Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

RD10 wrote: »
    used zag this and last year on heifers. no problems with any of them. calved away themselves.

Any photos? Have they good length and shape to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

I have a few cows bulled to fiston. First one was Ai'd on 25/5 on my count 286 days she should be due on 7/3. Does fiston carry long over due date? She is a mature cow so she need any help in general.
    Not used to AI here so sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

ELP wrote: »
    I have a few cows bulled to fiston. First one was Ai'd on 25/5 on my count 286 days she should be due on 7/3. Does fiston carry long over due date? She is a mature cow so she need any help in general.
    Not used to AI here so sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help

According to ICBF his average gestation is 291 days.
    Only had 3 Fiston calvings here so far, 9 months plus 9 days (single calf), 9mths + 7 days (twins) and 9 months + 4 days (twins).
    Fiston is an easy calved bull on cows so i wouldn't be too worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

Thanks for that do no panic till the end of the month then

ELP wrote: »
    Thanks for that do no panic till the end of the month then

Very unlikely it'll be this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

tanko wrote: »
    Only had 3 Fiston calvings here so far, 9 months plus 9 days (single calf), 9mths + 7 days (twins) and 9 months + 4 days (twins).

Where on ICBF do you see the average gestation for bulls?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Parishlad wrote: »
    Where on ICBF do you see the average gestation for bulls?

Go into the calving subsection and then scroll down a small piece

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Go into the calving subsection and then scroll down a small piece

Thanks for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

For a small outfit, they have some line-up of bulls. Like the look of the Lim bull 'Excel'.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Ya they are definitely shrewd buyers alright, those 2 new Lim bulls they purchased in France last year look nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I always wanted to use balmyle vagabond but the stars are against him

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Lots of twins! What breeding behind dams?

Lots of twins! What breeding behind dams?

Yeah, 2 sets of twins out of 3 calvings is a lot, one of the cows is a Pirate x Black white head cow, the other is a CF41 x HKI cow.
    There's a video of Fiston triplet calves on the PG facebook page, i wonder is it in his breeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

larthehar wrote: »
    Any photos? Have they good length and shape to them?

il try get some photos up of them soon. their about a month and a half old now.
    Hard to tell yet how they'll shape up, but ive heard they take off around this age so we'll see.
    grand looking calves at the minute though

anyone have okh-ketic handsome calves on the ground yet?

RD10 wrote: »
    anyone have okh-ketic handsome calves on the ground yet?
    I've an OKH (Keltic Handsome) calf here. Very happy with him. Very quiet, nice shape and extremely growthy. Just ignore the twine chewing.:rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

I've an OHK (Keltic Handsome) calf here. Very happy with him. Very quiet, nice shape and extremely growth. Just ignore the twine chewing.:rolleyes:

Nice Animal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

I've an OHK (Keltic Handsome) calf here. Very happy with him. Very quiet, nice shape and extremely growth. Just ignore the twine chewing.:rolleyes:

Great calf. Much hassle calving?
    Ive a heifer with 295 days to him. Starting to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Have a nice yellow CH Dec 15 heifer I'm keeping for breeding.
    She's off a good 5 star (unknown Sire) SAX cow & ALU.
    With Eurogene (spoilt for choice) so thinking Mereside Jester, Wilodge Goldcard & Lennon Breezer.
    Anyone got a recommendation?

• Advertisement

adne wrote: »
    Great calf. Much hassle calving?
    Ive a heifer with 295 days to him. Starting to worry
    No problems calving, but the mother always has tiny calves. I've seen a few Keltic Bulls at the premier sales in Roscrea and they have all been nice animals.

Had my first okh calf born last night. cow always has a small calf no matter what bull, calf was born unassisted but was on the big side, was just wondering what other people's taughts were on him. he's a good lively calf and sucking away every time you look around. looks like there'll be good shape to him too.
    will put up a picture later if i can

Farrell wrote: »
    With Eurogene (spoilt for choice) so thinking Mereside Jester, Wilodge Goldcard & Lennon Breezer.

Mereside Jet has a muscle figure of 179 and a skeletal figure of 129, his CD will hardly stay at 4% for long.
    What about Tomschoice Jet?

Mereside Jet has a muscle figure of 179 and a skeletal figure of 129, his CD will hardly stay at 4% for long.
    What about Tomschoice Jet?

He looks good & short gestation, looks a bit leggy, but could be an option.
    Have a heifer due next month to Breezer & goldcard looks good, what you think of them?

They all look good, i wouldn't be putting any of them on heifers tho, you're pretty brave with your bull choices.

They all look good, i wouldn't be putting any of them on heifers tho, you're pretty brave with your bull choices.
    Will be going with LM4007.
    I use to look at CD% & reliability, now skeleton & muscle is to be watched.
    Do you have a rule of thumb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Super calf
    I've an OKH (Keltic Handsome) calf here. Very happy with him. Very quiet, nice shape and extremely growth. Just ignore the twine chewing.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

He looks good & short gestation, looks a bit leggy, but could be an option.
    Have a heifer due next month to Breezer & goldcard looks good, what you think of them?

9 per cent reliability!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I know you were asking Tanko and not me but when it comes to heifers I go for 4% or less and at least 40 calves in a calving proof

Heifers aren't the place for test straws no mater the breed

• Advertisement

Not really, you're right to look at CD and reliability first, that's the most important thing but i always have a look at the muscle and skeletal figures if you want to try and correct/balance faults in the cow.
    eg FZF has a skeletal figure of 126, he puts a lot of size and frame into cattle, ONI is 134, he breeds big cattle too.
    Used KJB a fair bit here, his skeletal figure is 111, cattle off him can be a bit small imo. ZAG is 107.
    Store bullocks 16 months old i sold last year off ONI made €100-€150 more than off KJB because they were bigger and longer.
    Then again ICBF figures are far from perfect, HCA is a good example, cattle of him have decent size and plenty of muscle yet he's in the bottom 1% of the Limousin breed for both which is rubbish. He was a super bull to breed U+ cattle that killed out at heavy weights.

Advertisement