Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭limo_100

tanko wrote: »
    I had a CSQ CH heifer bulling on Sunday but was away so left her in the shed for the Ai Man to do and told him to put the Saler bull Highfield Odran on her. He put the Simmental bull Curaheen Earp on her by mistake, she's a big tank of a heifer. Ive never used that bull and am in two minds whether to chance it and let her go ahead or inject her and put a Saler on her the next time.
    Any thoughts?

you'll be fine a knowingly put earp on two 18month old charolais heifers last week, There is a handful of calves on the ground suppose to pop them out no bother

Farrell wrote: »
    Sadly VIO can't be got anymore as he's gone to a PB farm.
    I've a good few cows incalf to him
    Here's hoping for heifers

what are the vio calves like?? Have you any in-calf to earp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Anyone still using fl21?

Is it madness to use him giving the docility of his offspring?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

limo_100 wrote: »
    what are the vio calves like?? Have you any in-calf to earp?
    Have had 3 (2f & 1m) off VIO so far & hopefully another 3/4 next year.
    Really impressed, good growth. Haven't used Earp.
    A 7/8 CH dam brought a yellow & white CH looking calf & 7/8 LM brought all red with white mark on face

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

adne wrote: »
    Anyone still using fl21?

Is it madness to use him giving the docility of his offspring?

Yeah, i think it is madness, he breeds very square, growthy cattle but they can be feckin nuts. There's better alternatives out there both on the terminal and maternal sides.
    The quietest lims i have are off OZS, they're very easy to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Have a repeat heifer that I ai'ed this lunch time. (She was bulling mad yesterday evening and She was in standing heat this morning) Well she is still in standing heat now (same as last time) would you AI her again? Tomorrow lunch time or leave her? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Have a repeat heifer that I ai'ed this lunch time. (She was bulling mad yesterday evening and She was in standing heat this morning) Well she is still in standing heat now (same as last time) would you AI her again? Tomorrow lunch time or leave her? Thanks.

For the sake of few quid I'd AI her again tomorrow - could be delayed ovulation so second insem would cover your bases. Had pedigree heifer once that couldn't get in calf to AI - spent fortune on straws. Let her off with bull in end and saw him bulling her two days apart - she held anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

I know that feeling, have had heifers that I would've shown since calves and found them impossible to get in calf between not keeping and just not showing signs of bulling. A few weeks with a bull and they were sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Had a cow land a smashing heifer of sea view Tommy this morning, regretting not putting him on a heap of cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Miname wrote: »
    Had a cow land a smashing heifer of sea view Tommy this morning, regretting not putting him on a heap of cows.

Pic?

• Advertisement

Pic?

The mammys a bit temperamental after it. I might get her tomorrow if she's a bit more social.

What did you use instead?

tanko wrote: »
    What did you use instead?

A lot of shorthorn hoping for replacements. (Big mistake). One of clondroon calling who really turned inside out and a few randoms. I was walking through stock this evening and I reckon this year I've one of my worst batch of calves in general, some nice ones but a lot of scrappy looking animals, it doesn't matter how many stars they have im doing my own thing from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

A lot of shorthorn hoping for replacements. (Big mistake). One of clondroon calling who really turned inside out and a few randoms. I was walking stick this evening and I reckon this year I've one of my worst batch of calves in general, some nice ones but a lot of scrappy looking animals, it doesn't matter how many stars they have im doing my own thing from now on

Ur dead right and get rid of the ''unsociable'' ones:D

Decided to AI her again tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I'll know in three weeks!!

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Decided to AI her again tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I'll know in three weeks!!

put her in calf to a different breed and next time it happenes you will no what to do :D

put her in calf to a different breed and next time it happenes you will no what to do :D

Or I could be very lucky and get twins:D I remember reading that a cow had twins , 2 different breeds. I'll be happy if she holds to one of them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Here you go. A chance to buy an AI Saler bull (straws selling from NCBC). Lataster Ivan ZLA.

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/saler-bull/12705003

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Here you go. A chance to buy an AI Saler bull (straws selling from NCBC). Lataster Ivan ZLA.

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/saler-bull/12705003

he just looks normal noting special about him in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

he just looks normal noting special about him in the flesh

7 1/2 year old bull in his working clothes. I'd say he looks pretty good.
    Straws sold to France. Those lads don't imports straws of their own breeds to regularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

right lads, i've 8 heifers that i want to AI to easy calving high replacement index bulls. the heifers are a mix of BBXFR and LM.
    i was looking at SBU a shorthorn & JRM a saler.

anyone have calves out of these?

any good sexed semen beef bulls that might suits?

thanks

Anyone using LM2014 from Dovea?

Or what is your opinions on him?

Fine looking bull in his photo anyway. His very low calving difficulty figure is helping his figures. I'd imagine that'll rise a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

jfh wrote: »
    right lads, i've 8 heifers that i want to AI to easy calving high replacement index bulls. the heifers are a mix of BBXFR and LM.

thanks

I have a few SBU calves. A good option for a first claver but I thought he's not available anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Saw ZLA at Tullamore show a few years ago, he was a big boy back then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Probably wrong thread but ai'd a cow on Tuesday morning, the 5th. This evening (7th) i noticed a small amount of clear discharge slip out of her.
    Definately not in heat today. Was gone off heat by midday tuesday. Anyone know if this indicates pregnancy or not?
    She's usually one of the first to calf every year and holds to ai first serve most years. Had a hard pull this year but was fine after. shes broken every time she's been ai'd. Gave her an antibiotic in case she had slight tear or anything from calving in feb.
    anyone any ideas? Hoping she'll stick this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

RD10 wrote: »
    Probably wrong thread but ai'd a cow on Tuesday morning, the 5th. This evening (7th) i noticed a small amount of clear discharge slip out of her.
    Definately not in heat today. Was gone off heat by midday tuesday. Anyone know if this indicates pregnancy or not?
    She's usually one of the first to calf every year and holds to ai first serve most years. Had a hard pull this year but was fine after. shes broken every time she's been ai'd. Gave her an antibiotic in case she had slight tear or anything from calving in feb.
    anyone any ideas? Hoping she'll stick this time.

A cow will always have a swab from her a couple of days after heat, varies from cloudy to bloody. It's clear mucus when she is in heat.

Kovu wrote: »
    A cow will always have a swab from her a couple of days after heat, varies from cloudy to bloody. It's clear mucus when she is in heat.

Thanks. It was beginning to get dark when i got checking things this evening. Looked to be clear but could have been cloudy.
    its not as stringy as what you'd normally see stuck to their tails, More the consistency of the mucous when their in heat. More runny.
    Just wondering as i seen it come out of her before between heats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

RD10 wrote: »
    Thanks. It was beginning to get dark when i got checking things this evening. Looked to be clear but could have been cloudy.
    its not as stringy as what you'd normally see stuck to their tails, More the consistency of the mucous when their in heat. More runny.
    Just wondering as i seen it come out of her before between heats.

If it was at random times between cycles her system might be out of whack. The discharge after heat isn't really any indication of going incalf or not but it's a good sign that she was in heat and her hormones are back down to pre-heat levels.

Kovu wrote: »
    If it was at random times between cycles her system might be out of whack. The discharge after heat isn't really any indication of going incalf or not but it's a good sign that she was in heat and her hormones are back down to pre-heat levels.

Ya she was just walking up a slight hill in the field at the time and it just slid out of her. Last time i seen it was few weeks ago when she was rising on another cow in heat. Probably the consistency of raw egg white. not hanging from her or sticking to tail just slips out! I dont usually see it anyway unless their in heat themselves. Hopefully its a good sign!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

jfh wrote: »

thanks

Is JRM not an Angus?

SBU should be ok on LM if you can get them (or SZD altough RI is not hugely high - if you are looking for a lift).

I would probably use an AA on the BBxFR, just to be on the safe side, AA2025 or RGZ if they were mine.

Progressive/Munster have sexed FTY, KEZ, Casimir.

Think powerful genetics have a sexed shorthorn or two, Meonhill Fire Fox (P)...

Can anyone get on to Powerful Genetics website?

Advertisement