Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

We attend shows and sales to see pure off spring and how bulls are breeding on certain lines, the AI bull it's all about the back pedigree and reliability figure of a bull.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate fixing faults and all but I'm looking for easy calving above all for the first time. She ll be calving hopefully at or around 26 months. She's by major, she has plenty of muscle for a heifer, don't think she's going to be seriously big.
    If it was up to me she wouldn't be getting a charolais the first time, but I have her in co with the oul lad and I have to let him win the odd battle!

If she is by major she has to have power and size, easy calving first but you can also correct faults with such a wide selection of bulls available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What proven simmental bulls do lads use with good milk and low calving difficulty and good daughter calving difficulty. Or is there any:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

What proven simmental bulls do lads use with good milk and low calving difficulty and good daughter calving difficulty. Or is there any:D

Curaheen Vio????
    Haven't used him and he's €22 a straw i think.
    I've used QCD on a few cows and think he's a fine bull, (not exactly easy calving I'd say tho), have a nice heifer off my OEI cow here ill probably keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Lisnacrann Sunnyboy maybe? or can straws be got from him anymore?

• Advertisement

Lisnacrann Sunnyboy maybe? or can straws be got from him anymore?

I've a few in calf to him. I think he's still available but €30/straw now AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Ya sonny boy is €30 now. Progressive have a full brother of him now though. He d have to have loads of milk being out of hurtig.
    Escalop from bova is breeding mighty, no daughters calved out of him but looking at his pedigree with newry and king I'd be confident of milk.
    If your willing to pay €30 for a straw I'd be going for hillcrest jerome. I love his daughters, they make fantastic cows

Ya sonny boy is €30 now. Progressive have a full brother of him now though. He d have to have loads of milk being out of hurtig.
    Escalop from bova is breeding mighty, no daughters calved out of him but looking at his pedigree with newry and kingI'd be confident of milk.
    If your willing to pay €30 for a straw I'd be going for hillcrest jerome. I love his daughters, they make fantastic cows
    Is that Hillcrest king?
    I'd try to avoid him if I could . had a cow off him with very bad calving ability

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

tanko wrote: »
    Curaheen Vio????
    Haven't used him and he's €22 a straw i think.
    I've used QCD on a few cows and think he's a fine bull, (not exactly easy calving I'd say tho), have a nice heifer off my OEI cow here ill probably keep.
    Easy calved even, vigorous, doctile, growth & size.
    Don't think he can be got now as was purchased for PB breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Is that Hillcrest king?
    I'd try to avoid him if I could . had a cow off him with very bad calving ability

No, raceview king

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is that Hillcrest king?
    Same here. Never rated that bull, Hillcrest King, at all. Its showing up now in his poor figures. All the rage at the time.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Same here. Never rated that bull, Hillcrest King, at all. Its showing up now in his poor figures. All the rage at the time.

If she had better calving ability she would have been fine. Its just when you pulled all her calves and sectioned the last one...you've got a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

If she had better calving ability she would have been fine. Its just when you pulled all her calves and sectioned the last one...you've got a problem

I've a hillcrest king cow here that I've had no major issue with bar she's a thick b1tch. But I've had two pb apostle heifers off her that wouldn't calve a goat. Both had 1 calf and was hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭limo_100

Have two kings here never had a problem always have big calves and always calf unassisted. I have have kept some daughters and grand daughters and great grand daughters and they are my best cows. On other news I had a heifer calve and had a really well marked IS4 heifer calf. Calved unassisted

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Hi lads, any suggestions for LM Bull for heifers, easycalving a must.
    Thinking about OKH or LM2117. Thks

pure breed wrote: »

OKH would be risky on them imo, LM2117 looks the best option NCBC have for heifers. Plenty of lads seem to be using ZAG but i think he's a bit too much for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

OKH would be risky on them imo, LM2117 looks the best option NCBC have for heifers. Plenty of lads seem to be using ZAG but i think he's a bit too much for them.

I use ZAG on heifers. No issue yet touch wood. If the heifer is very muscly I wouldn't use him but otherwise he's fine. His CD is 4.7 and everyone was using HCA on heifers and his CD is 4.1 so not that much different.

Had a heifer calf recently to ZAG, no problem. He's well proven now at 99% Reliability and 4.7%, so unless the heifer is a bit on the small side, fire away.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

CWI or eby or kjb

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

Hi what do you think of lm4007 from eurogene for heifers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

I would not use ZAG, imo HCA was a far better bull on heifers. Had to pull monsters from heifers this year from ZAG. Cows calved him no problem.

We use gamin from bova, very handy calf and grow into super muscle and style animal on any breed, seriously consistent bull.

We use gamin from bova, very handy calf and grow into super muscle and style animal on any breed, seriously consistent bull.

I plan to use more terminal type bulls next year and have Gamin and Fiston in the tank for that.
    Have you used Gamin on heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

valtra2 wrote: »
    Hi what do you think of lm4007 from eurogene for heifers
    Have put him on a heifer, short gestation was a massive bonus, but great figures
    LM2265 looks impressive & so does LM2299

I plan to use more terminal type bulls next year and have Gamin and Fiston in the tank for that.
    Have you used Gamin on heifers?

Yes using him for the last 3 seasons on heifers and easiest Calver on any type and then super shape,
    See bova have bought two new bulls at one of the recent limousin elite sales in France and seem to be very well bred and top quality for the future.
    Rumour has it that progressive went as far as Laois to look at a new limousin for the stud and possibly have his half brother already,

Lm2265 and Lm 2295 look to have great stars for terminal and a very high reliability figure behind them !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I see alot of people talking about monster calves... What do you feed your dry cows just out of interest? I give mine a kg of a barley oats mix a day and find it great.

Guys, just a general question for those doing AI on PB Lim cows. How do you source your straws? I was hoping to try On Dit and Tonka this year. Would the lim society be the best place and who took over powerful genetics bulls? Was it Eurogene?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

This may sound like an extremely stupid question.. but say you have a five star aaxfr and continuously bred her daughters to the best Angus bulls ai could get for let's say 10 generations down the line from the original cow herself would an ai company ever approach you if you had a genotyped Angus bull calf about possibly using him as an ai bull? Or would the bull calf have to be purebred all through his generation ? Just a matter of interest as I said it might sound stupid

• Advertisement

Guys, just a general question for those doing AI on PB Lim cows. How do you source your straws? I was hoping to try On Dit and Tonka this year. Would the lim society be the best place and who took over powerful genetics bulls? Was it Eurogene?

I got On-Dit straws of NCBC last spring bit they were getting scarce then i think. Eurogene are selling the Cogent Bulls that Powerful Genetics had but i see some of them for sale on Donedeal lately.

Advertisement