Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm putting some Lisnacrann Sunnyboy straws on cows this year to try and put some milk back into cows that lack it. I try and breed my own replacements.

I have a QCD and an APZ heifer which might make cows.

Sorry for dragging up an old comment. How do you like QCD now tanko after having a few? Thinking of putting him on a few milky types as he mightn't bring much milk to the party.

Any sunnyboy calves yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Track9 wrote: »
    Would like your advice on Suckler Dams ( im just a weekender helping out ) Thinking of using a few MRI as Suckler Dams to improve our Cows & Milk .Downline cross with Sim Stock Bull.
    MRI Dams In calf to Limo & B Blue Bulls .Other option wud be Limo Cross Cows .
    Any one with experienxce of MRI as suclker or are they just Red & White Friesians who melt away in first overnight out in the rain .
    T9
    We used to have a MRI bull back a few years when we were still milking. Alot of our SIM cows now in Sucker Herd are traced back to him and they are breeding lovely CH weanlings. More durable then a Fresian in my opinion and worked well in transitioning away from a dairy herd. ie colour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭limo_100

Sorry for dragging up an old comment. How do you like QCD now tanko after having a few? Thinking of putting him on a few milky types as he mightn't bring much milk to the party.

Any sunnyboy calves yet?

Also just wondering has anyone used fifty cent? whats peoples opinion on him? I wonder would he increase size. Just looking at the proofs AHC has come up as a top class bull, and hes polled

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

limo_100 wrote: »
    Also just wondering has anyone used fifty cent? whats peoples opinion on him? I wonder would he increase size. Just looking at the proofs AHC has come up as a top class bull, and hes polled

ive a purebred sim heifer in calf to him. not due until early may though.
    I'd like to know peoples opinions on him aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Any sunnyboy calves yet?

Had 4 QCD calves and only one heifer, she looks good but won't be calving until next spring.
    Will have five Sunnyboy calves in the next month or so hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

I see OZS is now a 3 star replacement bull. After all the super daughters they seen off him france. Ya would wonder.

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    I see OZS is now a 3 star replacement bull. After all the super daughters they seen off him france. Ya would wonder.

Yeah, you would indeed. I had four heifers off him calved last year. I think he breeds nice stuff, the heifers didn't have much milk and I'm hoping they're better this year. I find his calves very quiet yet ICBF say he's three stars within and two stars across breeds for docility.
    His bull calves killed out pretty well after they left here.
    His muscle figure has jumped way up to 149 and his skeletal figure up to 141.
    It's very hard to have any faith in ICBF when their figure keep changing even at high reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Icbf and the agenda of the ai companies is a bit of a farce. Ozs was pushed hard as a great maternal bull 2 and 3 years ago. Now when lads have taken tbe advice the stars start to drop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, you would indeed. I had four heifers off him calved last year. I think he breeds nice stuff, the heifers didn't have much milk and I'm hoping they're better this year. I find his calves very quiet yet ICBF say he's three stars within and two stars across breeds for docility.
    His bull calves killed out pretty well after they left here.
    His muscle figure has jumped way up to 149 and his skeletal figure up to 141.
    It's very hard to have any faith in ICBF when their figure keep changing even at high reliability.

I think you just spotted a mistake there Tanko. OZS was only 45 percentile for muscle and 38 perc fro skeletal on the Dec 2016 proofs. I see he's now 98perc and 97perc now. No way he jumped that much. Deffo a mistake.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Maybe, the muscle and skeletal figures seem to be all over the place for lots of bulls now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

I had some faith in them and was hopeing that as time went on things would even out but its just a joke at this stage. In sayin that its his daughters calving interval thats pulling him down so maybe the info is been sent in to reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

I know for a fact that Bova genetics had the opportunity to buy fifty cent but on inspection turned him down as he was'nt good enough. Progressive bought him shortly after!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭White Clover

I know for a fact that Bova genetics had the opportunity to buy fifty cent but on inspection turned him down as he was'nt good enough. Progressive bought him shortly after!

The bova lads are shrewd businessmen. They have had bulls down the years superior to what the larger ai companies have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

limo_100 wrote: »
    Just looking at the proofs AHC has come up as a top class bull, and hes polled
    Ive three due to him in March and I'm delighted that for nearly the first time a bull I used for replacements hasnt actually dropped like a stone.

One of the cows had twin APZ heifers two years ago and a KEZ bull last year so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

I think you just spotted a mistake there Tanko. OZS was only 45 percentile for muscle and 38 perc fro skeletal on the Dec 2016 proofs. I see he's now 98perc and 97perc now. No way he jumped that much. Deffo a mistake.

:D I see the Linear Type figures have been removed from the ICBF site today.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Surely they'd have tested out this in a sandbox environment before releasing it? Makes it look very unprofessional this kind of carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Beat me to it.
    Was it cos we mentioned its merit last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Would ye bull a cow only 7 weeks calved

No, I'd let the bull do it.:rolleyes:

Have a cow here that calved on April 19th last year and held to Ai on May 29th. She should calve about a month earlier than last year.

• Advertisement

tried it before and cow never held.
    anyway i think they should get a bit of a break before going back in calf again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭limo_100

RD10 wrote: »
    tried it before and cow never held.
    anyway i think they should get a bit of a break before going back in calf again.

7weeks is bang on if not abit late I like my cows to come bulling anytime after 4weeks I aim for an average of 6weeks for every cow

i had tried it a few times at around four and a half to six weeks post calving and they didnt hold for me, hence why i like to leave them for a bit longer now.
    i try to get them on the second heat cycle now. if there was a late calver i'll ai her on first go providing its over 6 weeks.
    Do people use fertility licks and do they find them to be much good at breeding time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Dozer1

had 2 heifers calve themselves at nearly bang on 2 years old to lzf this week makes life easy when they pop out like that.
    up and drank themselves.

bigger heifer last week had a zag calf and had to give a hand with the jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dozer1 wrote: »
    had 2 heifers calve themselves at nearly bang on 2 years old to lzf this week makes life easy when they pop out like that.
    up and drank themselves.

bigger heifer last week had a zag calf and had to give a hand with the jack.

Charolais on 2 year old heifers....your brave

They're back up, lots of Bulls have lost muscle and shrunk in size in the last two days.

I see that. Somebody never carried the one.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

The overall linear score is up but if the bull himself was scored then that data isn't reflective of that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Side point ... linear scoring
    For anyone with PB cattle, do you get them linear scored by the society?
    If so what age?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Farrell wrote: »
    Side point ... linear scoring
    For anyone with PB cattle, do you get them linear scored by the society?
    If so what age?

No icbf do it. Off the top of my head between 150 and 300 days

Advertisement