Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

New Dovea journal is out, this will be read inside out by the end of the weekend!
    https://issuu.com/doveagenetics/docs/dovea_genetics_beef_catalogue_2017 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭50HX

adne wrote: »
    Anyone got calves out of zch carrowreagh hondorus. Calving diff looks high for a lim but breeding looks good

nice shapely calves - had them over the past few years

no bother with calving on 3rd/4thcalving sucklers - wouldn't be the biggest cows

his calving diff has more than double in the past 18mnths so i don't know what's going on there (maybe tried on heifers)

sold a bull calf out of him last year at 6mnths and got 2.60kg for him

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Has anyone got any replacements from Vermeill,S666?I know he's only 3star but have 2 replacements from him which are off very good cows and would be interested in hearing how his progency have performed.Have had some excellent weanling bulls off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Has anyone got any replacements from Vermeill,S666?I know he's only 3star but have 2 replacements from him which are off very good cows and would be interested in hearing how his progency have performed.Have had some excellent weanling bulls off him.

I haven't but a guy I used to work with loves him

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Thanks,one is off a hkg cow and the other is off a bhh cow so should make nice breeders hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

adne wrote: »
    Have him on a real good dancer heifer due in feb. Howd u find him size wise at calving
    Came nice and small, but the same cow always has small calves at birth.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Came nice and small, but the same cow always has small calves at birth.

was he a tiny dancer??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What do the big companies like dovea and progressive pay for bulls like ardlea Dan,Mbp,LSP,lgl and such

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

What do the big companies like dovea and progressive pay for bulls like ardlea Dan,Mbp,LSP,lgl and such

I think ADX only cost €4500. The likes of MBP and LGL could cost about €15K.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

I heard at the time that lsp cost over 20 grand. Hes breeding well but nothing unreal i think. How are people finding him ?

• Advertisement

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    I heard at the time that lsp cost over 20 grand. Hes breeding well but nothing unreal i think. How are people finding him ?

I'd say average.... Was just wondering in general what these bulls cost

50HX wrote: »
    was he a tiny dancer??:D
    ???? The bull OKH.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

I got 2 straws of him a couple of years back and got 2 heifers - delighted as he was recommended by Rose Goulding of NCBC. 1st heifer was a lunatic - mightn't be the bulls fault as her mother was unbelievably stubborn. The 2nd heifer was "very narrow" when the AI man went to bull her. Could barely get his hand in. She broke the first time and was equally narrow the 2nd time (her mother was not narrow). He said even if she keeps have the jack handy at calving (we gave her an AA) - she never kept so went ended up sending her to the factory.
    So that was our experience and to answer your question:
    we have no replacements from him!

???? The bull OKH.

the dancer heifer adne was on about

Originally Posted by adne View Post
    Have him on a real good dancer heifer due in feb. Howd u find him size wise at calving

musta been the few cans when i was typing last nite:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

New Dovea journal is out, this will be read inside out by the end of the weekend!

I often find dovea offer better quality than munster. Anyone looking at angus the dubhguilla luigi is throwing nice calves and he is a long bull as well. Bally arden Billy is back ground helps on fleshing..

Bellview wrote: »
    I often find dovea offer better quality than munster. Anyone looking at angus the dubhguilla luigi is throwing nice calves and he is a long bull as well. Bally arden Billy is back ground helps on fleshing..

Decisive...I've found CWI brilliant for consistently producing ,the same could be said of sultan in Munster as well. Simmentals are better in dovea as well I find. Can't really comment on any bull that we've used continuously bar cwi

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Decisive...I've found CWI brilliant for consistently producing ,the same could be said of sultan in Munster as well. Simmentals are better in dovea as well I find. Can't really comment on any bull that we've used continuously bar cwi

Do u not find that CWI breeds tall, leggy plain cattle. Have seen a lot of bad stock off him ?

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Do u not find that CWI breeds tall, leggy plain cattle. Have seen a lot of bad stock off him ?

First pic: the lad on left sold for 1090 at 380kgs,middle 920 at 380kg,right 1200 at 450 kg.
    Second pic:yellow bull at back 350kg 990e.red heifer 395kgs 900(bad price)
    Third pic:420kgs 1020
    4th pic.can't remember....
    5th pic:420 950e(bad price)
    Have 3 heifers in shed I'll take pictures of tomorrow;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

i

Somebodys just been served!!!

What were the ages? Super cattle BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

I have seen a good few of them (a neighbour has about 10) - 1st & 2nd calvers, they are big, stylish and really milky, they do have calves with big birthweights so that is probably what is effecting the stars.... IMO...

Totally disagree with Bellview, Progressive/Munster, for us over the years have been head and shoulders above all the rest generally, in terms of bull quality & semen quality.

Is there not issues with CWI and docility? Just looking at his index. 10 yrs old tomorrow is he still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bellview wrote: »

IMO Simmental is the only breed that dovea consistently comes out on top
    In saying that I see Dovea have a new Simmental that is something like 16% CD
    How many straws are they realistically going to sell of him in a year? Probably less than a thousand?

I have a PB CWI cow. Bought her in the mart. One of the quietest cows I've ever seen. She's more small and wide than tall and leggy.:D

What were the ages? Super cattle BTW.

Around 9 or ten months when sold.

Around 9 or ten months when sold.
    Jeez, that's great money, considering the year that's in it, tradewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

The 2 bulls I was going using this year are not listed in new journal..... I wonder can they still be got or is it a sign they weren't working out...... (Zep and ckh)

IMO Simmental is the only breed that dovea consistently comes out on top
    How many straws are they realistically going to sell of him in a year? Probably less than a thousand?

What bull is that?
    They have a new Simmental bull called Curaheen Gunshot that has a CD of 5.8%, fine looking bull he is too.

Jeez, that's great money, considering the year that's in it, tradewise.

Eh not really .
    Pic one: that was 2015
    Pic 2:2014
    Pic3:2015
    Pic 4 :2014
    Pic 5:this year

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

tanko wrote: »
    IMO Simmental is the only breed that dovea consistently  comes out on top

What bull is that?
    They have a new Simmental bull called Curaheen Gunshot that has a CD of 5.8%, fine looking bull he is too.
    Did anyone see this bull at the Curaheen dispersal? Wish Dovea would broaden their horizons a bit when it comes to bulls, they seem to go to the same few herds within breeds for sourcing.

• Advertisement

Did anyone see this bull at the Curaheen dispersal? Wish Dovea would broaden their horizons a bit when it comes to bulls, they seem to go to the same few herds within breeds for sourcing.

Have they ever had a Curaheen bull before? They're nowhere near as bad as NCBC for going to the same herds for bulls.

Advertisement