible to do this? i looked at the page you linked but i didnt see a way to do this.

No, it can't be done. I posted about this a while back. I was trying to do something like that, filter or sort the 'sub-indexes' of skeletal for height etc.
    The only way you do it is manually and look up each bull after you have sorted them for skeletal. Very slow. Maybe one day ICBf will release all the data in Excel form.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

How do ye find ch bull fiston from Progressive?
    Have a few ai'd to him. Are they born big / small?. Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Fiston is a seriously good bull,born small and lively and after a month turn into muscle machines,great sellers as weanlings.
    Works best on CH Lm cross cows with a bit of height,can come a bit plain off pure CH

How do ye find ch bull fiston from Progressive?
    Have a few ai'd to him. Are they born big / small?. Etc

I've always found him very easy calved on cows, never had to assist any unless it was a twin coming backwards.
    He's lighter boned than most CH bulls. They're usually born small but don't be long shaping up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Anyone use Tomschoice Imperial, LM2117?

I was looking at the used straws & our AI man used him last week on one of the cows. Not sure which one exactly so the calving difficulty is worrying me. It was supposed to be Knell or ZAG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭50HX

Unless she's v narrow i wouldnt be overly worried at 6.7% calv diff

milligan2 wrote: »
    Fiston is a seriously good bull,born small and lively and after a month turn into muscle machines,great sellers as weanlings.
    Works best on CH Lm cross cows with a bit of height,can come a bit plain off pure CH

Good stuff. I have mostly simmentals, limousine and saler cows so should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Good stuff. I have mostly simmentals, limousine and saler cows so should be ok

Have you used the ch bull fenian at all? Seems a second rate compared to fiston. We’ve one heifer out of him crossed with a big white blue cross cow. She was always a fantastic growing animal but not as shapey as I expected. Calved about 6 weeks ago and Doing a good job

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Have you used the ch bull fenian at all? Seems a second rate compared to fiston. We’ve one heifer out of him crossed with a big white blue cross cow. She was always a fantastic growing animal but not as shapey as I expected. Calved about 6 weeks ago and Doing a good job

Fiston has 1 form of the Q204 muscle gene while Fenian doesn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

Fenian cattle have better frames and bone but less muscle.

Bought a wee sim bull to run with heifers. What do yous think of him?

He's very white, are you sure he's not a Charolais??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

tanko wrote: »

:D:D

Dunno what's got into our cows, three in heat today- A PB limo 2 months calved & a mother & daughter. The mother had the massive white calf not 6 weeks ago which needed help so I expected her to carry out to 3 months after calving, her daughter is only a month calved.
    Going to try out one of those red gene blues on the ch cow, she carries some sort of red gene as her daughter (the one in heat today too) had a roan calf this year to a lm bull.

Any ch which goes well with a Salers? Wanted Eclair but AI man hasn't got him.

:D:D

Dunno what's got into our cows, three in heat today- A PB limo 2 months calved & a mother & daughter. The mother had the massive white calf not 6 weeks ago which needed help so I expected her to carry out to 3 months after calving, her daughter is only a month calved.
    Going to try out one of those red gene blues on the ch cow, she carries some sort of red gene as her daughter (the one in heat today too) had a roan calf this year to a lm bull.

Any ch which goes well with a Salers? Wanted Eclair but AI man hasn't got him.

You’re Dovea
    Loki, Bud, Liscally Eti or Jasper 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

You’re Dovea
    Loki, Bud, Liscally Eti or Jasper 2

Bova/Dovea

Loki or Bud were my picks so will see what he has!

He has the straws I looked for for the earlier cows but I didn't expect these ones yet. Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Bova/Dovea

Loki or Bud were my picks so will see what he has!

He has the straws I looked for for the earlier cows but I didn't expect these ones yet. Typical.

Would love to see a Hideal (HJD) off a Saler, reckon they'd be a good combination seeing as his beef stats are very good and I can't imagine it being a difficult calving either on a mature cow

tanko wrote: »

Won’t upload it keeps saying 2 mb is too big... imagine a lovely Simmental bull

What’s his breeding?

Right click on the file and open with MS paint. Save AS and save in *.JPEG format. That will reduce the file size.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Right click on the file and open with MS paint. Save AS and save in *.JPEG format. That will reduce the file size.

Thanks lad. It’s on the phone. Any way of doing it on it?

Thanks lad. It’s on the phone. Any way of doing it on it?

Take a screenshot and upload it

Well?

Well?

Water........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Water........

Could do with some if you have some spare:D

Advertisement