Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tanko wrote: »
    I got On-Dit straws of NCBC last spring bit they were getting scarce then i think. Eurogene are selling the Cogent Bulls that Powerful Genetics had but i see some of them for sale on Donedeal lately.

Thanks Tanko,
    I paid I think €70 last year for On-Dit straws from the Lim Society and a few weeks later NCBC had them for €30. That's why I was asking the question.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Durrus Boy

Thanks Tanko,
    I paid I think €70 last year for On-Dit straws from the Lim Society and a few weeks later NCBC had them for €30. That's why I was asking the question.

I bought 60 of them for €14 each last spring. I'd say ring a rep. Rumour is NCBC still have some squirrelled away....

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Durrus Boy

Thanks Tanko,

I bought 60 of them for €14 each last spring. I'd say ring a rep. Rumour is NCBC still have some squirrelled away....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Thanks Tanko,

I paid €32/straw to the lim society for a few in 2014 and €14 to PG for more of them earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Lm2265 and Lm 2295 look to have great stars for terminal and a very high reliability figure behind them !!!!!

Easy calving figures too
    Eurogene have a great selection of LM at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I paid €32/straw to the lim society for a few in 2014 and €14 to PG for more of them earlier this year.

Got them from progressive for 14, find Munster have some old PG straws in storage, we got some ODI, rocky,Mozart etc just ring the office and they put you through to lab and delivered.
    Tonga straws can to got from the Irish site of uk company that sells him at small money, bova very easy to deal with and do great offers of extra straws with purchase.
    Powerfull seemingly lost a lot of its uk bulls.
    We find ring and ask what is available the best way to operate.the last straws we bought from the char society was Jupiter and still have some in the tank.purchased some of the great Farouk last year from patsy McCabe and hope to bull a good few this year with him.

Got them from progressive for 14, find Munster have some old PG straws in storage, we got some ODI, rocky,Mozart etc just ring the office and they put you through to lab and delivered.
    Tonga straws can to got from the Irish site of uk company that sells him at small money, bova very easy to deal with and do great offers of extra straws with purchase.
    Powerfull seemingly lost a lot of its uk bulls.
    We find ring and ask what is available the best way to operate.the last straws we bought from the char society was Jupiter and still have some in the tank.purchased some of the great Farouk last year from patsy McCabe and hope to bull a good few this year with him.
    What's your opinion of ODI?
    Didn't think Farouk would still be around

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

I would not use ZAG, imo HCA was a far better bull on heifers. Had to pull monsters from heifers this year from ZAG. Cows calved him no problem.

Yeah I think ZAG would be too big for our heifers (small side) as the calves we are had this year from him are quite big from older roomy cows too. LM2117 has a short gestation I read so that would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

blackdog1 wrote: »
    I see alot of people talking about monster calves... What do you feed your dry cows just out of interest? I give mine a kg of a barley oats mix a day and find it great.

We feed ours dry cows (Spring Calvers) silage only and mineral blocks precalver. We found when we used to give meal like Barley or Rolled oats there was difficulty at calving so cut it out altogether, not that they got much of it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

pure breed wrote: »
    We feed ours dry cows (Spring Calvers) silage only and mineral blocks precalver. We found when we used to give meal like Barley or Rolled oats there was difficulty at calving so cut it out altogether, not that they got much of it anyway

He's dairy man I think. Different story completely to sucklers

• Advertisement

Farrell wrote: »
    What's your opinion of ODI?
    Didn't think Farouk would still be around

Have a ODI heifer born in the spring very eye catching and good back end and very easy calved, use him on plain rough headed cows to improve style and put in a bit of shape,
    Friend had a bull born last week out of a heifer very small calf and now growing like steam.
    The Farouk patsy has any amount for sale.

Have a ODI heifer born in the spring very eye catching and good back end and very easy calved, use him on plain rough headed cows to improve style and put in a bit of shape,
    Friend had a bull born last week out of a heifer very small calf and now growing like steam.
    The Farouk patsy has any amount for sale.
    He looks to have size, was thinking on a medium height thick cow that puts good muscle into her calves but lack height.
    Would you keep an ODI heifer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

I started feeding my spring calvers a taste of soya on the silage. Supposed to be a good job . Anyone do it here or how does it effect the calf size?

Yeah I think ZAG would be too big for our heifers (small side) as the calves we are had this year from him are quite big from older roomy cows too. LM2117 has a short gestation I read so that would be good.
    LM2117 is of Kaprico Eravelle who is short gestation, Eurogene have another son from same herd.
    Eravelle is off WTA, wonder has he the short gestation gene?

Who2 wrote: »
    I started feeding my spring calvers a taste of soya on the silage. Supposed to be a good job . Anyone do it here or how does it effect the calf size?

Would be a good thing for colostrum. We do it for all heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Yes using him for the last 3 seasons on heifers and easiest Calver on any type and then super shape,
    See bova have bought two new bulls at one of the recent limousin elite sales in France and seem to be very well bred and top quality for the future.
    Rumour has it that progressive went as far as Laois to look at a new limousin for the stud and possibly have his half brother already,

The thing i cant under stand is why ncbc went and bought another hard calving type non maternal bull in the form of elite icecream,when they already had TVR?

Would be a good thing for colostrum. We do it for all heifers

Any problems with the size of calf?

Who2 wrote: »
    Any problems with the size of calf?

Not yet apart from narrow calvers that need a hand. Very little though ,its high in energy as well as protein so be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    The thing i cant under stand is why ncbc went and bought another hard calving type non maternal bull in the form of elite icecream,when they already had TVR?

I'd imagine they're hoping that Ice Cream won't be near as hard calved as TVR.
    Time will tell on that.
    TVR is a great bull if you love doing sections.

Not yet apart from narrow calvers that need a hand. Very little though ,its high in energy as well as protein so be careful

I'm giving .3 of a kilo mixed with seaweed the last week and all's calving feb and march. I've a lot of the replacements done a poor enough thrive this year since they went to the bull, I would have expected them 40-50 kg heavier but it is what it is.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they're hoping that Ice Cream won't be near as hard calved as TVR.
    Time will tell on that.
    TVR is a great bull if you love doing sections.
    Have to agree with you tanko, but it's all politics in sourcing and not about quality of the animal they purchase and recently the PG sales man rang the first time in five year to see what straws we wanted as we were on his list and he was mad for business before this he would not return calls as other stations are doing harm and PG are struggling with sales.
    We are feeding all dry cows beet and 1kg of meal to keep strong and produce good biestings. A thin Cow won't calve handy or feed a calf or bull quick.

Anyone keep any charolais Ai bred heifers for breeding, have one at da min out if a 5star sim cow and by MZT. Think she is a 2 star, mother is a decent milker, she would make a mighty cow, milk is my only concern ?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Anyone keep any charolais Ai bred heifers for breeding, have one at da min out if a 5star sim cow and by MZT. Think she is a 2 star, mother is a decent milker, she would make a mighty cow, milk is my only concern ?

The father has a VCR cow out of a simmental. She's the best cow in the place, never got less than a grand for her calves

Have one of pio ,rhi ,LSP ,aza ,cf52 ,cf fifty one, osc ,4 had satisfactory milk but the cow will have to have a good shot of milk and the bull wouldn't want to be too poor either

Have one of pio ,rhi ,LSP ,aza ,cf52 ,cf fifty one, osc ,4 had satisfactory milk but the cow will have to have a good shot of milk and the bull wouldn't want to be too poor either

Ya its hit and miss i think. Whats the PIO one like , his daughter calving difficulty is tops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Have an aza heifer kept from a short horn cow. Milk the only concern too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Giving mine oats at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

What would ye suggest as an easy calving Bb for dairy cows lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

simx wrote: »
    What would ye suggest as an easy calving Bb for dairy cows lads?

You won't go too far wrong with dbz,didn't get Sfl straws with two years so don't know if he can still be got, had a few by atg last year nice quality and calved easy

• Advertisement

You won't go too far wrong with dbz,didn't get Sfl straws with two years so don't know if he can still be got, had a few by atg last year nice quality and calved easy

What about SFL with Bova & have Eurogene 1 with short gestation

Advertisement