Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Yup , that heifer is a bit narrow at the back but is grand & quite
    tanko wrote: »
    Is there a calf in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Anyone use dfd on dairy cows last year? Or any experience calving to him? Interested in using him this spring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Why no curly hair? Thought that was non negotiable in your neck of the woods

No not that short tight curly hair some sims have, I don't like it and they are always cold looking outside in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

I know now , rotten looking alright
    No not that short tight curly hair some sims have, I don't like it and they are always cold looking outside in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Which is the out and out AA monster bull for power Size and with milk? I've a AA X Lm cow that slipped a calf and had earmarked her for slaughter but I'd love to give her one last spin of the wheel as she would have some Black heifer but I've never used an AA on a suckler ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

BJG???

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

NIGHTINGALE EL PASO (S1447) is a savage but you're not going to pay €60 for a straw.

LZE Lanigans Red Blaze if you could get then (daughter calving ability could be better!)...

GJB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Bunlahy John in dovea is the one. Breeding powerful cattle but you will need to be nearby when calving just in case. Wouldn't use jumbo king as inconsistent

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Hey guys and gals,
    Has anybody out there used Tomschoice lim bulls the last while?l put a heifer in calf to Tomschoice ironstone here on the AI mans recommendation and was wondering is there any calves on the ground yet?he said he seen a few and was impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

milligan2 wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals,
    Has anybody out there used Tomschoice lim bulls the last while?l put a heifer in calf to Tomschoice ironstone here on the AI mans recommendation and was wondering is there any calves on the ground yet?he said he seen a few and was impressed.

Last Spring our AI Man advised against using Tomschoice lim bulls as he said the reliability of the CD at the time meant the figure was negligible. We went for ZAG on his recommendation. Hope she goes well for you, looks like a fine bull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

sonnybill wrote: »
    Which is the out and out AA monster bull for power Size and with milk? I've a AA X Lm cow that slipped a calf and had earmarked her for slaughter but I'd love to give her one last spin of the wheel as she would have some Black heifer but I've never used an AA on a suckler ?

RGZ has been a very consistent bull here on dairy cows, plenty a growth and power to his stock and he's easy enough calved on cows,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Hey guys and gals,
    Have put Jet (LM4007) on a heifer

Was taliking to a vet today, she was telling me that an Ai man in her area thought it wold be a good idea to put ZCH on heifers last spring.
    This isn't working out too well for the heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Was taliking to a vet today, she was telling me that an Ai man in her area thought it wold be a good idea to put ZCH on heifers last spring.
    This is working out too well for the heifers.

Sarcastic or is he really easy calving

She had to do a few sections on heifers carrying ZCH calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Limofarmer

Hey guys and gals,

I Have 2116 heifer calf here on the ground easy calved and a nice calf . I would say lm2117 is going to be easier calved again . His cd improved in the last Eurostar run . I have seen calves from him and reckon he is prob shaping up to be very suitable for heifers .

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Limofarmer

Zch is def not for heifers . His cd figure is high but saying that we put him on an average cow here and got a fairly big heifer calf . She calved him herself with no assistance calf is doing well with a super growth rate and is going to make a nice replacement in due course . ONI in the breeding should bring milk .

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

This is working out too well for the heifers.

Heard that myself 4 in one herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Last year I was 50/50 on which I'd use, ZAG or ZCH on a PBR Lim heifer I have. Looks like I made the right decision. ZAG is by APM which was that bit more easier calving than ONI, so that swung it for me at the time.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

used him on a second calver but she didnt hold first time and im probably glad she didnt. went for OKH the second time instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

imo GWO is producing great stock. come small at calving. anybody keep any replacements by him?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Barron lad

GWO is throwing great calves, calves have come big for me tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

She had to do a few sections on heifers carrying ZCH calves.

Had one cow calve zch. Definitely not suitable for heifers.

RD10 wrote: »
    imo GWO is producing great stock. come small at calving. anybody keep any replacements by him?

I've never used him but looking at his breeding and the fact that he's a Vantastic son i'd expect his daughters to be really poor for milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Last year I was 50/50 on which I'd use, ZAG or ZCH on a PM Lim heifer I have. Looks like I made the right decision. ZAG is by APM which was that bit more easier calving than ONI, so that swung it for me at the time.

I used Zag on a BB and a blonde heifer.. No probs.. Wasn't too impressed with his calves but they turning inside out at 2-3months so I've changed my mind on him, the heifer calf I may even keep

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Anyone here use CWI ??? I have put a few into big white Charolais mature cows..... whor are due any day now. Are they easy calve? Hoping to get a few replacements as my stars are low on my white charolais as i'm in the BDGS. Any Views... Comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Anyone here use CWI ??? I have put a few into big white Charolais mature cows..... whor are due any day now. Are they easy calve? Hoping to get a few replacements as my stars are low on my white charolais as i'm in the BDGS. Any Views... Comments?

Take a look at this post here- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102382501&postcount=1759 Some nice calves off CWI, few posts around there about him too.
    Only have one cow heifer off him, now she is tall but she's bred a fantastic looking bull this year and is well able to feed him too. Ugly head on her though :o

Has anyone anything off CKH, Carrickbrack Hutch? Looking at the first cow that's supposed to calve :rolleyes: and she's quite heavy, calf then jumped on the wrong side.....no twins in the family though.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

iv got a handy but fairly aged cow (7r8 Calves) due on feb 25th to KZM and she is massive I think there are twins in her family but she is not scanned. has anyone any experiences with him. got feed back that he is fairly handy calving wise

essgee268 wrote: »
    iv got a handy but fairly aged cow (7r8 Calves) due on feb 25th to KZM and she is massive I think there are twins in her family but she is not scanned. has anyone any experiences with him. got feed back that he is fairly handy calving wise

Who said he's handy calving wise?
    Looking at his figures I'd say hope for twins or give the calving jack a service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

a neighbour had 2 handy calves off charolais cows

Advertisement