Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ruben37

Farrell wrote: »
    He's -15 for milk, if you hear, can you let us know how she gets on

Will do, regarding the Cottage Devon Straw if you really want one private message me your contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

ruben37 wrote: »
    Will do, regarding the Cottage Devon Straw if you really want one private message me your contact details.
    Thanks, I'll be on in the spring after she calves

jd06 wrote: »
    Anyone use Tut from eurogene charolais)
    He had great stars two years ago he was promoted strong on the back of the journal, but they've dropped a bit but the reliability is high
    I have a few on the ground but a good few more to come
    He's been all over the place in stars.
    Up to last year he was 5 stars Mat & Ter & + for milk, last year took a massive dip but back up in ranking now.
    He breeds good store cattle, wouldn't have the end of FFK or ALU, but great growth, & FIL got good prices in the Spring for June 14 bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

He's been all over the place in stars.
    Up to last year he was 5 stars Mat & Ter & + for milk, last year took a massive dip but back up in ranking now.
    He breeds good store cattle, wouldn't have the end of FFK or ALU, but great growth, & FIL got good prices in the Spring for June 14 bulls

If his stars go up .will the stars of my heifers on the ground go up too????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Anyone use Tut from eurogene charolais)
    He had great stars two years ago he was promoted strong on the back of the journal, but they've dropped a bit but the reliability is high
    I have a few on the ground but a good few more to come

Had a bull off an aa x ch cow (very plain cow) last autumn that made 1070 at 6 months. Great growth rates and nice calf.

• Advertisement

If his stars go up .will the stars of my heifers on the ground go up too????

Suppose so

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

Miname wrote: »
    Had a bull off an aa x ch cow (very plain cow) last autumn that made 1070 at 6 months. Great growth rates and nice calf.

Any of the calves I have always have 2 colours eg orange and white
    regardless if the cow only has one colour
    My ai man said this can go against him as a pure charolais

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

tanko wrote: »
    Did you use him on heifers or cows? What are the calves like size wise?
    On cows. The calves are born small enough but growing well. Better growth than EFZ (wouldn't be hard) but not quiet as good as GWO.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

croot wrote: »
    On cows. The calves are born small enough but growing well. Better growth than EFZ (wouldn't be hard) but not quiet as good as GWO.

Good to hear that about ZAG we used him on some of our best cows so we have big hopes for a few of the calves.

When it comes to EFZ we only have 1 calf by him but he's the worst calf we've had in 15+ years so we're steering clear. The calf is 100kg lighter than an ADX and an FTY the same age.

ALANC81 wrote: »
    Good to hear that about ZAG we used him on some of our best cows so we have big hopes for a few of the calves.

When it comes to EFZ we only have 1 calf by him but he's the worst calf we've had in 15+ years so we're steering clear. The calf is 100kg lighter than an ADX and an FTY the same age.
    He wasn't all he was cracked up to be alright. He wasn't alone in being over promoted though. I have two APZ calves and three ZGH calves. From hero to zero with those anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭limo_100

He wasn't all he was cracked up to be alright. He wasn't alone in being over promoted though. I have two APZ calves and three ZGH calves. From hero to zero with those anyway.

Have an APZ bull calf this born sept hes the only one APZ we ever had i,mfairly impressed good growth and lenght and quite. Also have two KEZ born round the same time a bull and a heifer i'd APZ is the better bull tbh

APZ is not a bad bull for heifers he's easy calving and decent enough calves. His calves will never be over big fully grown but there nice and flesh up very easy. We have 2 heifers here that we're keeping and we sold a bull last year for just under €3000. There are a lot better bulls out there but for heifers he's a safe bet.

APZ is not a bad bull for heifers he's easy calving and decent enough calves. His calves will never be over big fully grown but there nice and flesh up very easy. We have 2 heifers here that we're keeping and we sold a bull last year for just under €3000. There are a lot better bulls out there but for heifers he's a safe bet.

O your a breeder, I'd still expect his maternal figures to bounce back to a 5star down the line. What do you make of the simmental bulls PG have was going to peg on a couple either AHC or AYX something maternal with good growth and size maybe I should use KEZ again see if I got unlucky this year. There new bull earp looks plain as hell would pass for a hereford

Has anyone ever used ULH, he's a INRA95 with Eurogene.
    Rep was pushing him at the ploughing for export type calves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya I'd agree on APZ and EFZ. APZ I think is just inconsistent. I had a very poor heifer by him but also a smashing bull, both commercial.
    You'd have to wonder about EFZ. He's only one star for carcasss weight, but he's by APM who is 5 Stars for carcass weight and grand sire is Vision who is 4 stars for CW.
    It was a lesson for me last year, only ever use a few of these new AI bulls until they are well proven.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I sold two EFZ weanling bulls and two GWO weanling bulls last month. This thread made me wonder how they compared so I looked them up on ICBF last night to see the average daily weight gain but there is no data for any of them and it says departed. Does this mean they were exported?

They were sold through the Mart so there should be some data I'd have thought.

Ya I'd agree on APZ and EFZ. APZ I think is just inconsistent. I had a very poor heifer by him but also a smashing bull, both commercial.
    You'd have to wonder about EFZ. He's only one star for carcasss weight, but he's by APM who is 5 Stars for carcass weight and grand sire is Vision who is 4 stars for CW.
    It was a lesson for me last year, only ever use a few of these new AI bulls until they are well proven.

Yea I don't know what it is about EFZ he has the breeding there to be a good one regardless what his stars say but he's seemingly not.
    I'm not judging him on only one calf either.

Ya the calves I have off him are fine but I was breeding for replacements and they are to butty for my liking so far. I'm keeping them till spring anyhow so I'll see what they are like then.

limo_100 wrote: »
    O your a breeder, I'd still expect his maternal figures to bounce back to a 5star down the line. What do you make of the simmental bulls PG have was going to peg on a couple either AHC or AYX something maternal with good growth and size maybe I should use KEZ again see if I got unlucky this year. There new bull earp looks plain as hell would pass for a hereford

I couldn't tell you anything about Simmental bulls I'm an out and out Limousin man.

Lads forget everything I said about APZ I got mixed up with my codes I got him mixed up with GZP a Limo bull. Feel like a fool now.

• Advertisement

I sold two EFZ weanling bulls and two GWO weanling bulls last month. This thread made me wonder how they compared so I looked them up on ICBF last night to see the average daily weight gain but there is no data for any of them and it says departed. Does this mean they were exported?

They were sold through the Mart so there should be some data I'd have thought.

you can go into the weight section on icbf and hit the departed animals and put in the date you sold them on and the weight they were it will tell you there weight gain

As I said earlier I'm impressed with ZAG so far and I'll use more of him on the Autumn calvers this year. Here are a few of the ones I have pics of.

ZAG bull born first week of September from a LMxHol cow with loads of milk
    TovPcDh.jpg

ZAG heifer from a SIM cow born mid September
    souUOcn.jpg

And finally the baby, a ZAG bull at one day old
    j2YT1pS.jpg?1

limo_100 wrote: »
    you can go into the weight section on icbf and hit the departed animals and put in the date you sold them on and the weight they were it will tell you there weight gain

Yea the Export & Sold seam to be replaced with Departed.
    I use to like the cow report for that & then hope the following year would have any kill figures to know how they did.

As I said earlier I'm impressed with ZAG so far and I'll use more of him on the Autumn calvers this year. Here are a few of the ones I have pics of.

ZAG bull born first week of September from a LMxHol cow with loads of milk
    TovPcDh.jpg

ZAG heifer from a SIM cow born mid September
    souUOcn.jpg

And finally the baby, a ZAG bull at one day old
    j2YT1pS.jpg?1

A few nice calves there the black calve is a nice lump of a calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Jesus I'm surprised to hear that ye were disappointed in EFZ. I only had two off him this year and they were both great calves. Won a prize for one of them a few weeks ago, granted they were off nice blue cow's.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Jesus I'm surprised to hear that ye were disappointed in EFZ. I only had two off him this year and they were both great calves. Won a prize for one of them a few weeks ago, granted they were off nice blue cow's.

My disappointment was because I use mostly maternal bulls on the autumn calvers and when I used him he was 5* but dropped to 3*. In the last 3 years on 5 of the autumn calvers I used GWO first year, EFZ second year and ZAG this year. GWO was the best calves and ZAG next so far. EFZ was ok but maybe I expected more from the way he was advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

ruben37 wrote: »
    Anyone with experience of Guepard GPD pedigree Charolais bull? Friend had a very nice Pedigree heifer by him over the weekend out of pedigree Charolais cow on her third calf they had a bit of work to do to get her out, yet calf was up and sucking well withing the hour, no need for Colostrum.

Only put one cow in calf to him on his first year just to test him out. Calf came out the side and the we ended up sending the cow to the factory, some expensive straw! The calf grew into a nice bull though, great muscle. Had terrible stars so we sold him off at 10 months fairly cheap

Came across an old PG (2009) Catalogue, Okapibb looked a nice bull, did anyone ever use him & how did he preform?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Came across an old PG (2009) Catalogue, Okapibb looked a nice bull, did anyone ever use him & how did he preform?

Only ten births....

https://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/564152728

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Would have expected better figures with Hermes as the sire

Advertisement