Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Did anyone see this bull at the Curaheen dispersal? Wish Dovea would broaden their horizons a bit when it comes to bulls, they seem to go to the same few herds within breeds for sourcing.

Ah in fairness ya have to hand it to them for given 15.500 for a bull. Some investment. Apart from the herd its a new poll blood line.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

tanko wrote: »
    Did anyone see this bull at the Curaheen dispersal? Wish Dovea would broaden their horizons a bit when it comes to bulls, they seem to go to the same few herds within breeds for sourcing.

Have they ever had a Curaheen bull before? They're nowhere near as bad as NCBC for going to the same herds for bulls.
    Not sure about simmentals but but they've 2 Saler bulls from the same herd with pretty close breeding. I agree that they're nowhere near as bad NCBC though! I like Bova, they've imported some nice French bulls and haven't gone overboard on using Irish bloodlines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Not sure about simmentals but but they've 2 Saler bulls from the same herd with pretty close breeding. I agree that they're nowhere near as bad NCBC though! I like Bova, they've imported some nice French bulls and haven't gone overboard on using Irish bloodlines

Have to agree with you about bova they have some super bulls and two new limousin bulls purchased at interlim sale last year. Very easy for PG to keep going to Laois for a lim. Bova very easy to deal with it's a pity they didn't get a fair deal back along the road,
    A sim bull for 15k is not much for an AI station to spend, they have a lot of that back in the first few jumps

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Have to agree with you about bova they have some super bulls and two new limousin bulls purchased at interlim sale last year. Very easy for PG to keep going to Laois for a lim. Bova very easy to deal with it's a pity they didn't get a fair deal back along the road,
    A sim bull for 15k is not much for an AI station to spend, they have a lot of that back in the first few jumps

Agree completely about bova ,have bough straws from all the companies and by far easiest to deal with, not many companies in my experience would ask you about your cow type and what you hoping to breed before selling straws,couldn't say much for munster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree completely about bova ,have bough straws from all the companies and by far easiest to deal with, not many companies in my experience would ask you about your cow type and what you hoping to breed before selling straws,couldn't say much for munster

Agree bova ask what your trying to breed and will tell you straight up how a bull is breeding honestly and always add in a few extra straws on the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Ya I saw him alright, he's a serious animal in the flesh. Have to agree on bova, a pleasure to deal with and a great team of bulls as well. I suppose because they are a small family business they have to be astute in there purchases.
    Best team of simmentals by far available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

tanko wrote:
    Have they ever had a Curaheen bull before? They're nowhere near as bad as NCBC for going to the same herds for bulls.

Agree 100 percent. I will only speak for angus but a number of their bulls are bought from same herd.. not sure these bulls represent what is best in angus breed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Bellview wrote: »
    Agree 100 percent. I will only speak for angus but a number of their bulls are bought from same herd.. not sure these bulls represent what is best in angus breed

I've only one problem with dovea Angus..... RMK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

tanko wrote: »
    What bull is that?
    They have a new Simmental bull called Curaheen Gunshot that has a CD of 5.8%, fine looking bull he is too.

oops! Sorry I wasn't paying enough attention when I was looking at it. It was actually FSD :o

In fairness he is not dovea. He was there privately and now he is with ryanair. Like all pumped up show bulls he bred nothing any good.. never understood how he got stars given some of the rubbish that's off him

• Advertisement

In fairness he is not dovea. He was there privately and now he is with ryanair. Like all pumped up show bulls he bred nothing any good.. never understood how he got stars given some of the rubbish that's off him
    Looking at his stars you would think different though: 407414.jpg
    I've never used him nor have I seen his name come up in progeny at Show's or Sales. 279 births registered to him too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Just browsing and saw Harestone Hercules (S2163), impressive looking bull.
    Has anyone used him, & what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

has anybody have calfs from the Bova Simmental Bull Escalope.

Looking at his stars you would think different though:

I've never used him nor have I seen his name come up in progeny at Show's or Sales. 279 births registered to him too

He is s good case of stars being incorrect and there is a reason why his cattle are never seen out...they are very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

he didn't breed great stock--compared to how many pb stock he sired...ratio! hes long dead now..didn't last too long at his new home.. think bloat got him.. unsure though...he was a fine bull-unsure if merited all the awards he got

Never trust the stars of a bull used purely on PB cows.

wiggy123 wrote: »
    he didn't breed great stock--compared to how many pb stock he sired...ratio! hes long dead now..didn't last too long at his new home.. think bloat got him.. unsure though...he was a fine bull-unsure if merited all the awards he got
    Thought they just took straws off him - didn't think he moved up to the Dovea place? He used to get a lot of attention at Tullamore, remember him being walked up to one of the main walkways and he just stood there for nearly an hour I'd say with his owner and people all around him and he didnt bat an eyelid.

Agreed he had sired stock in UK before he arrived in ireland and they were not great either. In my opinion he was only used for red rosettes. He behaved like a bull that hadn't seen a cow in years as he never glanced ag a cow... any angus I bull ever had would be trying to nudge you in the direction of cows..to check out the action.
    There are numerous stock bulls that are superior event hough these bulls stars are lower than rmk

Never trust the stars of a bull used purely on PB cows.

Not sure what you mean as he just bred crap so his stars are just wrong. The crap though didn't seem to come through in the stars calculation..so it questions how the stars are calculated as the stars are wrong.
    If a bull can breed cattle he will be used and his sons will then do the business in commercial herds as RMK will have credibility in the pedigree world and his genes will help commercial world. There were enough straws used to see could he do the business and overall he flopped

Not sure what you mean as he just bred crap so his stars are just wrong. The crap though didn't seem to come through in the stars calculation..so it questions how the stars are calculated as the stars are wrong.
    If a bull can breed cattle he will be used and his sons will then do the business in commercial herds as RMK will have credibility in the pedigree world and his genes will help commercial world. There were enough straws used to see could he do the business and overall he flopped
    If a bull has expensive straws then the commercial man can't justify using them so they only get used on pedigree cows. Naturally enough those cows and calves get more minding than crossbreeds so you don't get an accurate picture.

Not picking on one breed or one bull. That's across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭limo_100

Just had my first GEZ calf. A good big bull of a ch x fr second calver, calved unassisted. Very impressed with him great bone and thick all the way up the back line and looks like he will have a lot of shape. Will be using him again has anyone else used him?

If a bull has expensive straws then the commercial man can't justify using them so they only get used on pedigree cows. Naturally enough those cows and calves get more minding than crossbreeds so you don't get an accurate picture.

Fair point. Trust me it was a lucky escape as even minding his calves they were still rubbish..if they want into commercial they would not survive...reliability of his stars should be 5 percent as they are 95 percent wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Bought a pedigree fbx Simmental cow today with a lim bull calf at foot. Nice cow and was thinking of ai'ing back to a sim again when the time comes. Any suggestions of bulls to use? Have this lad at the top of the list so far. http://bova-ai.com/?page_id=6944

Bought a pedigree fbx Simmental cow today with a lim bull calf at foot. Nice cow and was thinking of ai'ing back to a sim again when the time comes. Any suggestions of bulls to use? Have this lad at the top of the list so far. http://bova-ai.com/?page_id=6944
    What are you looking to get - replacement or more terminal type of simm? I hear Kilbride Farm Dragoon is going well for people( ZKF) . Don't know how you'd go about getting straws though, icbf says he's through the simm society

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I think Dunmasc genetics have him for €20/straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

I've 4 calves of him and I'm very happy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

What are you looking to get - replacement or more terminal type of simm? I hear Kilbride Farm Dragoon is going well for people( ZKF) . Don't know how you'd go about getting straws though, icbf says he's through the simm society

Size, shape and no curly hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Why no curly hair? Thought that was non negotiable in your neck of the woods
    Size, shape and no curly hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Why no curly hair? Thought that was non negotiable in your neck of the woods

Ballymackeogh heifer I bought , never be cold anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Is there a calf in there?

Advertisement