Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

adne wrote: »
    Any one know where i could get hold of an apm straw?

Powerful genetics or elite pedigree genetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Miname wrote: »
    Anyone any recommendations for a really showy type limo x blue heifer. Don't mention aa.

From my own experience last year do not use a blonde! This year I have used EBY on blue heifers based on recommendation from a few show people.

I know you said not AA and I would probably be the same but I seen an AA heifer from a blue heifer in carrick fatstock and she was a class animal.

I prefer lim on blue though. What AI company do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Kovu wrote: »
    Bitch is in heat this morning :mad: Boooooooo. Ah well, in for a penny, in for a pound!

Got to be in it, to win it!

Going to go a bit mad myself also this year.
    Going to flush our best cow (who is very quiet and milky), and after downloading the Replacement Excel file from ICBF and filtering (with reliability over 60%) by docility first, then calving difficulty, milk - I am going to match her eggs up with 2 Simmentals from Celtic Sires - Glebefarm Tyson (GFY) and Curaheen Tyson (TSO) at €50 each! and then to balance the bank account going to use Annaly Leo (ALO) shorthorn from NCBC - €10 and then depending on how the flush goes, maybe a Limousin from Eurogene Lennon Breezer (LM2179) €16.

Going to use the embroy mostly on cows as I am afraid of sections with heifers. Not as a high a conception rate but going for cows that usually keep first time for us.

€1,000 approx all in.
    Sure what could go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

On commercial cows? Are you mad? Hard enough to justify that game with pedigree animals

On commercial cows? Are you mad? Hard enough to justify that game with pedigree animals

A bit mad possibly but we have one daughter, off this cow, and she is our 2nd best cow. Quiet, milky, brings a great calf.
    Their quietness in particular is what I am after, which I am hoping combined with the 'quiet' bulls I have picked out, will result in a quiet heifer or two.

Dad is also 80 and I don't want him getting hurt - we have a few that you cannot turn your back on and he is starting to finally realise this himself after years of living in denial - they are off to the factory this year.

A couple of heifers off this lady, which will in turn be bulled with 'quiet' bulls, and after 5 - 8 years you could have a quiet enough herd. If we had to spend €3,000 (€1,000 over 3 years) it would be well worth it.

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »
    Bitch is in heat this morning :mad: Boooooooo. Ah well, in for a penny, in for a pound!

That's a pity, what will you try this time?

Seaba wrote: »
    A bit mad possibly but we have one daughter, off this cow, and she is our 2nd best cow. Quiet, milky, brings a great calf.
    Their quietness in particular is what I am after, which I am hoping combined with the 'quiet' bulls I have picked out, will result in a quiet heifer or two.

Dad is also 80 and I don't want him getting hurt - we have a few that you cannot turn your back on and he is starting to finally realise this himself after years of living in denial - they are off to the factory this year.

A couple of heifers off this lady, which will in turn be bulled with 'quiet' bulls, and after 5 - 8 years you could have a quiet enough herd. If we had to spend €3,000 (€1,000 over 3 years) it would be well worth it.

OK. But happens if you get no eggs or only one egg from the flush? what if some of the embryos dont hold? and what if they are bulls?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Sexed semen might be worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

or would it not be simplier to buy a simm heifers from a dairy herd and rear on the feeder for cows, the quietest cows you could ever have and home reared,

or what we used to do with my dairy neighbour, buy could ai straws and let in put them into square cows and buy the heifer calves to make cows and rear them on feeder always had good cows till we got TB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I think you can only use one bull/straw per flush. Friend does allot of flushing and that's what he said to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Blonde or part for a nice shape type animal? Sim or saler for a keeper?

Used sum SH dovea sir James this year on nice sim heifers, got his last 25 straws. Looking forward to the results. Hopefully sum nice shape roan type heifers.

Had a bull calf to him in the autumn. Bigger than most of my Charolais. Serious pull, but it may have just been how he clicked with the heifer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

RobinBanks wrote: »
    From my own experience last year do not use a blonde! This year I have used EBY on blue heifers based on recommendation from a few show people.

I know you said not AA and I would probably be the same but I seen an AA heifer from a blue heifer in carrick fatstock and she was a class animal.

I prefer lim on blue though. What AI company do you use?

I've no loyalty to any one company. Have the options of dovea, progressive, bova and eurogene.

OK. But happens if you get no eggs or only one egg from the flush? what if some of the embryos dont hold? and what if they are bulls?

Ya, there are 'risks' involved but it's not 'big' money I am investing. If this was a €4,000 or €5,000 job then no way.
    If I get no eggs well then all I will lose is the price of the drugs (€450 approx - can't remember the exact figure). If there is just one egg well then, ya, €450 is expensive for one egg plus the straw I have to get. If they don't hold - that will be the most disappointing. If they are all bulls, she brings a good calf so we should have decent bulls.
    Sexed semen might be worth a try?

Ya, was thinking that. Will see if the ones I looked at have this option.
    or would it not be simplier to buy a simm heifers from a dairy herd and rear on the feeder for cows, the quietest cows you could ever have and home reared,

or what we used to do with my dairy neighbour, buy could ai straws and let in put them into square cows and buy the heifer calves to make cows and rear them on feeder always had good cows till we got TB

We did this a few years ago with limousin heifer calves off a dairy herd. Turned out very lucky heifers but there is always the friesian in them. Plenty of milk but light in the back legs and it is awful hard to breed that out of them.
    I think you can only use one bull/straw per flush. Friend does allot of flushing and that's what he said to me.

I didn't know this. Will text my fella now - only spoke briefly to him about this. Cheers

two straws of the same bull morning and evening

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Miname wrote: »
    I've no loyalty to any one company. Have the options of dovea, progressive, bova and eurogene.

Well EBY is producing lovely stock and easy calved. Another new bull Tom's choice iceberg is a lovely looking bull out of Kaprico Eravelle who is a very easy calving bull. I have used both so well let you know next Jan!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

What do people think of EBY lovely quality but not as easy calved as they say IMO. Had a few nice pulls from heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

Why not buy as good a curaheen tyson stock bull as you can get ?
    That will speed up the process.

New batch of Gene Ireland bulls up on the ICBF website, maybe someone could put up a link to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

OK I'm back using AI (NCBC) and was thinking of using ZAG limousin. I was hoping to use some Simmental but don't like what they have. Any comments on ZAG.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

OK I'm back using AI (NCBC) and was thinking of using ZAG limousin. I was hoping to use some Simmental but don't like what they have. Any comments on ZAG.

I have some of them this year, nice shapey calves but i'm not overly impressed with them at the moment. Some of them are a bit flighty also and are a bit on the small side.
    He'd be ok on strong heifers or second calvers but I woulnt put him on older cows. I can't see a whole pile of milk in his breeding either.
    What do you want the bull you pick to improve?

Thanks Tanko. I've a few ADX heifers & Young cows here. They're all quiet but a little small and lacking milk. I want to add some milk, add a bit of height, and also bring up the stars for the BDGP.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Have you considered the new Sim they have now, Lisnacrann Fifty Cent S12469?

On-Dit would be a good option if you could get him.
    They have a new bull called Doudou td which looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

Would you be able to order Gene Ireland straws? If so the new Simmental bull Dermotstown Gigantosaurus SI2362 looks good. He's got a great pedigree and his Linear scores are solid, says he weighed 467 kg at 260 days.
    If you want to stay NCBC then Lisnacrann Fifty Cent looks the best Sim, although he could breed quite plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

APZ according to linear scoring weighted 578 at 281 days and AHC weighed 586 at 280 days. Haven't looked at many linear scores but they the most impressive I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭limo_100

KEZ seems to be performing fairly well and will increase milk

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭danjoe

Looking for advice please, buying a new bull , spotted one I liked but when I checked his breeding his grand dam sire is the same as our cows breeding line, is it safe to breed from this type of bull?? Thanks

tanko wrote: »
    Have you considered the new Sim they have now, Lisnacrann Fifty Cent S12469?

On-Dit would be a good option if you could get him.
    They have a new bull called Doudou td which looks interesting.

I rang my AI guy looking for this bull. He doesn't have him but he does have some Seepa Tee Jay (IS4) straws left in the pot. Happy days. :rolleyes:

Get them in cows quick!

• Advertisement

Ya, I know. Really surprised he had them.

Advertisement