Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

simx wrote: »
    What would ye suggest as an easy calving Bb for dairy cows lads?
    Dbz is your man or rff (I think) off dovea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

simx wrote: »
    What would ye suggest as an easy calving Bb for dairy cows lads?
    ring PG and see if there are any straws of SRI still about

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Had a cow calf to OKH. Fine bull calf, went a few days over, but not exactly small. Would be slow to use him on heifers.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Had a cow calf to OKH. Fine bull calf, went a few days over, but not exactly small. Would be slow to use him on heifers.

Had a 30 month heifer calve OKH a couple of weeks ago and she spat him out without me being there even though I was watching her closely.
    His calving diff figure is a little high but the AI man said he hasn't seen any problems with him

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Anyone here have any or have seen any calves from the charolais bull crosmolina jupiter from dovea, i like the look of him. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Anyone here have any or have seen any calves from the charolais bull crosmolina jupiter from dovea, i like the look of him. Thanks

Only have one so far but a nice sort of heifer. Came quite big though so I wouldn't put him on anything too fleshy or young. There's a photo of her from about 2 months ago in the photo thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

had a nice pb heifer calf this evening from alwent goldbar, my first one off him, straw was pricey around 40 euros i think so happy enough.nice calf now, cow calved herself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Bought a few nice first calvers with 2/3 week old zag heifers at foot. Look like nice calves. Never had any zag how do they go? Nice at a few months old or do they take a while to develop?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Bought a few nice first calvers with 2/3 week old zag heifers at foot. Look like nice calves. Never had any zag how do they go? Nice at a few months old or do they take a while to develop?

ZAG breeds nice calves, plenty of shape to them after a few months. Looks like he's a very good bull, it will be interesting to see if his heifers have any milk, time will tell on that.

tanko wrote: »
    ZAG breeds nice calves, plenty of shape to them after a few months. Looks like he's a very good bull, it will be interesting to see if his heifers have any milk, time will tell on that.
    He should have loads of milk. He's by APM who's proven for milk. Dam is by ronick hawk, one of the best in breed for milk. Grand Dam also well proven now too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Not so bad. They are off nice lim x sim heifers that look for milk also, might be keepers.

The father has a VCR cow out of a simmental. She's the best cow in the place, never got less than a grand for her calves

How did your major heifer turn out

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

How did your major heifer turn out

Ah she's a good square heifer. She seemed to have a lot more muscle when she was younger. She went back a good bit when I weaned her but she seems to be coming again the last month or so.

I can't see her being overly big but maybe she ll prove me wrong. Hope to bull her around Patricks day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Anyone have experience of the limousin bulls teddy (txe) and mereside favouri (Fzf) I have one due heifer from Fzf and she is a nice heifer but not sure what she will be like for milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Anyone have experience of the limousin bulls teddy (txe) and mereside favouri (Fzf) I have one due heifer from Fzf and she is a nice heifer but not sure what she will be like for milk.

FZF is meant to be leavin cows with loads of milk. In sayin that i havent seen any off him

I have three FZF heifers in calf to the Saler bull Highfield Odhran, two of them are off very milky cows, they're not calving til March and April.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    My stock bull is out of proctors caviller Lm. He has a milk score of 4.87kg on icbf replacement index of 122 i think and 114 terminal. I have big hopes for his heifers. Has anyone used proctors cavillier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

My stock bull is out of proctors caviller Lm. He has a milk score of 4.87kg on icbf replacement index of 122 i think and 114 terminal. I have big hopes for his heifers. Has anyone used proctors cavillier

Anyone got calves out of zch carrowreagh hondorus. Calving diff looks high for a lim but breeding looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Any calves on the ground from LM2014 from Dovea??

I'm really impressed with the tvr calf we had .she calved herself and he sucked .was a little nervous as she wasn't getting sick normally but everything worked out . he lives up to the bill imo

• Advertisement

adne wrote: »
    Anyone got calves out of zch carrowreagh hondorus. Calving diff looks high for a lim but breeding looks good

Had one bull calf here off him last spring. Real good calf with plenty of size and shape and good docility. He must be giving plenty of bother at calving for his CD to be so high, this is going to ruin his Eurostar figures which is obsessed with rewarding easy calved bulls.
    Heifers off him should be good for milk and have good calving ability, time will tell i suppose. I won't use him again, maybe something like KZH would be a better ON-Dit son to try but i don't know anything about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Any trouble calving. I am thinking of putting to heifers this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

I'm really impressed with the tvr calf we had .she calved herself and he sucked .was a little nervous as she wasn't getting sick normally but everything worked out . he lives up to the bill imo

throw up a few pics of cow and calf. ive yet to see a bad calf out of tvr. how many calves has your cow had or did you just take the gamble on him.

Who2 wrote: »
    throw up a few pics of cow and calf. ive yet to see a bad calf out of tvr. how many calves has your cow had or did you just take the gamble on him.

That was her third...she's by pio and is best cow width wise at pins. He's not really putting back an end yet but has a great top line and length. Ten days old now

Had one bull calf here off him last spring. Real good calf with plenty of size and shape and good docility. He must be giving plenty of bother at calving for his CD to be so high, this is going to ruin his Eurostar figures which is obsessed with rewarding easy calved bulls.
    Heifers off him should be good for milk and have good calving ability, time will tell i suppose. I won't use him again, maybe something like KZH would be a better ON-Dit son to try but i don't know anything about him.

Any reason you dont plan to use again. Ya the CD is so high his stars will drop

adne wrote: »
    Any reason you dont plan to use again. Ya the CD is so high his stars will drop

I'd be worried about possible calving problems, it's as simple as that.
    Right or wrong i don't use Bulls over 7% CD.

406888.jpg
    406890.jpg
    406891.jpg
    Cow and tvr calf

I have a bull calf by OKH (KELTIC HANDSOME) and he's shaping up nicely. Looks to be growth also.

I'd be worried about possible calving problems, it's as simple as that.
    Right or wrong i don't use Bulls over 7% CD.

Thanks. Thats as good a reason as there is.
    Im condidering zch and fzf for a few cows

• Advertisement

I have a bull calf by OKH (KELTIC HANDSOME) and he's shaping up nicely. Looks to be growth also.

Have him on a real good dancer heifer due in feb. Howd u find him size wise at calving

Advertisement