Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

ONI has 799 Births registered to him on ICBF. It doesn't say how many of these are pedigree.
    In the Limousin Herdbook, there are 45 animals registered that have ONI as a Maternal Great Grandsire. So that's how long he has being around. So he has sons and grandson etc all out there working away already as bulls on commercial farms.

No but it gives %s of breeds just below that, plus up until Ploughing last year he was only available off of the Limo Society and was I think €25 so you'd imagine mainly pedigree breeders were using him.

Dams 90% LM

https://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/395536163

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

No but it gives %s of breeds just below that, plus up until Ploughing last year he was only available off of the Limo Society and was I think €25 so you'd imagine mainly pedigree breeders were using him.

Dams 90% LM

https://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/395536163

Ya, that's right. The point I was making was, how his sons and grandsons get on calving wise on commercial farms will effect his figures too. At least I think that's the case.

I see that ZCH, one of his sons is now 10% for calving. That's twice what he is.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

I had 5 calves off ONI last year, I'd say his calving difficulty is about right, he's easy calved on cows. He's brings a lot of frame but not so much muscle.
    If you put ONI on a heavily muscled cow and get a bull eg ZCH which will have both frame and muscle naturally they're going to be harder calved.

I used FZF a few years ago, his mother is off ONI, his calves were big framed calves at birth, not an easy calved bull but easy enough pulled ifykwim. They grew into big long cattle. Almost all the Bulls off him killed out U+'s at 450 kgs around 22/23 months old according to my icbf profile.
    Anyone using ONI would want to be using him on cows with plenty of muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

Farrell wrote: »
    He's got good figures, some of the other bulls with semen advertised by the iccs have poor ratings

His linear scores are quite impressive as well, so it'll be interesting to see how he does.

Yeah they haven't been bringing in the best of stuff the last few years, Elgin Davinci seemed to do alright for some fellas in shows and sales but he's very difficult calving. Utrillo Mic isn't too bad a bull either, we've a few by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

tanko wrote: »
    I had 5 calves off ONI last year, I'd say his calving difficulty is about right, he's easy calved on cows. He's brings a lot of frame but not so much muscle.
    If you put ONI on a heavily muscled cow and get a bull eg ZCH which will have both frame and muscle naturally they're going to be harder calved.

I used FZF a few years ago, his mother is off ONI, his calves were big framed calves at birth, not an easy calved bull but easy enough pulled ifykwim. They grew into big long cattle. Almost all the Bulls off him killed out U+'s at 450 kgs around 22/23 months old according to my icbf profile.
    Anyone using ONI would want to be using him on cows with plenty of muscle.

My AI man is telling me that ondit straws are all gone? Any one else hear this? I have 6 left of the 10 I got.

• Advertisement

Being looking at using a ch maternal bull on a few lm cows.
    Anyone any advice? Being doing my own research but can't say I've identified any?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Anyone any advice? Being doing my own research but can't say I've identified any?

Eurogene have TUT or Torino, PG have Digger, Viomo, Artois, Toledo, Dovea have Tresgold & Silian (spelling might not be great), also Eurogene & PG have Goldbar but €50 a pop.
    These Maternal bulls are alright if you get a heifer, but a bull could be plain when selling as weanling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My AI man is telling me that ondit straws are all gone? Any one else hear this? I have 6 left of the 10 I got.
    I used 2 On-Dit straws at €70 a pop in the same PB Lim cow this year and she never held. Fuming. Every other year she held to first service.
    Bavardage (Agb) is a good On-Dit son from what I've seen.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Eurogene have TUT or Torino, PG have Digger, Viomo, Artois, Toledo, Dovea have Tresgold & Silian (spelling might not be great), also Eurogene & PG have Goldbar but €50 a pop.
    These Maternal bulls are alright if you get a heifer, but a bull could be plain when selling as weanling

Farrell, I was just looking up tut there now, with regards the pg Bulls I seen them in their recent replacement guide but their not in the pg 15/16 book. Will give my AI man a call to see what Bulls he has.

I used 2 On-Dit straws at €70 a pop in the same PB Lim cow this year and she never held. Fuming. Every other year she held to first service.
    Bavardage (Agb) is a good On-Dit son from what I've seen.

NCBC had On-Dit straws for sale for €16 last Autumn and Winter but they're gone a few months now.
    I see Dovea have a new On-Dit son off a Ronick Hawk cow called Cavelands Jolly.

• Advertisement

Farrell, I was just looking up tut there now, with regards the pg Bulls I seen them in their recent replacement guide but their not in the pg 15/16 book. Will give my AI man a call to see what Bulls he has.
    Just took out the bedside reading (AI books under bed).p38&39 First, Artois, Castor, Calogero, but if you go to the website there's more.
    HHJ would be a good bet

Eurogene have TUT or Torino, PG have Digger, Viomo, Artois, Toledo, Dovea have Tresgold & Silian (spelling might not be great), also Eurogene & PG have Goldbar but 50 a pop.

In addition to that I'd add Heracles (HHJ), his calving figure is a bit high but he's off two tried and tested maternal bulls in France. Also Fleetwood should do the business. They're both pg bulls available at commercial prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

Have 6 tut heifers here ready to be billed there 15 months old
    Not sure what they are like for milk but turned out nice
    Tut stars fell like a stone
    When I ai.' d them tut was 5 star replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

NCBC had On-Dit straws for sale for €16 last Autumn and Winter but they're gone a few months now.
    I see Dovea have a new On-Dit son off a Ronick Hawk cow called Cavelands Jolly.

Where did u hear of this new bull,any pic of him about.?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

I also have a few heifers ready for bulling, anybody have any ideas what bull to use, I use Dovea, not over keen on angus, also looking for bulls other than Limos as have a stock bull but he may be on the difficult calving side, this is his first year so avoiding him with heifers for this year. would like to try a CH or PED but would be worried of calving problems, any advice.

The CH Sicilien S2014 looks very easy calved for a Charolais. I've never used him and don't know what he's like.

The CH Sicilien S2014 looks very easy calved for a Charolais. I've never used him and don't know what he's like.

He's so plain that I dunno would it be worth it, I mean other than the colour I doubt you'd get too many Charolais characteristics off him. Surely a Limousin, Simmental or even Parthenaise would be a better choice.

YA had a look at him, looks easy calving for a CH alright and he looks like a good maternal sire. Has anyone here used him, also in the previous post I meant to say Charolais and Parthenaise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Take a fools advice put an easy calving bull on your heifers get a live calf and a healthy cow and then use your a charolais or a part. Is it really worth the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

+100
    Shel go back in calf quicker and grow better after calving. Nice handy first calf will pay you allot more in the long run.

What sort of heifers are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

I'm using Limousin EBY from Dovea on some heifers - figures not positive for replacement but supposed to be very easy calved (which is main thing for me) and decent calves after (which would be bonus). Tried KJB last year - calves not very small, long gestation and not mad about look of them so far.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Take a fools advice put an easy calving bull on your heifers get a live calf and a healthy cow and then use your a charolais or a part. Is it really worth the risk?

I'm sure your right, just wondering is there something that can be used that can give nice calf without risk, its an easy calving bull I'm looking for just not over keen on angus. There Simmental and limo heifers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

What about a blonde? I don't know much about that lad that Dovea have in now though, he's only new so the figures aren't too much to go on just yet.
    Although I wouldn't put a blonde on Simmentals, they might come a bit leggy.

Kovu wrote: »
    What about a blonde? I don't know much about that lad that Dovea have in now though, he's only new so the figures aren't too much to go on just yet.
    Although I wouldn't put a blonde on Simmentals, they might come a bit leggy.
    Nothing wrong with a leggy blonde

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Canaryblue wrote:
    He's so plain that I dunno would it be worth it, I mean other than the colour I doubt you'd get too many Charolais characteristics off him. Surely a Limousin, Simmental or even Parthenaise would be a better choice.

There is a clip of Sicilian up on utube......he's not one bit plain....someone smarter than me might be able to put up a link.........I'm using carrickbrack hutch this year any views on him

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

mikeoh wrote: »
    Canaryblue wrote:

There is a clip of Sicilian up on utube......he's not one bit plain....someone smarter than me might be able to put up a link.........I'm using carrickbrack hutch this year any views on him
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ICIXT0dArE

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

That's him GP fair play to you!!...............he is a tank....a neighbour used him last year on a few fr cows and all calved by themselves

mikeoh wrote: »

Hadn't seen that video so pleasantly surprised, thanks for that! I was working off the fact he's 1.03 for carcass confirmation and the French give him 82 for muscle. I'd imagine Dovea got him to use on dairy cows anyway, so he'll certainly do the job for those fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

It all depends on the heifer and how good her calving ability is. It'll be important to manage her body condition and not let her get too fat.

PS, i hope no one is put off using ZAG because of what I said about him, had a closer look at mine today and i think they're starting to muscle up better.
    I'll try and get a few pics soon.

Would be interested to see a couple of pics Tanko if you managed to get hold of some. Have 4 heifers in calf to ZAG.

• Advertisement

Canaryblue wrote: »
    Hadn't seen that video so pleasantly surprised, thanks for that! I was working off the fact he's 1.03 for carcass confirmation and the French give him 82 for muscle. I'd imagine Dovea got him to use on dairy cows anyway, so he'll certainly do the job for those fellas.

He doesn't look too bad alright in the video clip, and with a calving difficulty of only 3% and with 68 heifers calved to him and only 6% scoring 3 &4. He sounds like he might be worth a go.

Advertisement