Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

ruben37 wrote: »
    Was just talking to a representative in progressive genetics this morning and he tells me Cottage Devon is still available but must be pre ordered. I just ordered anther four will be here in three weeks time, I just can not ignore the quality of his stock in every way.

Seen a daughter of Cottage Devon with her first calf this morning and she had lots of milk, she was out of an Organdi cow a supposed 2 star for milk according to the ICBF, the breeder tells me the Organdi cow had buckets of milk. Time and time again the ICBF stats are proving to be a load of Bull!!! Maybe in eight to ten years time it might be worth a use as a guide, although at the rate of ten a day dropping out of the Beef Data Genomics Program it's not looking good.
    Contacted PG today, no straws

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

tanko wrote: »
    The reason I'm asking about Angus Bulls is because I have mostly 3/4 lim cows here now, most of which lack a bit of milk. Trying to keep a closed herd and breed replacements. Farm here is wet and cows are on slats for six months most years, no cubicles. So want a hardy medium sized cow.
    Had a lot of AngusX cowss years ago and have a lot of time for them, easy fed, good feet, good fertility and will have R+ or U grade calves of Ai lim/ch Bulls.
    Will be keeping heifers to eighteen months and selling Bulls as weanlings from now on.
    Put the Saler bull Rio on heifers this year, a neighbour has a CH bull and Saler cows which produce calves with the golden yellow hair which sells so well now. Docility isn't great with some of them tho.
    ZLL looks like a good bull for heifers calving at 2 yr old anyway, his easy calving and high milk is giving him the super maternal figure.

Give GJB a shot

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Guys any of ye any experience with the ch bull MVO? I used to have a pd cow off him and she was a cracker. Every time I ask my AI man to give him to a cow he doesn't have the straws but promises that he will get a few for the tank.
    He's a serious looking bull I'd love to see how he'd cross on lm and blue cow's.

I Dont have first hand experience but know a lad that consitantly wins best weanling at Carrigallen mart with MVO weanlings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭limo_100

I Dont have first hand experience but know a lad that consitantly wins best weanling at Carrigallen mart with MVO weanlings

now that you mention it seen them on the papers several times outrageous quality

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ruben37

Had a June 14 MVO pedigree heifer sold her at nine months at 365kg, very happy with what we got paid in the yard no advertising as she was intended for a replacement. Mother is a bit of a spook with strangers about but her calf to MVO was very friendly, somewhat butty but stood out for her age and correctness. Was talking to the new owners last month and they say she has added nice length and due for AI at 24 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 ruben37

Anyone with experience of Guepard GPD pedigree Charolais bull? Friend had a very nice Pedigree heifer by him over the weekend out of pedigree Charolais cow on her third calf they had a bit of work to do to get her out, yet calf was up and sucking well withing the hour, no need for Colostrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

ruben37 wrote: »
    Had a June 14 MVO pedigree heifer sold her at nine months at 365kg, very happy with what we got paid in the yard no advertising as she was intended for a replacement. Mother is a bit of a spook with strangers about but her calf to MVO was very friendly, somewhat butty but stood out for her age and correctness. Was talking to the new owners last month and they say she has added nice length and due for AI at 24 months.
    He's -15 for milk, if you hear, can you let us know how she gets on

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

The reason I'm asking about Angus Bulls is because I have mostly 3/4 lim cows here now, most of which lack a bit of milk. Trying to keep a closed herd and breed replacements. Farm here is wet and cows are on slats for six months most years, no cubicles. So want a hardy medium sized cow.
    Had a lot of AngusX cowss years ago and have a lot of time for them, easy fed, good feet, good fertility and will have R+ or U grade calves of Ai lim/ch Bulls.
    Will be keeping heifers to eighteen months and selling Bulls as weanlings from now on.
    Put the Saler bull Rio on heifers this year, a neighbour has a CH bull and Saler cows which produce calves with the golden yellow hair which sells so well now. Docility isn't great with some of them tho.
    ZLL looks like a good bull for heifers calving at 2 yr old anyway, his easy calving and high milk is giving him the super maternal figure.

Good thing about ZLL is the red colour comes through so should colour Charloais calves the same way. Here are a few of the calves I have.

ZLL heifer off BZB first calver. The black one lying behind is Zll as well
    GUTld8r.jpg

ZLL heifer off CH first calver
    20HmrRy.jpg

ZLL heifer off AA first calver
    uCcm7am.jpg

ZLL bull off an AA first calver
    pWPFCNw.jpg

one day old ZLL bull off a CH first calver
    1GsqQHq.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

croot wrote: »
    ZLL heifer off AA first calver
    uCcm7am.jpg

Nice, very nice. Age?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Good thing about ZLL is the red colour comes through so should colour Charloais calves the same way. Here are a few of the calves I have.

ZLL heifer off BZB first calver. The black one lying behind is Zll as well
    GUTld8r.jpg

They're fine calves ,fair play to you. Shes a beauty.She'll make a lovely heifer. Are they quiet?

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »
    Nice, very nice. Age?
    She was born around the August bank holiday weekend.

They're fine calves ,fair play to you. Shes a beauty.She'll make a lovely heifer. Are they quiet?
    Very quiet. I've three cows from BZB at the moment and I'm very happy with them. All their calves have brought this sort of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

Lads have any of you any calves of ZAG on the ground yet and if you have what are they like?
    He's supposed to be breeding serious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

ALANC81 wrote: »
    Lads have any of you any calves of ZAG on the ground yet and if you have what are they like?

I'll have seven next year off young cows hopefully, starting in March. I've heard he's easy calved and breeding good calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

ZAG is by Apertaine Commander (APM) X Ronick Hawk, back to the G7 cow in the Castelview Herd. Both are good bulls so would be very surprised if ZAG didn't produce the goods too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

ZAG is by Apertaine Commander (APM) X Ronick Hawk, back to the G7 cow in the Castelview Herd. Both are good bulls so would be very surprised if ZAG didn't produce the goods too.

Did you ever use the other Bulls he has in Ai, CVV or CWI?

Did you ever use the other Bulls he has in Ai, CVV or CWI?
    I have a Castleview pedigree cow and her granddam is a full sister to CVV. I had used CVV before buying her and liked the way he bred.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭White Clover

I have a Castleview pedigree cow and her granddam is a full sister to CVV. I had used CVV before buying her and liked the way he bred.

I have a CVVxHKG cow. Excellent breeder. Her first 3 calves have averaged €1236 at 9/10 months. Can lie up against her in the field but doesn't like coming into the yard.
    Has a BB bull by Suarez under her at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Have a zag heifer calf born end of July out of a mbu dam. Very well made calf as good as she has bred so far!! I'll be using him again anyway!

I'll have seven next year off young cows hopefully, starting in March. I've heard he's easy calved and breeding good calves.

Yea we'll have 7 or 8 from him to. An AI man near us used him on some heifers, so far he's had 2 sections and 2 dead calves out of 3 calvings. He did say they were to fat at calving but it's not looking good for easy calving. They were PBR heifers .

• Advertisement

Have a zag heifer calf born end of July out of a mbu dam. Very well made calf as good as she has bred so far!! I'll be using him again anyway!

Was he hard calved?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

No calved herself very quick. Calf up and sucked within an hour.

Thats good to hear. I had heard he was going to be fairly hard calved but with his breeding he shouldn't be.

ZAG is proven for calving at 4.8% and 92% reliability, so average for the Limousin breed.

4.8% would be fine for any heifer maybe the AI man I was talking to should have managed his heifers better.

Yea we'll have 7 or 8 from him to. An AI man near us used him on some heifers, so far he's had 2 sections and 2 dead calves out of 3 calvings. He did say they were to fat at calving but it's not looking good for easy calving. They were PBR heifers .

I have a few off him. Good calves all unassisted and growing well. Very quiet too which is always good with Lims.

The majority of hard calvings that I've seen are caused by over feeding.

I have a few off him. Good calves all unassisted and growing well. Very quiet too which is always good with Lims.

The majority of hard calvings that I've seen are caused by over feeding.

Did you use him on heifers or cows? What are the calves like size wise?

Did you ever use the other Bulls she has in Ai, CVV or CWI?
    Fixed your post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

Anyone use Tut from eurogene charolais)
    He had great stars two years ago he was promoted strong on the back of the journal, but they've dropped a bit but the reliability is high
    I have a few on the ground but a good few more to come

• Advertisement

Fixed your post :D

Think you're mixing up Sean and Doreen?:pac:

Advertisement