Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

Kovu wrote: »
    Tanko what's that Saler bull you use? One of the heifers I've to get AI'ed in the morning is a July 15 calf but she's as strong as the April one who's also for Ai in the morrow. Ideally would like them two months older but prefer to get a calf out of them early in the year so they can calve in the shed.

Used RIO last year but he's gone, trying Highfield Odran this year, hope he's easy calving. Ulsan, Garou, Valliant and Amiral might be worth a look, never used any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Farrell wrote: »
    PB not about, or does he not do that anymore.
    Why a SA over a LM/BA?

Because the ch heifer's dam had two sections so I want something easy calving but preferably not a black. Often heard here that the salers are calved small but grow into themselves well by weaning time.
    I had to use EBY today on a heifer and while his figure for calving ease looks good, I'm reluctant to put all my calves in one bull basket. :pac:

tanko wrote: »
    Used RIO last year but he's gone, trying Highfield Odran this year, hope he's easy calving. Ulsan, Garou, Valliant and Amiral might be worth a look, never used any of them.

Hmmm ok, thanks. I might just have to see what's in the AI fellas pot before I decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Because the ch heifer's dam had two sections so I want something easy calving but preferably not a black. Often heard here that the salers are calved small but grow into themselves well by weaning time.
    I had to use EBY today on a heifer and while his figure for calving ease looks good, I'm reluctant to put all my calves in one bull basket. :pac:

Hmmm ok, thanks. I might just have to see what's in the AI fellas pot before I decide.

Saler bull pzb is easy calved ,used him on fr cows and a few beef heifers good quality and grow after. got one off a ch heifer 3 years ago nice orange colour
    http://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/BONAPARTE

PB not about, or does he not do that anymore.
    Why a SA over a LM/BA?

Oh I missed your bit about PB, no it's PL that's away so I have PM as replacement. Jesus why do all the AI men around here have names beginning with P!
    Saler bull pzb is easy calved ,used him on fr cows and a few beef heifers good quality and grow after. got one off a ch heifer 3 years ago nice orange colour
    http://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/BONAPARTE

Would have been a runner but it's only Bova/Dovea this lad supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

If you're looking for a replacement animal I'd go with Ulsan from Dovea, he's french proven and his Milk is 14.69kg at 68% reliability. His CD is at 1% with good reliability too. They say he's best suited to well built heifers so I'd imagine he won't bring much beefiness from his side.

• Advertisement

If you're looking for a replacement animal I'd go with Ulsan from Dovea, he's french proven and his Milk is 14.69kg at 68% reliability. His CD is at 1% with good reliability too. They say he's best suited to well built heifers so I'd imagine he won't bring much beefiness from his side.

You're on the button, stuck him on a ch after arguing with Dad over letting me use one of those 'newfangled breeds'. Put EBY on the lim, don't know if she'll hold though, AI man could only get halfway up her :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You're on the button, stuck him on a ch after arguing with Dad over letting me use one of those 'newfangled breeds'. Put EBY on the lim, don't know if she'll hold though, AI man could only get halfway up her :confused:

Heifers might be easier to ai if they are standing in heat. Had a similar problem here too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Has anyone used semenstore.IE for buying straws? If so are they OK to deal with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Lady lou

Just curious. How much do AI Men get per Call out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lady lou wrote: »
    Just curious. How much do AI Men get per Call out?

30 and fiver for repeat but is very good.

• Advertisement

30 and fiver for repeat but is very good.

€30 & €10 for repeat here but if you say 7am or 7pm, he'll be there on the dot.
    Other bulls are dearer, NXB/CSQ are €35, Limousin 'Special' bulls are up to €70.

€30 & €10 for repeat here but if you say 7am or 7pm, he'll be there on the dot.
    Other bulls are dearer, NXB/CSQ are €35, Limousin 'Special' bulls are up to €70.

Csq is only 30 for us.

Csq is only 30 for us.

Damn, I'll have to get your fella!

Doubt he'll go to lovely Leitrim. He is from moylough area In galway

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Like others have said super stock, how many years AI have you invested in your stock. I know it's said that it's as easy rear a good one as a bad one, but the time, energy and effort into breeding good ones does not happen overnight.

Nothing wrong with yours anyway, there's several posters on here i wouldn't mind swapping a few cows with.
    Mostly Ai used here for the last 25 years, i try to breed replacements off the best cows and try and improve them every generation if possible. Yeah you'd wonder sometimes is it worth all the time and effort but it's kind of addictive at the same time. It's definitely true about a rubbish cow eating as much as the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Be worth your time checking out the Saler Bull Beguin(SA4059) too. He's now available with progressive, was advertised in their latest beef update. Highest replacement index of all AI bulls, he's proven in France and has better beef figures than Ulsan. Lots of stars in his ICBF profile too

Beguin looks good, pity he's €22/ straw.
    Certain Ai companies seem to be using the Genomics scheme to increase the price of straws unfortunately.

Our AI man is Bova/Dovea so that's all I stick with for now. He's able to get me others if I really really want them though.
    Main reason I used a saler is that I want to get a live calf out of this heifer, we normally put limos on all the heifers but I'm wary of the ch bringing big bone into the calving equation. :pac:

Our AI man is Bova/Dovea so that's all I stick with for now. He's able to get me others if I really really want them though.
    Main reason I used a saler is that I want to get a live calf out of this heifer, we normally put limos on all the heifers but I'm wary of the ch bringing big bone into the calving equation. :pac:

I had a CSQ CH heifer bulling on Sunday but was away so left her in the shed for the Ai Man to do and told him to put the Saler bull Highfield Odran on her. He put the Simmental bull Curaheen Earp on her by mistake, she's a big tank of a heifer. Ive never used that bull and am in two minds whether to chance it and let her go ahead or inject her and put a Saler on her the next time.
    Any thoughts?

I had a CSQ CH heifer bulling on Sunday but was away so left her in the shed for the Ai Man to do and told him to put the Saler bull Highfield Odran on her. He put the Simmental bull Curaheen Earp on her by mistake, she's a big tank of a heifer. Ive never used that bull and am in two minds whether to chance it and let her go ahead or inject her and put a Saler on her the next time.
    Any thoughts?

I can't remember ever using a SI bull so I have little knowledge of how the calves arrive :pac:
    Would this be a heifer I know? Surely not, she'd be 26 months now.

• Advertisement

I can't remember ever using a SI bull so I have little knowledge of how the calves arrive :pac:
    Would this be a heifer I know? Surely not, she'd be 26 months now.

I've used Curaheen Apostle (APZ) on young cows and he was easy calved but this Earp bull is new. The Ai Man thinks it'll be grand but it's easy for him to say that.
    Yeah, you might know her. I thought she was a bit small last year for putting in calf, i thought wrong:o

I've used Curaheen Apostle (APZ) on young cows and he was easy calved but this Earp bull is new. The Ai Man thinks it'll be grand but it's easy for him to say that.
    Yeah, you might know her. I thought she was a bit small last year for putting in calf, i thought wrong:o

If she's anything like her sister she'll have gone 'Whoomph' and sprung up to a good weight over the winter. Her mother has a habit of throwing calves on the large side but is well able to calve them, so I'd be slightly wary of using an unknown bull on her.
    Although I don't think her calf this year would have been too big until she decided to keep him cooking for 307 days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I'd definetly keep the Earp if she holds. Easy calving bull, a near 3 year old heifer calving is going to need minding before caving anyway because she'll be fat for sure. Plenty of straw 8 weeks before calving to melt her and a fist of oats two weeks pre calving she'll be fine.

Another two bulling this evening, that'll be almost everything done except two first calvers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Another two bulling this evening, that'll be almost everything done except two first calvers./quote]
    I'm finished here for the spring calvers and I've two Autumn calvers that dropped early and another two I'd say tonight, one scanned with twins. I wouldn't be too keen on using eby either, I've a heifer calf off him and I've friesains with more style to them than her.

Miname wrote: »
    I'm finished here for the spring calvers and I've two Autumn calvers that dropped early and another two I'd say tonight, one scanned with twins. I wouldn't be too keen on using eby either, I've a heifer calf off him and I've friesains with more style to them than her.

Maserati & Queenshead Altea for the two in the morning, no more eby being used this year unless they repeat. At which stage my usual AI man should be back and THZ will be used on them as the repeat straw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Any thoughts?

Isn't Earp off Vio?
    Use Vio here, so far just pop out no assistance required even at 50+kg, is he 4.6%CD?

Isn't Earp off Vio?
    Use Vio here, so far just pop out no assistance required even at 50+kg, is he 4.6%CD?

Yeah, Earp is off Vio alrite and is 4.6% calving difficulty but at low reliability. He's a new bull, i doubt if there's any cakves off him yet.
    That's good to hear about VIO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Yeah, Earp is off Vio alrite and is 4.6% calving difficulty but at low reliability. He's a new bull, i doubt if there's any cakves off him yet.
    That's good to hear about VIO.
    Sadly VIO can't be got anymore as he's gone to a PB farm.
    I've a good few cows incalf to him
    Here's hoping for heifers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Anyone using LM2014 from Dovea?

Or what is your opinions on him?

Advertisement