Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

tanko wrote: »
    I'll be shot for saying this but you want easy calving as your first priority followed by shape. APZ would actually be my first choice for that job.

Have to say I can't fault his bull calves

I've a few in calf to Curaheen Earp, have you any opinion on him?

Another month or 2 will tell the tale with him

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Hi, anyone recommend Simmental straws for freisen x Holstein cows?
    What colour would the calves come? Tks, Mac

The best simmental bulls available at the moment in my opinion would be
    Kilbride farm escalop ( bova )
    Arouch deuter (pg)
    Curraheen dickens. Bova
    Delfur decider. Dovea
    That's assuming they're mature cows
    The best bulls and the best Bulls for dairy cows are two very different things

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

The best bulls and the best Bulls for dairy cows are two very different things

Indeed, that's why I said mature cow. All bar delfur decider I would class average to easy calving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

For sim on fr apz is as good a bet as any . You'll want a lower set thicker style of animal not a donkey brown and white giraffe. Some of the sims would be liable to throw very leggy calves of fr cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Um just after seeing 8% of. the cows crossmolina euro is mated with are holstein Friesian 😨

• Advertisement

Um just after seeing 8% of. the cows crossmolina euro is mated with are holstein Friesian 😨
    Not quite, the "average cow" has Holstein in her. In reality it's more likely that 16% of the cows he's used on are half Holsteins e.g. LM x HO cows

Not quite, the "average cow" has Holstein in her. In reality it's more likely that 16% of the cows he's used on are half Holsteins e.g. LM x HO cows

Would make more sense I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Anybody out there use Ampertaine Foreman on commercial cows?He looks a serious bull on paper.Have a couple of nice simm cows that I might chance him on

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

How can World Wide Sires Ireland justify paying €11,000 for Lisnagre Laurence at the Christmas Cracker?

Index here:
    https://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/1320591710

His Terminal Index is bound to drop once his calving figure goes up (Sire & GSire mainly used on pedigrees....) meaning he won't even BDGP Qualify making him very niche, OR am I completely wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

How can World Wide Sires Ireland justify paying €11,000 for Lisnagre Laurence at the Christmas Cracker?

Index here:

His Terminal Index is bound to drop once his calving figure goes up (Sire & GSire mainly used on pedigrees....) meaning he won't even BDGP Qualify making him very niche, OR am I completely wrong?

Well I'd use him if available. Look at the parentage. Hermes and Major were two very good bulls as far as I know. The ICBF fantasy figures don't mean a whole lot. It will sky rocket up or down at random and unpredictable times until after a bull is dead and unavailable at which time it will become 99% reliable it seems. Look at the linear scores though. Top 1% on muscle and very high on everything else.

403258.jpg

• Advertisement

Good bulls they were alright, but only really used on pedigrees so who really knows (in terms of CD etc.)....

Think this buck if used at any reasonable level at all, with be a GPD or GKA, good bulls, good calves, too hard calved for most.

Save a reminder and we can come back and look at it in a year or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

milligan2 wrote: »
    Anybody out there use Ampertaine Foreman on commercial cows?He looks a serious bull on paper.Have a couple of nice simm cows that I might chance him on

Doubt if he's been used on many commercial cows, who is selling his straws now and how much are they?
    I suppose he'd be worth a try on mature cows with good calving ability, i wouldn't have any faith in calving difficulty figures for Bulls that have only been used on pedigree cattle, sure those lads never have to help a cow calving and none of them have a jack or have done a cesarean.
    Eurogene have Wilodge Goldcard straws for €18 a pop with similar breeding.

The Limm society supply them for around €50 a pop.The calving difficulty looks low at 6% but if it was nearer 10% it would be ok for these cows,cheers for the heads up though.
    They are saucy but for two cows I thought they might be worth a shot!

50 yoyos, feck that. They wouldn't want to repeat:pac:

Index here:

Didn't realise they were buying Irish bulls. I wonder if he's being collected here? could semen be going back stateside?

Didn't realise they were buying Irish bulls. I wonder if he's being collected here? could semen be going back stateside?

It's a strange one to be honest. #watchthisspace

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

milligan2 wrote:

A crowd call Powerfull genetics have him and he is 90 euro per straw.

dodo mommy wrote: »
    A crowd call Powerfull genetics have him and he is 90 euro per straw.

Powerful not gone, think Eurogene got their bulls.... (the bulk of them)

would the top pedigree bulls maternal figures be fancifull as well considering their are a few fresian cows hanging around most of their yards?

would the top pedigree bulls maternal figures be fancifull as well considering their are a few fresian cows hanging around most of their yards?

Good question, a lot of pedigree Bulls are pumped with concentrates too, this has to distort the "daughters milk figure" for Bulls.

• Advertisement

Good question, a lot of pedigree Bulls are pumped with concentrates too, this has to distort the "daughters milk figure" for Bulls.

APM as an example is an excellent bull. There is a reason pedigree breeders used him . empire the blue was another bull with a cd% of 21 because he is so heavily used by pb breeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

As far as I know very little weight is given to pedigree herds. Embryo transfer animals for example are always reared by cows with plenty of milk. It's how the offspring and the relatives of the bulls that have the biggest influence on the bulls figures. I'm sure ICBF are well clued into the overfeeding of young bulls.
    Take APM as mentioned above. He's a young enough bull, born 2007. But already has 19 animals registered with him as maternal great grandsire.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Bought a 5 star in-calf heifer during the week. She calved today to ZAG. A heifer. Happy out. She is fierce excitable but showing no aggression. Fingers crossed she'll quieten down. A lot going on for her in one week.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Bought a 5 star in-calf heifer during the week. She calved today to ZAG. A heifer. Happy out. She is fierce excitable but showing no aggression. Fingers crossed she'll quieten down. A lot going on for her in one week.

That's good to hear anyway patsy. Ya she's had a busy week and your still strange to her.
    Any chance of a pic?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Did she calve herself Patsy?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Did she calve herself Patsy?

Ya, no problem. She's spring 2014, not overfed and well shaped at the hips so was confident enough she'd be ok.

I'm looking at getting a bit more Craic out of the cattle ( as the money isn't great) and I'm thinking of trying to breed a few show types. All mainly limo crosses, some with ch more with si and more with blues and a few pt and another few ba along with some fr. What bulls are out there that are consistently throwing show calves so I can organise myself well in advance, calving difficulty won't scare me too much with most and I don't want to be panicking when they come ready.

Who2 wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting a bit more Craic out of the cattle ( as the money isn't great) and I'm thinking of trying to breed a few show types. All mainly limo crosses, some with ch more with si and more with blues and a few pt and another few ba along with some fr. What bulls are out there that are consistently throwing show calves so I can organise myself well in advance, calving difficulty won't scare me too much with most and I don't want to be panicking when they come ready.

TVR:pac: MBP, Lodge Hamlet is a serious looking bull.

TVR:pac: MBP, Lodge Hamlet is a serious looking bull.

Yeh tvr is the one that I keep seeing plenty of his calves about, I might try try a few.

• Advertisement

Who2 wrote: »
    Yeh tvr is the one that I keep seeing plenty of his calves about, I might try try a few.

I was kinda joking about him, all the lads breeding show calves use him but you need the right cow for him. Loads of sections and calving problems with him so be very careful.
    Lots of lads think Elite Ice cream is going to be a serious bull but he'll hardly be too easy calved.

Advertisement