Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

tanko wrote: »
    I'd agree that Fiston calves are inclined to stay small but they have good thickness to them. I'll say one thing for him, he's extremely easy calved for a charolais, his calves fall out of cows, they hardly know they've calved.

The likes of LGL and GPD would be on a different level again but a lot harder calved from what I've heard.
    FSZ is very easy calved alright. Nearly at AA levels I'd say.

GPD and LGL are far better but are definitely harder calved. I really wouldn't try GPD on a cow you were worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭limo_100

croot wrote: »
    FSZ is very easy calved alright. Nearly at AA levels I'd say.

GPD and LGL are far better but are definitely harder calved. I really wouldn't try GPD on a cow you were worried about.

have you had many GPD calves what are they like?? whats the calving like?? Have you seen the pics of calves of HHJ they look classy as good calves i'v seen. Iv heard that the bull GRF gerard are top class and not hard calved. I have one GEZ calf on the way in jan

limo_100 wrote: »
    have you had many GPD calves what are they like?? whats the calving like?? Have you seen the pics of calves of HHJ they look classy as good calves i'v seen. Iv heard that the bull GRF gerard are top class and not hard calved. I have one GEZ calf on the way in jan

Only two GPD because I was a bit wary about calving and only used him on two easy calvers. Huge calves at birth but I didn't have to help. I never do with these two. The two of them grew very well and filled out nicely. I could lie and say that they are as good as the one in the pic but they are not bad either.

A friend of mine has three and all are good quality but a very hard pull with two and one cow was wobbly for a few days. So you could say on a very small survey of 5 I found that calves are big at birth grow very well and have good shape. Mart in a couple of weeks will see how well they sell.

I haven't really seen much about charloais calves or used much charloais the last few years as I was trying to build cow numbers and used nearly all maternal but I'll use much more this year. I'll try a few different ones and might give GEZ and HHJ a go.

397029.jpg

Only two GPD because I was a bit wary about calving and only used him on two easy calvers. Huge calves at birth but I didn't have to help. I never do with these two. The two of them grew very well and filled out nicely. I could lie and say that they are as good as the one in the pic but they are not bad either.

A friend of mine has three and all are good quality but a very hard pull with two and one cow was wobbly for a few days. So you could say on a very small survey of 5 I found that calves are big at birth grow very well and have good shape. Mart in a couple of weeks will see how well they sell.

I haven't really seen much about charloais calves or used much charloais the last few years as I was trying to build cow numbers and used nearly all maternal but I'll use much more this year. I'll try a few different ones and might give GEZ and HHJ a go.
    Im the same trying for maternal hoping to go back to charolais this year. That GPD calf is a serious calf are yours like that show calf.... hes a temping option looks a better option that lgl.

Heres the HHJ calf
    https://www.facebook.com/progressivegenetics/photos/a.204892989539252.57864.158731764155375/1364714893557050/?type=3&theater

Im the same trying for maternal hoping to go back to charolais this year. That GPD calf is a serious calf are yours like that show calf.... hes a temping option looks a better option that lgl.

Heres the HHJ calf
    https://www.facebook.com/progressivegenetics/photos/a.204892989539252.57864.158731764155375/1364714893557050/?type=3&theater
    That HHJ looks like a good one.

My fellas aren't that good but they aren't to bad. I posted a pic of one of them before here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100095067&postcount=1295

• Advertisement

That HHJ looks like a good one.

My fellas aren't that good but they aren't to bad. I posted a pic of one of them before here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100095067&postcount=1295

he has great length what cow he off to come that nice colour. did he muscle up much

he has great length what cow he off to come that nice colour. did he muscle up much
    Off a sim x. He grew well but didn't muscle up as much as he would in a normal year. Here in the north west most of the summer the cows were swimming from paddock to paddock or into the shed for a few days. Grass was full of water so feeding value was sh!te really. It set all my calves back a long way. Creep just started now but if I had the cash flow I should have started a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Munster ai/Progressive Genetics have released their latest catalogue online:

https://issuu.com/rosalish/docs/munster_beef_catalogue_2016_-7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

Is that link working? Crap broadband here can't open it anyway.

Is that link working? Crap broadband here can't open it anyway.
    should be, just tried it again there and it worked fine for me. If you have an iphone, download the ISSUU app and you can follow the publishers and be notified when they publish something. A lot of ai books are available on the app, some French ones too. It's great reading!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

should be, just tried it again there and it worked fine for me. If you have an iphone, download the ISSUU app and you can follow the publishers and be notified when they publish something. A lot of ai books are available on the app, some French ones too. It's great reading!
    Found that today, I've allot of AI books tagged.
    If anyone got my phone, there'd be some slagging

Farrell wrote: »
    Found that today, I've allot of AI books tagged.
    If anyone got my phone, there'd be some slagging
    Same here, the app is full of ai books and my iBooks app is full of society sales catalogues....would love if they put more ai books up on it from the early 2000s, they could surely make them digital these days

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

No sign of APZ at all:pac:
    The new Sim Clonagh Frosty King looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

He is listed in BDGP Replacement Section....

Along with ten other Simmentals.

I see the Blelack Charolais herd is dispersing, home of Blelack Digger. Catalogue below:

http://www.uagroup.co.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=fhF3ul84TU4%3d&tabid=1004

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Think I should post bit of an apology to KJB. Was saying earlier in the year that had three calves off him and were fairly plain - but looking at cattle this week two of them are prob some of best weanlings I have. Know problems with long gestation and his figures have dropped but good growthy looking weanlings with shape too.

Think I should post bit of an apology to KJB. Was saying earlier in the year that had three calves off him and were fairly plain - but looking at cattle this week two of them are prob some of best weanlings I have. Know problems with long gestation and his figures have dropped but good growthy looking weanlings with shape too.

Yeah, KJB is a good bull. His very long gestation in the spring is a distant memory at this stage but it's a real nuisance when his calves won't come out of cows for ages. It'll be interesting to see if his heifers have any milk. Some of his calves can be a bit small of some cows for my liking.
    I was a bit hard on ZAG earlier in the year, there's not much to his calves early on but they really shape up well after a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Yeah, KJB is a good bull. His very long gestation in the spring is a distant memory at this stage but it's a real nuisance when his calves won't come out of cows for ages. It'll be interesting to see if his heifers have any milk. Some of his calves can be a bit small of some cows for my liking.
    I was a bit hard on ZAG earlier in the year, there's not much to his calves early on but they really shape up well after a few months.

Tanko, good to hear on zag and Kjb. Have 2 heifer calves off bfxhol cows that I am hoping to let up and have a Kjb pb heifer for letting up aswell. My fav though is a pb dancer heifer which is 4 * on the maternal score. Had a guy look at her and he said she is beut;);)

Any pics of yours?

Feel the berns any pics?

I put some pics on page 87 and 88 of the photo thread earlier in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I put some pics on page 87 and 88 of the photo thread earlier in the year.

I remember them now. Seriously good animals. Hopefully they will pay well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Here's a KJB one calving next year Mac.

So1SoUel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Tanko, good to hear on zag and Kjb. Have 2 heifer calves off bfxhol cows that I am hoping to let up and have a Kjb pb heifer for letting up aswell. My fav though is a pb dancer heifer which is 4 * on the maternal score. Had a guy look at her and he said she is beut;);)

Any pics of yours?

Feel the berns any pics?

Sorry, didn't take any pics but must think of it again. I had three KJB bulls but if heifers I'd have been keeping for replacement no doubt.

Went with EBY this year as trying to calve at 2 instead of 3yo and supposed to be very easy calving but figures poor for heifers as
    replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What charolais bulls do people use, that have tall calves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

This chap here, sure look at the size of him. Be stepping over hedges :D:D

43O0Fy0l.jpg

Serious though, that polled chap off Bova is throwing some lanky ch cattle this side of the country, Hitman is his name. Have one heifer here and she's very growthy, not too fond of the white polly head though.

Anyone got calves off Crossmolina Jupiter or Kilskeagh Hill 16 yet? Have a cow & heifer due to them in a fortnight, unsure if I should put them in or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

AGZ brings fantastic stuff. But comes with a severe CD warning.
    I've used all the main ai ch bulls and the best of the lot to bring the tall Shapey weanling is LGL. I'll be putting more cows back in calf to him after trying different bulls. Fiston does bring super shaped animals but I'm wondering will they be caught for height.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Any pics of yours?

Feel the berns any pics?

Sorry, didn't take any pics but must think of it again. I had three KJB bulls but if heifers I'd have been keeping for replacement no doubt.

Went with EBY this year as trying to calve at 2 instead of 3yo and supposed to be very easy calving but figures poor for heifers as
    replacements.
    Thought EBY jumped up the ranks a lot for replacement index in the last lottery, sorry I mean in the last scientific quantative analysis!
    I had two bull calves from him this year off of two year old heifers.
    Not the tallest but very nice shape with lovely soft cost of hair on both.

LZF seems to be bringing good traditional style Charolais cattle, with good size, frame and width but with out the style of an LGL calf albeit. He could be used on strong heifers and second calvers hes very similar to PTE. On the other extreme if you want size and a kim kardasian hole go for GPD or GKA

LZF seems to be bringing good traditional style Charolais cattle, with good size, frame and width but with out the style of an LGL calf albeit. He could be used on strong heifers and second calvers hes very similar to PTE. On the other extreme if you want size and a kim kardasian hole go for GPD or GKA
    What's GKA like overall? Thinking of using him on a few Saler cows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

What's GKA like overall? Thinking of using him on a few Saler cows

I was very disappointed with him anyway. The cattle were grand off him I suppose but I was expecting better tbh.
    Ya I'd have to agree on lzf big traditional type calves off. Not to hard calved either.

Advertisement