Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

annubis wrote: »
    folks do ye find INVERLOCHY GURKHA a hard calver?

I found 4 out of him fine but mature cows only and outwintered so they be fit and not over fat at calving.

Fine bull

Seaba wrote: »
    TVR on a BB - brave/crazy man!

She having third from him, no problems but her mother the same great cow to throw them out and don't take a lot of days with them either!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

sonnybill wrote: »
    She having third from him, no problems but her mother the same great cow to throw them out and don't take a lot of days with them either!

Do you breed your own replacements or buy in, if she was mine i'd be trying to get a nice Sim/Lim heifer off her.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

dh1985 wrote: »
    I think he is been tongue in cheek. A breeding policy based on stars alone is garbage

Wont be moving her on just yet..... will see how she performs and how the calf gets on during the summer. Might be a bit tight on milk.... hard to know yet..

Need a few terminal calves around here too..... as my main income is weanling sales. BDGS isnt all its cracked up to be...... well it wont make you any richer for the small numbers i do breed!! I was all terminal two years ago and had great white charolais but moved to crossing my Charolais Cows with easy calving Limos as my dad is no longer able to help and i have full time job... to make the farming a bit managable. Used no calving jack last year. And none this year so far. fingers crossed....

I seen worse looking heifers for milk. It's hard to judge a heifers calf after weaning anyway compared to a cows calf. Any heifer here gets two go's to rear a calf before deciding their faith. I like the look of that heifer. If she was mine I would be keeping her regardless of stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Agreed, I've had heifers throw average calves their first year and have seen a big improvement the following year. Some just get lucky that a heifers first calf is smashing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Anyone use much csq? Going to put him into a few nice sim cows with plenty of room. Is he as hard calved as his numbers suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

^ used csq lots of times, never had a section but a few pulls. lovely cross on anything with a drop of sim breeding alright. Once you get past the shoulders on the calves you're usually home free :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Anyone use much csq? Going to put him into a few nice sim cows with plenty of room. Is he as hard calved as his numbers suggest?

Used him 3 times , they all calved them selves apart from one that need end a bit of a hand but didn't need jack. Allthe calves were on the big side so err on side of caution .Bit disappointed tbh with his calves , have the latest bull calf that looks like a good one but the two heifers before hand are nothing special.

tanko wrote: »
    Do you breed your own replacements or buy in, if she was mine i'd be trying to get a nice Sim/Lim heifer off her.

I breed my own, I kept a black OZS heifer from her and she nice, again not huge but breeds good size weight and shape.

Had a nice grey TVR out of her got 3.57 a kg for her but she was exported , I might think of a good leggy simm on her but she young yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8 crookey

I calved foreman out of a jockey heifer,,serious calf,kept him to run with my commercial heard last year,,massive bull calfs out of him,mighty back end,calved 12 so far,3 on the jack and 1 the side door,,heifers are coming nice and shapely,,but I wouldn't call him the easiest of calving bulls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The after effects of too much drink. Two IS4 calves. Bulls of course.:mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Was looking for his straws this year and I couldn't get any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Yeah got plenty of Bulls off him too but have to say they were great calves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Was looking for his straws this year and I couldn't get any.
    They were gone for me too when I asked later last year.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

There's a clearance sale in Carrigallen on Monday night that has IS4 cows in it, will be going to have a look anyway!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Is Sligo A.I still going. They had a parthenaise bull there that I was going to get straws from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

There's a clearance sale in Carrigallen on Monday night that has IS4 cows in it, will be going to have a look anyway!:D
    Sprinters or calves at foot

Farrell wrote: »
    Sprinters or calves at foot

This is easier than typing it all!

K6ZMXAkl.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Anyone use the lm bull goldies jackpot from progressive genetics? He looks an impressive bull. Wouldnt mind using a few straws from him

farming93 wrote: »
    Anyone use the lm bull goldies jackpot from progressive genetics? He looks an impressive bull. Wouldnt mind using a few straws from him

The price for his straws is impressive anyway, €55/straw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

Hi looking for some info on good si or he bulls to put on limx cows. All info welcome. Had 5 xcd bulls this year so no replacements. But a few kdz. New to the si breeding and only second year ai. Have terminal bull of byq for cleaning up and putting on non material cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

valtra2 wrote: »
    Hi looking for some info on good si or he bulls to put on limx cows. All info welcome. Had 5 xcd bulls this year so no replacements. But a few kdz. New to the si breeding and only second year ai. Have terminal bull of byq for cleaning up and putting on non material cows.

I said that to the ai man one day "a good lim bull" for that cow there and he said shut they're all good bulls.

Are your current cows not milky, not fertile,too small,too big,too plaon!/muscly . why do u want to use sim...is it for selling replacements or just your own

I said that to the ai man one day "a good lim bull" for that cow there and he said shut they're all good bulls.

Are your current cows not milky, not fertile,too small,too big,too plaon!/muscly . why do u want to use sim...is it for selling replacements or just your own

More milk and size. They are starting to get up to 80percent lim so would like to cross to get a bit more size and milk. It's for my own replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

More milk and size. They are starting to get up to 80percent lim so would like to cross to get a bit more size and milk. It's for my own replacement.

Exactly same boat myself - only use AI on heifers so looking for something easy calved - Curaheen Earp was recommended before but see his calving difficulty has gone up a bit on last proof

That was very unlucky to get five bulls, maybe try him again and you'll get all heifers. I'm thinking about using him this year. His calving difficulty is only 3.8% at 84% reliability. Will have some Curaheen Earp calves here in the next month or so here.

Kilbride farm Dragoon looks like a serious bull but he's only for mature cows i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭limo_100

Exactly same boat myself - only use AI on heifers so looking for something easy calved - Curaheen Earp was recommended before but see his calving difficulty has gone up a bit on last proof

I have being using the simmentals for the past few years and i have being putting them exclusively on heifers, This year I got 3KEZ heifers one Is4 heifer and one earp heifer las night. Thats 5 heifer calves and I only had one bull an is4 bull. Last year I got two heifers out of 4 calves. One KEZ heifer thats now in calf to earp herself and one ZBF heifer that got injured and wont be kept. and I had one KEZ and one apz bulls calves. There both going to be sold soon as bullocks

That was very unlucky to get five bulls, maybe try him again and you'll get all heifers. I'm thinking about using him this year. His calving difficulty is only 3.8% at 84% reliability. Will have some Curaheen Earp calves here in the next month or so here.

Kilbride farm Dragoon looks like a serious bull but he's only for mature cows i'd say.

Ya don't talk to me. Bought 10 straws only 5 took and they were bulls. Was all on hefeir. Ya Kilbride farm escalope looks something similar.all calfed themselves no problem and calfs looking very good. Great shape.

What do you think of the XCD Bulls, have they a bit of muscle and shape to them?

What do you think of the XCD Bulls, have they a bit of muscle and shape to them?

Ya great shape. Someone said maybe a bit short but I don't see that in them. Will put up a few pictures later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

What limousin bulls are people going to use this year?

Advertisement