Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Roy Corolla

Hi folks, was looking at ncbc saler bull Beguin for a fiston heifer out of a simmental x Holstein with serious milk, easy calving v important to me and I am picking as high as I can on the maternal index as I am increasing numbers and would like to sell replacement heifers down the line. Any experience good bad or indifferent so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Hi folks, was looking at ncbc saler bull Beguin for a fiston heifer out of a simmental x Holstein with serious milk, easy calving v important to me and I am picking as high as I can on the maternal index as I am increasing numbers and would like to sell replacement heifers down the line. Any experience good bad or indifferent so far?

Doubt if there any calves off him in ireland yet. He has seriously impressive figures on paper. Pity he's €26/straw tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

No experience of him but you could see if they still got pzb, not as high maternally but very happy with stock from him and very easy calved,have two daughters calved off him and there milky and quiet, both have rio heifers at foot and calved unassisted at two years so he may be worth considering too

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

The heifer must have a fairly huge index being FSZx(SIxHO) ..... you could use Beguin, he has 40 calves register to date (PG/Munster/NCBC are now supplying bulls that were previously available from the Salers society).

Looking at Gene Ireland info, Highfield Odhran SA2153, is coming easily and Rose Goulding says he is the quietest Salers Bull she has even come across plus Odhran is €10...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Looking at Gene Ireland info, Highfield Odhran SA2153, is coming easily and Rose Goulding says he is the quietest Salers Bull she has even come across plus Odhran is €10...

Best careful what ai tell you.. we had a thread on this already as every bull is quiet stylish easy calves grows fast ..and when you have a problem the excuse back from same salesperson is the bull is a test etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Bellview wrote: »
    Best careful what ai tell you.. we had a thread on this already as every bull is quiet stylish easy calves grows fast ..and when you have a problem the excuse back from same salesperson is the bull is a test etc

I don't agree with you - perhaps you're dealing with the wrong sales people!

I happen to trust Rose to be fair.... generally doesn't over egg bulls in my experience. Not getting paid commission which probably helps!

Pedigree breeders probably tell more fibs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Roy Corolla

Checked out highfield odran, initially calving figures so far look good but when you click on the calving difficulty tab he is at 15% and 22% for 1st and 2nd parity so far...not sure how this information tallies with a 2.7% overall figure, there are low numbers in the evaluation to be fair. Was enough to scare me tbh. I suppose with heifers 90% + reliability is the safest bet, should rule out Beguin on that logic as well

Odran's sire VTA from Bova is another option at €14/straw. Have two Limx heifers in calf to him to calve at 25 months old here. Also have 4 heifers in calf to Odran which will be calving at 3yr old.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Have used VTA before on heifers, no problems calving and milk wasn't an issue, handy that they were 5 star replacements as a result. Have crossed those saler progeny on charolais and got some lovely golden coloured calves. Have used Lataster Eric( LZR) too and he's brought a lot of height and length for me as well

Have used VTA before on heifers, no problems calving and milk wasn't an issue, handy that they were 5 star replacements as a result. Have crossed those saler progeny on charolais and got some lovely golden coloured calves. Have used Lataster Eric( LZR) too and he's brought a lot of height and length for me as well

Had 4 RIO calves here last year, only one heifer unfortunately but they were easy calved and are quiet.
    Did you have any docility problems with the Salers at calving time?
    How did the Saler bull calves do for you when you sold them as weanlings/stores, did you take much if a hit on them compared say to a Limousin weanling/store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

tanko wrote: »

Had 4 RIO calves here last year, only one heifer unfortunately but they were easy calved and are quiet.
    Did you have any docility problems with the Salers at calving time?
    How did the Saler bull calves do for you when you sold them as weanlings/stores, did you take much if a hit on them compared say to a Limousin weanling/store?
    No major problems re docility at calving, have one cow alright that you leave alone for a few days after she calves, the rest you can walk in a do what you want with the calves as soon as they're born and the cows don't bat an eyelid...still always carry a pike with me just in case though.
    Biggest difference I've noticed when selling is that when they see SAX or SA on the card it tends to turn people off, lots of opinions out there that they're wild animals. Have had most bulls coming close to 450-500kgs weight at a year old, depends on the time of the year they're born. When you weigh your own animals for a few seasons it's great fun to do some analysis and see what cow brings what to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

I happen to trust Rose to be fair.... generally doesn't over egg bulls in my experience. Not getting paid commission which probably helps!

In fairness I didn't name names and my comment was general one. But all ai are commercial business and it's their business to pay the bills including the sales guys commission and the managers bonus.
    On the comments I made above they are included in all ai books without exception. Hence I prefer to see the calf .
    On the maternal beef program there is an angus Goulding Eamon whose calving stats I fear are too low and for any folks that use him may be in for a bad surprise..as his sire is bosollow elmark who is a hard calver and his half brother is Dunbar who is also a cow killer... hence the reason I'm careful of all text I read on bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Anyone ever use ecolo( culard charolais) or even just culard charolais . put him on a cow this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Anyone ever use ecolo( culard charolais) or even just culard charolais . put him on a cow this evening

Would of used LAO, can give that extra on the tall plain cows.
    Calves were smaller at birth compared to ordinary CH, but similar gestation

Anybody use clenagh Jasper or doon just the job or killimor in time. If so any thoughts. I think kzm was mentioned a couple of days ago that he had a good calf that was at some mart or icbf thing

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Christ! They must have taken photo from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Used Ecolo on a BA/LM cow, due in May so shall update then.

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Christ! They must have taken photo from here?

I definitely didn't send photo to them and that isn't even the bull hes out of. Think should I look for compensation?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

I definitely didn't send photo to them and that isn't even the bull hes out of. Think should I look for compensation?;)

It would piss ya off too a bit, when your lookin through an ai book or chatting sales reps ur hopeing the info they give you is fairly on the ball and honest. At the end of the day there into selling straws and promoting new bulls it is all about making money. Ya would at least hope the pics beside the bulls would be genuine progeny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Anybody use clenagh Jasper or doon just the job or killimor in time. If so any thoughts. I think kzm was mentioned a couple of days ago that he had a good calf that was at some mart or icbf thing

KZM looks good, would watch on calving though as his dam is by TVO.

I seen jasper when they bought him at da cracker sale. Nice shapey stylish bull. Not too hard calved i think.

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    KZM looks good, would watch on calving though as his dam is by TVO.

I seen jasper when they bought him at da cracker sale. Nice shapey stylish bull. Not too hard calved i think.

Went with Jasper. Looks a good bull and has the stars

Has anyone used the Dovea CH Coom Indurain CH2000?
    He's a nice looking easy calving bull, his sire CF43 bred nice stock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Well spotted char, will you be getting free straws now?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

blue5000 wrote: »
    Anyone use S2163?

blue5000 wrote: »

Don't know where I stand tbh to get straws

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Same happened me with a Bova bull Doncamillo! Took the photo off here and I only found out when I was flicking though the book.
    tanko wrote: »
    Has anyone used the Dovea CH Coom Indurain CH2000?
    He's a nice looking easy calving bull, his sire CF43 bred nice stock.

I've him put in the dam of your heifer, not due til May though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Mods
    Is the attachment icon gone off the legacy touch site?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Mods
    Is the attachment icon gone off the legacy touch site?

It comes and goes on mine. Seems to have a mind of its own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone calf down APZ (Curaheen Apostle ) heifers yet. I've one here and I'm starting to think she might be a problem.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement