Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

No icbf do it. Off the top of my head between 150 and 300 days

Have a heifer just gone over the 300.
    This is our first PB registered calf.
    Do I contact the society to arrange?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Farrell wrote: »

What do u expect to gain from it. Are u going to shows? If for selling at home , a Farmer wouldn't look at that I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Farrell wrote: »

Ya probably better off contact the society for the first time. The icbf lad rings us up when it shows on his system that we have some for doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Ya probably better off contact the society for the first time. The icbf lad rings us up when it shows on his system that we have some for doing.

In my opinion waste of time doing scoring. Did it a few times..you are relying on person inspecting knowing the breed..ie a person that is good to score a Belgian blue would not be as good on a hereford...when I asked a few questions of person that came into my yard on reasons for different scores on a fault in animal which I pointed out..they went and changed scores from earlier....so I gave up on scoring as too subjective

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Linear Scoring is very important though. I always look up the values for my own PB cows and try and select a bull to correct their faults. If an animal is very low for muscle for example, I will try and use a bull that has a high muscular score.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Linear Scoring is very important though. I always look up the values for my own PB cows and try and select a bull to correct their faults. If an animal is very low for muscle for example, I will try and use a bull that has a high muscular score.

I agree. I always look at the skeletal figures if I'm looking for replacements. Width at hips should be high for replacements. Don't know how reliable it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

I know for a fact that Bova genetics had the opportunity to buy fifty cent but on inspection turned him down as he was'nt good enough. Progressive bought him shortly after!

It took JK Rowling a year to find a publisher for Harry Potter it has gone on to become a $25 billion franchise.....

Just saying!

Heard that one of the younget munster ai angus bull bringing white and scurs in pedigree angus. Don't want to mention him in case story wrong
    Whelan wiggy have you heard any similar stories.

Had a cow calf a lovely Seepa Tee Jay calf this morning. Lovely colouring, that shorthorn look. Bull of course. Convinced she would have a heifer as she was a few days early and spat him out.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Bellview wrote: »
    Heard that one of the younget munster ai angus bull bringing white and scurs in pedigree angus. Don't want to mention him in case story wrong
    Whelan wiggy have you heard any similar stories.

Surely AA bulls bringing white calves wouldn't be anything new. Have had a black white head calf off RHD and a couple of whole white calves off KDU also have a white calf off KYA here now.
    Never seen an AA bull bring scurs of horns tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Had a cow calf a lovely Seepa Tee Jay calf this morning. Lovely colouring, that shorthorn look. Bull of course. Convinced she would have a heifer as she was a few days early and spat him out.

Have three cows calved to Lisnacrann Sunnyboy this week, twin bulls, single bull and single heifer. All healthy which is the main thing.

tanko wrote:
    Surely AA bulls bringing white calves wouldn't be anything new. Have had a black white head calf off RHD and a couple of whole white calves off KDU also have a white calf off KYA here now. Never seen an AA bull bring scurs of horns tho.

tanko wrote:
    Surely AA bulls bringing white calves wouldn't be anything new. Have had a black white head calf off RHD and a couple of whole white calves off KDU also have a white calf off KYA here now. Never seen an AA bull bring scurs of horns tho.

Agreed for commercial..my question is for pedigree as rumour I heard is a pedigree calf has a white making on his back and also a pedigree has horns.

tanko wrote:

Sorry should have mentioned there was a bull in munster that bred solid scurs...bull is now well dead

Scur??

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Scur??
    Had to google it myself! 
    [font=Helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scurred[/font][font=Helvetica, arial, sans-serif] is a characteristic that can be present in cattle that have been selected to be polled but are historically known to be horned. Scurred is a term describing the soft incomplete buds that would otherwise develop into bony horns. These buds are typically soft and loose or malleable on a bovine's head.[/font]
      [font=Helvetica, arial, sans-serif][*]The scurred trait can be found in any breed that comprises both polled and horned cattle, but has also been known to crop up in naturally polled breeds, especially like that in Angus or Red Angus cattle. Other breeds that scurs can occur in are:
      [/font]

[font=Helvetica, arial, sans-serif]http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-Horned,-Scurred-and-Polled-Cattle[/font]

But..a pedigree aa should not have a scur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

heard nought bellview... re bull like that... prob with some bulls in ai stud(Aberdeen angus bulls) some have usa/aussie bloodlines.. that I am unsure were 100%..my opinion only...
      scurs--heard of that bull--used him twice, 2 bulls from him, were grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I got a load of Bulls off him too. Have to say he leaves great bullocks behind him though.

Had one September calf weigh 530kg at 11months

wiggy123 wrote:
      heard nought bellview... re bull like that... prob with some bulls in ai stud(Aberdeen angus bulls) some have usa/aussie bloodlines.. that I am unsure were 100%..my opinion only... scurs--heard of that bull--used him twice, 2 bulls from him, were grand...

Yes that guy is dead. Your comment on the countries above may be reason
      I thought us guys were running a tighter ship as they test for genetic defects..even de registration of myostatin carriers males

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

tanko wrote: »
      ELP wrote: »
      I have a few cows bulled to fiston. First one was Ai'd on 25/5 on my count 286 days she should be due on 7/3. Does fiston carry long over due date? She is a mature cow so she need any help in general.
      Not used to AI here so sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help

According to ICBF his average gestation is 291 days.
      Only had 3 Fiston calvings here so far, 9 months plus 9 days (single calf), 9mths + 7 days (twins) and 9 months + 4 days (twins).
      Fiston is an easy calved bull on cows so i wouldn't be too worried.
      Cow calves today 289 days took a bit of a pull but was up and sucking in two hours so happy days. My first calf born in the new shed.
      I can't find option to upload photo

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Anyone have any BB cows kept out of EDJ? Smallest cow I have but a dinger to breed, first straw every year, keep herself well, great feet, great milk, super temperament , all U's out of her, TVR every year never a hand left to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Bellview wrote: »
      But..a pedigree aa should not have a scur.

NETHERALLAN PETER PERSHORE has thrown scurs ....

And I think JGY.....

It's a genetic defect so bulls are pedigree.....

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

sonnybill wrote: »
      Anyone have any BB cows kept out of EDJ? Smallest cow I have but a dinger to breed, first straw every year, keep herself well, great feet, great milk, super temperament , all U's out of her, TVR every year never a hand left to her!

TVR on a BB - brave/crazy man!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Seaba wrote: »
      TVR on a BB - brave/crazy man!

TVR Heifer calved down to EBY on Saturday. Quiet Heifer, Calved unassisted and looking well....
      BDGS Has her at the bottom of my reports as a 1 star €28..... Will have to move her on!!!

NETHERALLAN PETER PERSHORE has thrown scurs ....

And some of his sons.. in the us he would have been de registered if genetic defect where in UK that bull was praised everywhere.
      Might explain some of the noise from Scotland in AA society on dna testing

TVR Heifer calved down to EBY on Saturday. Quiet Heifer, Calved unassisted and looking well.... BDGS Has her at the bottom of my reports as a 1 star €28..... Will have to move her on!!!

Are you moving her on over stars or performance. If it's stars then need to ask is that the right decision

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

TVR Heifer calved down to EBY on Saturday. Quiet Heifer, Calved unassisted and looking well....
      BDGS Has her at the bottom of my reports as a 1 star €28..... Will have to move her on!!!

If you are happy with her and unless there is a problem with her I wouldn't move her on account of the index. As we all know it can go up or down but in any event only half your reference number of cows/heifers will need to be 4 or 5 star by 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

croot wrote: »

If you are happy with her and unless there is a problem with her I wouldn't move her on account of the index. As we all know it can go up or down but in any event only half your reference number of cows/heifers will need to be 4 or 5 star by 2020

I think he is been tongue in cheek. A breeding policy based on stars alone is garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

folks do ye find INVERLOCHY GURKHA a hard calver?

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

dh1985 wrote: »
      I think he is been tongue in cheek. A breeding policy based on stars alone is garbage

Wont be moving her on just yet..... will see how she performs and how the calf gets on during the summer. Might be a bit tight on milk.... hard to know yet..

Need a few terminal calves around here too..... as my main income is weanling sales. BDGS isnt all its cracked up to be...... well it wont make you any richer for the small numbers i do breed!! I was all terminal two years ago and had great white charolais but moved to crossing my Charolais Cows with easy calving Limos as my dad is no longer able to help and i have full time job... to make the farming a bit managable. Used no calving jack last year. And none this year so far. fingers crossed....

Advertisement