Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

limo_100 wrote: »
    hes a fair lump of a calf is he still your best calf? was hehard calved?? thats a fair lump of a cow anyway she make a good job with any bull id say. What bulls you being using this year

Yeah, I'd say he's the best one, she's off highlander, and is one of my best cows. She was too fat and had to give her a bit of help with ropes at calving.
    I used Lisnacrann Sunnyboy, On-Dit, Fiston, Gamin, Curaheen Earp on cows and Highfield Odhran on the heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Anybody use Derryolam Impeccible (ch) on their cows yet?im thinking of using him on a few big Charolais cows as he looks a super animal,good figures too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

milligan2 wrote: »
    Anybody use Derryolam Impeccible (ch) on their cows yet?im thinking of using him on a few big Charolais cows as he looks a super animal,good figures too

Is his semen back in supply, wasn't there a shortage in the spring

Farrell wrote: »
    Is his semen back in supply, wasn't there a shortage in the spring

Didn't hear that,he is on Munster AIs catalogue but I haven't spoke to the technician about him

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

milligan2 wrote: »

Neighbour has a few CH2066ed calves definitely would not use him, I know it's only based on one place but they are that bad. Only positive thing you could say is easy calved.

LGL, FSZ, LZF & GRF way better Bulls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Neighbour has a few CH2066ed calves definitely would not use him,
    How old are those calves?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

How old are those calves?

6 months.

Bad may be harsh fair is probably fairer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

6 months.

Bad may be harsh fair is probably fairer.

Any pics of lzf calves,?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

anyone recommend a decent beefy angus bull to cross with Blue heifers.
    heifers will be calving at 28- 30 months, so mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

jfh wrote: »

zll from bova should tick all boxes.easy calving, growthy, milk and colour.dont have anything off him but have him used for next year on the back of pics and what lads here say about him.

• Advertisement

Any pics of lzf calves,?

Have a lovely heifer weanling off him,very square and powerful.Was thinking of keeping her as a replacement as there is a drop of milk LZFs line.(will post a pic when I can)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

GJB. Can't say enough good things about that bull. If they are a bit narrow RGZ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Seen a few young WZG calves out of BB heifers today, quite framey and raw but great shape to them, look like they'll muscle up well with a bit of feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

zll from bova should tick all boxes.easy calving, growthy, milk and colour.dont have anything off him but have him used for next year on the back of pics and what lads here say about him.

Rumors have it he had to be put down...was running with a herd of cows and got injured on bad land.......careless!!!…......with his stars he was well worth minding

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

+1 on zll. I have posted before about him. I'm a fan of his and off BB heifers you will get shapey calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Some bedside reading....the latest Eurogene AI update. A lot of old Limo bulls that I haven't seen before in it....

http://issuu.com/eurogeneais/docs/beef_2016_low_res

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Some bedside reading....the latest Eurogene AI update. A lot of old Limo bulls that I haven't seen before in it....

https://issuu.com/eurogeneais/docs/beef_2016_low_res

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

At home on the fathers farm we have a commercial suckler herd. Been using CH bulls for >10 years having started with a mix of HE/SI/FR cows. Current heifers coming through 80-90% CH and very white. The father would like to stick to CH even though we know he may be better with the hybrid vigour of crossbreeding to LM/BB etc.

The current idea is to buy terminal bulls to use on farm but AI to replacement at the start of the breeding season. Split calving, Spring 35-40 cows, Autumn 15-20 cows. Have 13 to calve next Spring to Tombapik. Anyone recommend a good replacement CH bull? Bivouac? Like they say the differences within a breed are more than the differences across the breeds...or something to that effect. Need to inject a boost of milk in the newer generation heifers which is why I was thinking Tombapik or Bivouac.

At home on the fathers farm we have a commercial suckler herd. Been using CH bulls for >10 years having started with a mix of HE/SI/FR cows. Current heifers coming through 80-90% CH and very white. The father would like to stick to CH even though we know he may be better with the hybrid vigour of crossbreeding to LM/BB etc.

The current idea is to buy terminal bulls to use on farm but AI to replacement at the start of the breeding season. Split calving, Spring 35-40 cows, Autumn 15-20 cows. Have 13 to calve next Spring to Tombapik. Anyone recommend a good replacement CH bull? Bivouac? Like they say the differences within a breed are more than the differences across the breeds...or something to that effect. Need to inject a boost of milk in the newer generation heifers which is why I was thinking Tombapik or Bivouac.
    Would you not use Another breed for maternal traits, & add a bit more vigour.
    Personally a bull to add milk, short gestation, & softness, eg LM/SI/SH.

Can't get into the link, but jet/fastracwould be ideal for replacements.
    They've the cogent Bulls there, but their own oldies FZM/ABI will deliver.
    Thought Vic & Uboy were gone (see on site).
    Anyone got any Goldbar calves? or got any info on whitecliffe James

• Advertisement

Would you not use Another breed for maternal traits, & add a bit more vigour.
    Personally a bull to add milk, short gestation, & softness, eg LM/SI/SH.

I know, you are 100% right as I said in my own post hybrid vigour is the way to go. My father is set on sticking with CH though so was going to try pick the CH AI bulls with the strongest maternal traits. At the end of the day the older cows in the herd still have good chunks of HE/SI etc so it is only the younger generations that would be 80-90% CH.

I know, you are 100% right as I said in my own post hybrid vigour is the way to go. My father is set on sticking with CH though so was going to try pick the CH AI bulls with the strongest maternal traits. At the end of the day the older cows in the herd still have good chunks of HE/SI etc so it is only the younger generations that would be 80-90% CH.
    There is a big push on digger Bulls for Maternal at present.
    Lots of CH Bulls with high milk figures, don't know much on them

There is a big push on digger Bulls for Maternal at present.
    Lots of CH Bulls with high milk figures, don't know much on them

I asked my Ai man about blelack digger recently and he said the straws are expensive. I think he said €50 plus service charge.

croot wrote: »
    I asked my Ai man about blelack digger recently and he said the straws are expensive. I think he said €50 plus service charge.
    That's not too bad, Goldbar is similar, SEG was €125 a pop with Sligo, think Bugatti is €75 a pop.
    I don't mind paying the bit extra if guaranteed better goods, there's allot out there against digger

Yeah he's 50e. As is Tombapik who we used in a synch program this Spring to get a boost of milk. He's +12 or 13kg for milk so should be a big plus. You'd hear very variable things about Digger, from the best ever to complete hype job. Hard to argue with his figures!

That's not too bad, Goldbar is similar, SEG was €125 a pop with Sligo, think Bugatti is €75 a pop.
    I don't mind paying the bit extra if guaranteed better goods, there's allot out there against digger
    That wouldn't be for me because if a cow repeated I'm €100 down before calf arrives at all and the guaranteed better goods is a funny one. I used FSZ this year for the first time because I heard good things about him but the calves I have aren't great. The same cows had great calves off LGL the year before.

Yeah he's 50e. As is Tombapik who we used in a synch program this Spring to get a boost of milk. He's +12 or 13kg for milk so should be a big plus. You'd hear very variable things about Digger, from the best ever to complete hype job. Hard to argue with his figures!

I'd chance him if he was cheaper or if I could AI myself but at €50 a pop and service charge its to dear for me.

I normally wouldn't be looking for maternal traits from a charloais but would be happy enough if I got a heifer from him.

That wouldn't be for me because if a cow repeated I'm €100 down before calf arrives at all and the guaranteed better goods is a funny one. I used FSZ this year for the first time because I heard good things about him but the calves I have aren't great. The same cows had great calves off LGL the year before.
    He looks good (but small) stars are too good, just think it's too good to be true.
    We're the calves small at birth? Can you keep us updated on how the do

He looks good (but small) stars are too good, just think it's too good to be true.
    We're the calves small at birth? Can you keep us updated on how the do
    Yes the calves were born small but haven't grown like I thought they should. I must take a pic with a GPD calf and a FSZ calf born a week apart. Serious difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

I'd agree that Fiston calves are inclined to stay small but they have good thickness to them. I'll say one thing for him, he's extremely easy calved for a charolais, his calves fall out of cows, they hardly know they've calved.

The likes of LGL and GPD would be on a different level again but a lot harder calved from what I've heard.

Advertisement