Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

WILODGE VANTASTIC if he can still be got.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Who2 wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting a bit more Craic out of the cattle ( as the money isn't great) and I'm thinking of trying to breed a few show types. All mainly limo crosses, some with ch more with si and more with blues and a few pt and another few ba along with some fr. What bulls are out there that are consistently throwing show calves so I can organise myself well in advance, calving difficulty won't scare me too much with most and I don't want to be panicking when they come ready.

I've used tvr and csq trying for a few . used BBQ on a muscly enough limousine cow so I'm expecting something decent. I had a welter of a csq heifer the last day , great bone,length and height . she was thin when she was born so will see how she shapes up muscle wise. had a nice calf by wbh last hear and hzj the year before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

tanko wrote: »
    I was kinda joking about him, all the lads breeding show calves use him but you need the right cow for him. Loads of sections and calving problems with him so be very careful.
    Lots of lads think Elite Ice cream is going to be a serious bull but he'll hardly be too easy calved.

Tvr breeds some stuff but. I've a rough list of progressives done if anyone has any comments all's good. Tvr. Limo and maybe lm4058. Fsz and gka ch. rws and ajy bb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Tvr breeds some stuff but. I've a rough list of progressives done if anyone has any comments all's good. Tvr. Limo and maybe lm4058. Fsz and gka ch. rws and ajy bb.

I'll tell you 9th of january

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

I'll tell you 9th of january

Have heard mixed on FSZ, some plain calves, & seen some exceptional.
    GKA looks impressive, good reviews on calves but stars are against

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Ordered two straws of ampertaine foreman there Friday anybody use him before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Have a BZB ptx heifer , replacement index 145. She's a tad muscular.... am I bonkers putting her to the bull next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

take the index out of the equation for a moment , do you think she would make a good cow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Wilodge Vantastic was mentioned above....the last I heard his straws were making €600 + a piece IF they could be got!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Farrell wrote: »
    Have heard mixed on FSZ, some plain calves, & seen some exceptional.
    GKA looks impressive, good reviews on calves but stars are against

I'd steer clear of GKA if your looking for a show quality ch.

• Advertisement

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    I'd steer clear of GKA if your looking for a show quality ch.

Who would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Wilodge Vantastic was mentioned above....the last I heard his straws were making €600 + a piece IF they could be got!!
    Jeez, that would be a nervous 3 week wait.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Have a BZB ptx heifer , replacement index 145. She's a tad muscular.... am I bonkers putting her to the bull next spring.

depends on the bull

Who would you recommend?

Fiston if you have a good Shapey cow. AGZ brings great stuff if you have a cow that will take him.
    But tbh (depending on his cows) I'd say that the he'll have to be going for a blue like Ross Alo to get serious shape. Fiston off good blue x cows bring some serious calf's.
    It'll all depend on his cows though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Who would you recommend?

LGL????

LGL????

Is he still going? Christ he threw some great calf's. Abit inconsistent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

LGL????

I never rated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Pidae.m wrote: »

I am in a similar position myself. I was considering an Aubrac but I dont know a whole lot about them other than small calves are birth

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I am in a similar position myself. I was considering an Aubrac but I dont know a whole lot about them other than small calves are birth

Au only if your taking them to beef yourself. They don't have the wow factor in the mart. I first used au stock bulls back in 03 , had 5 different ones & I find them very hit & miss regards getting heifers in calf. Mad burst for a month nothing then for another month. Gave up last year & bought a HE bull. He'd put myself in calf if I wasn't careful:)

Had you any calving trouble using Aubrac bulls? Would they suit a muscly type heifer? I know I shouldn't be keeping muscly stock for breeding but this is the first year i have a couple of PT heifers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Had you any calving trouble using Aubrac bulls? Would they suit a muscly type heifer? I know I shouldn't be keeping muscly stock for breeding but this is the first year i have a couple of PT heifers.
    Have you thought about using a Saler bull. I've used the PG bull Lataster Eric a few times and never had an issue. Gave me tall lengthy cattle too so the muscle from the mothers side would combine well I'd think. Also the Bova bull Vaillant has a CD of 2.2% at 90% reliability, have used him on heifers with no problems either

Have you thought about using a Saler bull. I've used the PG bull Lataster Eric a few times and never had an issue. Gave me tall lengthy cattle too so the muscle from the mothers side would combine well I'd think. Also the Bova bull Vaillant has a CD of 2.2% at 90% reliability, have used him on heifers with no problems either

I hadn't even thought of them but that's not to say I wouldnt use them. Thanks for the info.

I never rated him.

That's a 8 month old LGL calf off a plain black lm cow. He made €1490 at 12 months.

Only one spring but thst was self inflicted by poor management. The same bull through greyhound like calves in July/Aug of that year. They really are a low maintenance breed do

I hadn't even thought of them but that's not to say I wouldnt use them. Thanks for the info.

What's his docility like?

Fiston if you have a good Shapey cow. AGZ brings great stuff if you have a cow that will take him.
    But tbh (depending on his cows) I'd say that the he'll have to be going for a blue like Ross Alo to get serious shape. Fiston off good blue x cows bring some serious calf's.
    It'll all depend on his cows though.

AGZ is a mighty looking bull alright, what about that GPD?

That's a 8 month old LGL calf off a plain black lm cow. He made €1490 at 12 months.
    Nice calf, but plain cows can have hidden genes

I cant wait to try him tbh I haven't used him yet. Seeing and hearing great things tho.

Nice calf, but plain cows can have hidden genes

Oh don't worry I know her genes inside and out. I breed all my own replacements so I can remember her line going back a long long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I cant wait to try him tbh I haven't used him yet. Seeing and hearing great things tho.

Looking forward to using AGZ?
    OK. If you like hardship.......

Advertisement