Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

essgee268 wrote: »
    a neighbour had 2 handy calves off charolais cows

Fair enough, hopefully he'll work out ok for you but all of his calves won't be handy. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Anyone here use CWI ??? I have put a few into big white Charolais mature cows..... whor are due any day now. Are they easy calve? Hoping to get a few replacements as my stars are low on my white charolais as i'm in the BDGS. Any Views... Comments?
    Word on the street is you want a good high crush if using him

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Limofarmer

Word on the street is you want a good high crush if using him

Would have to disagree on that one . I have a bull here out of him and he is quiet as a lamb and easy Handled

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Have a PBR CWI cow here. She has a big ugly head too.:D Lovely cow though. Milky and quiet as a mouse. She does lack muscle.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Have a PBR CWI cow here. She has a big ugly head too.:D Lovely cow though. Milky and quiet as a mouse. She does lack muscle though.

Big raw frame though I'd bet? Ours is quiet too though was a bit nutty as a weanling. I always try and take them into a pen on their own a few days before calving, seems to settle them a hell of a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Looking for Dovea bull to put on limousin suckler bred heifers calving at 2yo with hope of getting some replacements to keep. Ended up using EBY last year to make sure calving difficulty low even though not really a maternal bull. Any thoughts for this year? Wouldn't be inclined to use AA but open to anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

Looking for Dovea bull to put on limousin suckler bred heifers calving at 2yo with hope of getting some replacements to keep. Ended up using EBY last year to make sure calving difficulty low even though not really a maternal bull. Any thoughts for this year? Wouldn't be inclined to use AA but open to anything else.

On the same or different heifers? What did you think of eby?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If anything is a bit narrow give them mlj or the like anything bigger should get eby imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

He wants some replacements, EBY would hardly be great for that job.
    Favars looks like a good option for heifers calving at 2yr old.
    Cavelands Jolly is an interesting looking new bull but hardly suitable for heifers at this stage.
    Would you consider Ulsan the Salers bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »
    Cavelands Jolly is an interesting looking new bull but hardly suitable for heifers at this stage.
    Didn't see that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Why only Dovea?

A lot of heifers bulls out there seem to be more terminal at the moment...

Nelson NLO or OZS Ozeus could be worth a punt depending on the heifers and what you are used too, proven maternal with milk and calving ability hard to resist.....

Who2 wrote: »

On the same or different heifers? What did you think of eby?

Looking for bull for this year's batch of heifers born in 2016. The heifers I put EBY on last year only calving in next few weeks. Just got Dovea catalogue in post last week so that's what got me thinking of what to use this year. From what I hear EBY supposed to be born small but develop well. Not very milky figures but might chance holding on to one or two heifers if off daughters of milky cows of my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Thz (dubai) is easy calved in breds good shapey cattle.
    Not sure what offspring like for milk though and is low in replacement stars

tanko wrote: »

I see Favars in the book alright. Was he used in France before? Would like to be sure the calving difficulty actually as low as figures suggest now.

Half thinking of going away from the Lm to bring a bit of hybrid vigour. All Lm bulls here for last few years. Think my own heifers slow to come bulling age wise last year even though weights good - putting it down to too much of one breed.

Ulsan looks like very easy calving bull. Anyone use him here? Would the bull calves be very plain off saler? (Know can't have it every way though).

Is there any such thing as an easy calved maternal Simmental bull anymore? Dovea don't seem to have one anyway.

Why only Dovea?

A lot of heifers bulls out there seem to be more terminal at the moment...

Nelson NLO or OZS Ozeus could be worth a punt depending on the heifers and what you are used too, proven maternal with milk and calving ability hard to resist.....

Was just thinking Dovea as that's who is local to us and who we've always used. Can you still order straws from one company to deliver and store with another?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Was just thinking Dovea as that's who is local to us and who we've always used. Can you still order straws from one company to deliver and store with another?

Ye you can. Use PG ourselves mainly.

Think Curaheen Earp would do for heifers based on 214 calvings to date.... daughters should have milk!

The continental breeds are slower to come cycling, would you use Hereford?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

If you could justify spending €50 a straw then I would use queenshead altea. I used him over the years on heifers calving down at 2yrs. Mix of lim, blonde and blue heifers. He left some exceptional cattle here and I have one altea heifer here with time up now.

Another easier calver would be Tom's choice iceberg. He's from kaprico eravelle who was a good maternal bull.

Would you consider Aubrac?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Big raw frame though I'd bet? Ours is quiet too though was a bit nutty as a weanling. I always try and take them into a pen on their own a few days before calving, seems to settle them a hell of a lot.

This was my first CWI Calf of 2017. Looks like a replacement...... She's quiet leggy but lively and sucked in minutes. Big Massive cow no trouble calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

This was my first CWI Calf of 2017. Looks like a replacement...... She's quiet leggy but lively and sucked in minutes. Big Massive cow no trouble calving.
    Fine size of a cow. Had the calf much trouble suckling? Have a cow here with huge 'milk bottles' and find the newborns have trouble latching on for the first few days.

Have two replacements in calf to EBY due to calve in mid March. They will be 33mths approx so hopefully no problems. Will not be keeping their calves for replacements as i'm in the BDGS. I just wanted easy calving for heifers....
    Might try AA this season and see what they bring...... Havn't had AA on the farm before. Mainly White Charolais....Terminal..... sell weanlings...

• Advertisement

Fine size of a cow. Had the calf much trouble suckling? Have a cow here with huge 'milk bottles' and find the newborns have trouble latching on for the first few days.

A bit of trouble but i spent an hour last night with her to go around on all four quarters. Two of cows teats were big but the calf managed.. belly full when i went home....

Ye you can. Use PG ourselves mainly.

Think Curaheen Earp would do for heifers based on 214 calvings to date.... daughters should have milk!

The continental breeds are slower to come cycling, would you use Hereford?

Figures for Curaheen Earp look very impressive - good balance for bulls or heifers. Might look into that. Had two handy sized Fr x Sm cows here for years and they were great little cows.

Wouldn't be against looking at Hereford either - Dovea has a bull GGM that looked fine. Last year was first year I tried to bull heifers to calve as 2yo but disappointed with numbers that went in calf - really think some of them just weren't cycling yet.

RobinBanks wrote: »

If you could justify spending €50 a straw then I would use queenshead altea. I used him over the years on heifers calving down at 2yrs. Mix of lim, blonde and blue heifers. He left some exceptional cattle here and I have one altea heifer here with time up now.

Another easier calver would be Tom's choice iceberg. He's from kaprico eravelle who was a good maternal bull.

Would you consider Aubrac?

Don't think I'd go as far as €50 for a straw - just going to give them one chance with AI and then off with the stock bull.

Looked at figures for new Aubrac bull Bison in Dovea book alright. Looked interesting but don't know anything at all about Aubracs other than mixed views i saw on older threads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Might be worth your while trying a Saler bull if you want something new. Best replacement figures out there as a breed and I've calved down heifers at 2 with no issues.

Been meaning to get a photo of our lass for a while, she's no model but she's looking like a good breeder. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102551536&postcount=3000
    That's a topping cow of yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Been meaning to get a photo of our lass for a while, she's no model but she's looking like a good breeder. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102551536&postcount=3000
    I bet you haven't as many photos of your family. Suckler farmers love there cows alright

I bet you haven't as many photos of your family. Suckler farmers love there cows alright

Cows are my family :p
    Nah I find it good to take photos of heifers/calves every few months, see how they progress then when you compare the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Cows are my family :p
    Nah I find it good to take photos of heifers/calves every few months, see how they progress then when you compare the photos.

That's a good idea I might do that

She's a serious breeder alright looking at her calf.... had she any trouble calving him?

• Advertisement

She's a serious breeder alright looking at her calf.... had she any trouble calving him?

Used the jack but myself and the old fella would have pulled him, she'd prob have got him out eventually though. Her mother is a fantastic breeder so that's why we kept her, though her calves we've kept before this were always a bit eh....excitable. So very happy to see this one quiet.

Advertisement