Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Bova/Dovea

Loki or Bud were my picks so will see what he has!

He has the straws I looked for for the earlier cows but I didn't expect these ones yet. Typical.

Think ya need some muscle in a cow for loki tbh,
    Bud orpeus meant to be like csq but rather unproven,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Anyone try Laheens Master?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I went with Bud, wasn't sure if the AI man would have him so had Loki as backup. Like the look of him, reminds me of Hara Kiri.
    B2247 on the Ch, she's had 3 white blues so far, why not go for one more! Was tempted by the SOY straw again but decided I got lucky with this years lad so won't tempt fate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I’ve a CH heifer which could be bulled to calve down at 25 months next April. Think of putting an easy AA into her rather than leaving her carry on. She’s about 420kg. Would ye recommend it? Could also go with SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I’ve a CH heifer which could be bulled to calve down at 25 months next April. Think of putting an easy AA into her rather than leaving her carry on. She’s about 420kg. Would ye recommend it? Could also go with SA.

I'd go with a saler, especially if keeping till a 2 year old. Nothing wrong with an easy calving Lim too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

A Saler should give you a better colour of calf than an Angus.
    The likes of Highfield Odran, Knottown Roy from NCBC or Valliant from Bova are good easy calved bulls suitable for heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I served a smallish heifer with Dovea Saler bull, ULsan , SA2189. and she calved in March outside without any assistance.
    Good quality calf...well please with the result.
    He is at present listed as 3.5% calving difficulty for Beef Heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Thanks for suggestions. I have Highfield Odhran he’s 5.2% CD. Beguin is 4.3% CD. I might try Beguin on her so. The AA I would use is 4% CD so not that much difference really.

I served a smallish heifer with Dovea Saler bull, ULsan , SA2189. and she calved in March outside without any assistance.
    Good quality calf...well please with the result.
    He is at present listed as 3.5% calving difficulty for Beef Heifers.

Did she carry long with the 9 months

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

anyone here ever use a limousin bull called mereside favouri FZF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

RobinBanks wrote: »

I had a pbr cow but I only got one calf from her. Had to cull her due to putting her bed out. Have ordered straws and will use him. She did a great job on him. Can’t tell you anymore than that.

anyone here
    ever use a limousin bull called mereside favouri FZF?

I put him on most of the cows here seven years ago. Kept three cows off him. He's a great bull, breeds big powerful long cattle with very square ends.
    He's harder calved than average, calves can be big framed at birth but they weren't hard pulled if help was needed.
    If you want to breed heifers off him i'd use him on smaller/medium sized cows with good muscle and plenty of milk, he isn't the milkiest bull.
    If you google FZF on this site i put up some pics of his calves on the last photo thread.

tanko wrote: »
    I put him on most of the cows here seven years ago. Kept three cows off him. He's a great bull, breeds big powerful long cattle with very square ends.
    He's harder calved than average, calves can be big framed at birth but they weren't hard pulled if help was needed.
    If you want to breed heifers off him i'd use him on smaller/medium sized cows with good muscle and plenty of milk, he isn't the milkiest bull.
    If you google FZF on this site i put up some pics of his calves on the last photo thread.

Cheers tanko. I was planning on using him on a medium size blue cow thats not awfully muscly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Here’s this wee bull now. Please say it worked!!

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Here’s this wee bull now. Please say it worked!!

Nice bull, best of luck

Nice bull, best of luck

Thanks very much. More work getting the photo uploaded than getting him on the trailer! Should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Did she carry long with the 9 months

Calved at 286 days.

Calved at 286 days.

Thanks FIL has a nice 13 month heifer he wants to bull in 2 weeks time
    Sounds like a good option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

Used him on 15 medium sized cows over last two years to get replacements with better frames. Got 14 bulls.!! Good square cattle with gr8 length. Not the easiest calved. Assistance needed with some but not section territory either

Cheers tanko. I was planning on using him on a medium size blue cow thats not awfully muscly.

Hmmm, she'd want to be a good calver.
    If i used him again i'd only put him on cows that had at least three calves and had good calving ability.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Hmmm, she'd want to be a good calver.
    If i used him again i'd only put him on cows that had at least three calves and had good calving ability.

maybe i will stick with EBY so!

Anyone here with parthenaise cows? What breeds cross well with them? Limousin?? Blue??

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

Anyone here with parthenaise cows? What breeds cross well with them? Limousin?? Blue??

Have 4 or 5 pt x cows. They all get ch. sometime they bring dirty color. Sometimes they come goldy ch color

I really like them for a cow they put their soul into it. Great cross with lim bull

Ah don't mind me, i just don't like much hassle at calving time in my old age!!
    A friend of mine has some blue cows and a supposedly easy calved Charolais bull, saw a couple of disasters at calving there this year.
    Bluex cows have a habit of throwing very big muscly calves from what ive seen.

Have had a fair few U+ calves off the likes of easy calved bulls like EBY and ZGM here, can't ask for much more than that. ZGM is a serious terminal bull imo and very easy calved on cows, you should try him if you can.
    Have two calves off Dromanig King LM4302 this year, really like the look of them. He looks to be a similar type of bull to FZF but might turn out to be a bit easier calved and possibly have more milk, time will tell.
    Brooklands Marco from Dovea looks a fine bull, going to use him a bit this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Eby arent the biggest, dno would they suit blues,

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Have a few here.bred of Vulain.Got nice yellow charolais from fiston,Loki and lzf.brought a lot of muscle to calves. Happy with them.
    Also kept a zag heifer from one and she had a nice saler heifer from last year that I'll keep and a lovely fiston bull as a 2nd Calver this spring.

Eby arent the biggest, dno would they suit blues,

What about CWI?
    Had a smashing lovely CVV heifer off a BBxHO cow once

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Gudstock

I have a few Ptx cows and some LMs and Sims heifers off of them breeding in the herd now.
    Any of mine with PT in them really bring great muscle in the calves.
    Very impressed with LMx off of them, any continental really.

• Advertisement

I decided to go with Bivouac CH from Dovea. This is the cow

Advertisement