Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

limo_100 wrote: »
    i wouldnt bother with them theres better bulls out there than him KEZ AHC and ZBF if you really want them ring pg and see if there is any left

Ya, I reckon there's a lot better than IS4 out there too. No point paying big money for straws just because they are scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Nettleman wrote: »
    If anybody knows where to get IS4 straws? PM me. Thanks

Nettleman - PM'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

First KJB calf landed today, a bull calf off a CH cow at 297 days. Have a Limx cow at 296 days here as well. I know it's early days but does anyone else think he's going to be a bull that has a long gestation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »
    First KJB calf landed today, a bull calf off a CH cow at 297 days. Have a Limx cow at 296 days here as well. I know it's early days but does anyone else think he's going to be a bull that has a long gestation?

What are the calfs like i have given him to a pb ch heifer this year r they long wide tall etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

You mentioned this before, am I wrong in thinking that when we register all calves we include either AI code or Bull code, both of which are fully traceable.
    Essentially the tag number is known?

Include the sire.

All info from this animal can then be used by ICBF to improve €urostar indexes reliability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Just looking at our calves today, of the AI sires we've used the best calf this year is an Equalizer heifer calf off a ped Ch cow. A super super calf, but not easy calved.
    In 2nd place is a cracking Culard Ch calf again from a Pb Ch cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Just looking at our calves today, of the AI sires we've used the best calf this year is an Equalizer heifer calf off a ped Ch cow. A super super calf, but not easy calved.
    In 2nd place is a cracking Culard Ch calf again from a Pb Ch cow.

FZM does bring a good package, what breeding is in the PB cows? can make a diffrrence.
    Would the culard be LAO?

Farrell wrote: »
    FZM does bring a good package, what breeding is in the PB cows? can make a diffrrence.
    Would the culard be LAO?

Excellent Cow, Alcazar Cow, LAO is right. FZM brought some package alright. A monstrous big, wide heifer calf. I'll get a few pics together when they go out to grass.

Anyone calf down any Ardlea Dan (ADX) heifers yet. Wondering what they are like for milk. I have few heifers by him. I even have 3 from the same cow, 3 years in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Excellent Cow, Alcazar Cow, LAO is right. FZM brought some package alright. A monstrous big, wide heifer calf. I'll get a few pics together when they go out to grass.

Good combinations there, cows should be tall & good width in those bulls.
    FZM can throw the big (crossed on CEQ & LLX heifers), just watch diet the lsst 6 weeks.
    With the right Dam, both of the bulls will deliver rosettes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

LivInt20 wrote: »
    Include the sire.

All info from this animal can then be used by ICBF to improve €urostar indexes reliability.

Where do I get the code for my stock bull to put him down on calf cards??
    Iv looked around ibcf but can't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Do they not ask for either a code or a tag number? They do when registering new births online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Kovu wrote: »
    Do they not ask for either a code or a tag number? They do when registering new births online.

A bit old fashioned here kovu, still sending off the cards that cum with the tags ha. I must get onto this online stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

A bit old fashioned here kovu, still sending off the cards that cum with the tags ha. I must get onto this online stuff!

God I've no idea so. That's a bit of a slip up on the dept side. All that's on the card is AI code (if known) and breed. How are they tracking data with the bulls line then?

Where do I get the code for my stock bull to put him down on calf cards??
    Iv looked around ibcf but can't find it.

We have a Stock Bull too, and we assigned him a code. Say his number was ending with 599, we'd call him CH599 and stick that in for all his calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

All, looking for a bit of advice, took delivery of my 4 lmx bf calves off the Munster AI bull hca. Very happy so far!! Looking to do the same again. I have done a bit of research but am struggling to find suitable Bulls with good realibility. Short gestation is key as is reasonable calving ease, less than 8%. Any advice or first hand experience would be appreciated. The obvious choice would be hca again but I'd prefer not to put all my eggs in one basket!

I've six calves off KJB so far and on average have carried 22 days past their due dates, from 17 to 26 days over 9 months.

What about OZS. I had 17 calves off him two years ago and on average they carried 14 days past the nine months. I think he breeds a nice heifer and his calves have good docility.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

A cows due date is not 9 months after going in calf.

A cows gestation period is around 284 days.

LivInt20 wrote: »
    A cows due date is not 9 months after going in calf.

A cows gestation period is around 284 days.

Yeah, I know that. Not everyone uses that 284 days etc.
    If a cow is bulled on June 10th, I say her time is up on March 10th and if incalf to a limo on average I'd expect her to calve around March 27th give or take a week either side.

284 days might be the gestation period for cows carrying to a traditional breed like Herefords, Angus etc but it's more like 290 days for cows carrying Limousin Bulls.

How good are you at MS Excel?

Go into the ICBF site and download the Excel file from here;
    http://www.icbf.com/?page_id=200

Create a table then and Sort & Filter the data.

• Advertisement

This what I get for Calving Less than 8% (Rel >80%), Gestation then in the top 20% of breed (Rel > 80%). NCBC bulls only.
    Not a lot!

If it was me, I'd go with FL21. I've only ever got bulls by him but they have always been super animals. Milk shouldn't be a concern if the cows are Dairy types.

How good are you at MS Excel?

Go into the ICBF site and download the Excel file from here;
    http://www.icbf.com/?page_id=200

Create a table then and Sort & Filter the data.

Unfortunately, the day job means I am not too bad as an Excel jockey:D:D

This is exactly what I was looking for but could not find. Thanks for that!!

This what I get for Calving Less than 8% (Rel >80%), Gestation then in the top 20% of breed (Rel > 80%). NCBC bulls only.
    Not a lot!

If it was me, I'd go with FL21. I've only ever got bulls by him but they have always been super animals. Milk shouldn't be a concern if the cows are Dairy types.

What was their docility like? Cheers

I used FL21 on just 2 cows here, but over a few years. Both cows were 1/2 bred from dairy cows, loads of milk and quiet. Unbelievable animals to grow. I think all were around the 400 kgs at 8/9 months. Great bone in them too and very square and big at the hips. I'd be very surprised if you didn't get nice heifers from him, to be honest. Hard to tell what his docility was like as cows were very quiet.

Have you an arrangement with a dairy farmer?

You could try Ardlea Dan aswell. Gestation is average for the Lim breed, but he produces very nice heifers, very square at the hips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

PCH is a bull with serious maternal figures, am going to use him myself I i think, good heifers off him would be nice to have

Well my first ADX heifer calved today at 25 months. She calved 2 weeks before her time. A nice APZ heifer. She has very little milk but very quiet. Funny thing but she is out of a cow that's kinda wild but has loads of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Well my first ADX heifer calved today at 25 months. She calved 2 weeks before her time. A nice APZ heifer. She has very little milk but very quiet. Funny thing but she is out of a cow that's kinda wild but has loads of milk.

Congrats on the new arrival and potential future replacement! Did she calve herself? If you had her on restricted diet the milk will come with fresh grass.

With that breeding I reckon she's good maternal and terminal figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

Don't keep adx heifers as I'm in milk, but use adx on cows that wouldn't be suitable for friesan ai, my neighbour bought some of us and calves them down he says they are carrying 2/3 calves first laction, have more to move on shortly from him and oei and efz (elite flag)

just do it wrote: »
    Congrats on the new arrival and potential future replacement! Did she calve herself? If you had her on restricted diet the milk will come with fresh grass.

With that breeding I reckon she's good maternal and terminal figures?

Ya calved on her own. I checked her that morning and thought the pins looked down but they didn't feel down. Got a surprise then when I arrived home. Had her out at grass too but she wasn't gone that big in the belly, so figured calf would be small. But you never know.
    She's from a simmental cow i bought, Don't know her breeding but sh'e probably the best cow I have. Calves the first every year and always keeps in good condition with a great calf. The thing is I have 2 other ADX heifers from teh same cow, coming through too now and I'm wondering if they too will be short of milk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Any of ye have many cows go over the 300 days ?

I've a lady 300 days today and not a gig out of her

Advertisement