Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

RobinBanks wrote: »
    What limousin bulls are people going to use this year?

TVR, VDT, KZH and either LM2242 or Vermeil on one cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The old reliables. Fl22 and ADX. Night use a polled bull too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Have some Gamin ZGM straws so will use them, might get some Lodge Hamlet also. Have given up using Lim bulls to breed replacements so might use XCD to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Kjb and eby

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Going to try mullary intrepid, edendale ivor, eby and old reliable rocky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Gzp from world wide sires on heifers Gamin and Excel from Bova.

Gzp from world wide sires on heifers Gamin and Excel from Bova.

Didn't think GZP was still available, did you get him recently?
    Had my first Gamin calf here last week, he's small but well muscled, have you used him much?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Going to try mullary intrepid, edendale ivor, eby and old reliable rocky

Have a few Ewdenvale Ivor calves born here over the last few week. All calved unassisted. Nice handy calves starting to shape up now after 3 weeks.

Used eby last year. So far I prefer the calves from lm2014

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Have a few Ewdenvale Ivor calves born here over the last few week. All calved unassisted. Nice handy calves starting to shape up now after 3 weeks.

Used eby last year. So far I prefer the calves from lm2014

Oh that's great to get some feedback on ivor. Lovely looking bull. I've a few eby calves this year but they are fairly plain. Out of 1st calf heifers. Were your ivor calves from cows or heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Oh that's great to get some feedback on ivor. Lovely looking bull. I've a few eby calves this year but they are fairly plain. Out of 1st calf heifers. Were your ivor calves from cows or heifers

They where from 2nd and 3rd calves

• Advertisement

There's a clearance sale in Carrigallen on Monday night that has IS4 cows in it, will be going to have a look anyway!:D

Any new cows in the shed???

tanko wrote: »
    Any new cows in the shed???

Didn't actually get the time to go :( Did anyone else make it? Farrell??

Yeh Tanko got 40 of him only a month or so ago. Rang the owner direct. He was telling me hes available through world wide sires. No Gamin calves yet. Have him in the tank for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Didn't actually get the time to go :( Did anyone else make it? Farrell??

Got held up & only made it at 840.
    From what I saw, Great stock with great prices. Nice SIX cow with twin LMX heifers €2300, BBX cow with LMX calf €1800

Farrell wrote: »
    Got held up & only made it at 840.
    From what I saw, Great stock with great prices. Nice SIX cow with twin LMX heifers €2300, BBX cow with LMX calf €1800

Glad I kept the chequebook at home so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Glad I kept the chequebook at home so!
    Think they take card, so you're sorted

Farrell wrote: »
    Think they take card, so you're sorted

If I could have the animal at the house by the time the card is rejected we'd be doing mighty :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

How many days post calving do you serve. I am going with 45 is that a bit soon

Bull away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

What do you think of the XCD Bulls, have they a bit of muscle and shape to them?

Not the best pic. Camera broke but xcd bull 10 weeks old and a bobino hefeir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just in from calving a PB heifer. Bit of a pull but didn't use the jack. I'm a big convert to on/off pulling and plenty of lube. A fine TOMSCHOICE IRONSTONE (LM2116) bull. She calved a full 7 days early, at 282 days, so that helped a lot. Heifer was only 21 months too.:( What was I thinking. EDIT - 33 months actually. Years mixed up.
    She completely ignored him when I was there too, but I see her now on the calving camera mad licking him.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Just in from calving a PB heifer. Bit of a pull but didn't use the jack. I'm a big convert to on/off pulling and plenty of lube. A fine TOMSCHOICE IRONSTONE (LM2116) bull. She calved a full 7 days early, at 282 days, so that helped a lot. Heifer was only 21 months too.:( What was I thinking.
    She completely ignored him when I was there too, but I see her now on the calving camera mad licking him.

Same as myself, pull/stop/pull/stop & go with the cow. Had one yesterday at 22 months to EBY so you're not alone. Calved at 274 days so reckon she got a wallop, calf also had a leg down so lucky enough it was during the day as she just had a water bag all of a sudden on the slats. Then the fecker wouldn't suck for me until I got his back end emptied of wax, such a glamorous job! :pac: If it won't go in one end, check the other end and see if anything is coming out of there first :D:D

Still not sucking the heifer but she's very maternal, licking at him and all, he's mooching about in the pen too. She just has no bag for him so dairy nuts for her & milk replacer for him & I'll keep them together & hope he gets a bit manlier to suck himself.

Ah, the joys eh. My fella is so heavy he cant stand up himself. held him up to her but he wouldn't suck. Managed to milk 1/2 litre out of her and tubed him. That's all she would let down.
    It will be a while before he drinks her on his own, I think.

Wouldn't consider LM2116 that easy calving, judging by the size of him, but he is very long, so that helped.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Ah, the joys eh. My fella is so heavy he cant stand up himself. held him up to her but he wouldn't suck. Managed to milk 1/2 litre out of her and tubed him. That's all she would let down.

Wouldn't consider LM2116 that easy calving, judging by the size of him, but he is very long, so that helped.

Our is average sized, head and shoulders were the biggest part of him. Our local vets does 2kg of milk powder in a tub now for €6, very very handy for things like this! They just dish out one large bag of Shine between tubs. Luckily we had a couple of litres in the freezer so he got a dose of beestings into him anyway.
    Those Tomschoice bulls are decent though, bet yours will be far nicer than mine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Hey Patsy,I put him on a few heifers and am kinda regretting it as his calving diff figures are creeping up.My AI man recommended him though and said he's seen some crackers off him.
    Had your heifer good hips or was she a little tight?

My heifer is exceptionally small but her hips are right in shape, if you know what I mean. She is muscley and probably too well fleshed so tight because of that. No extra restriction at the calves hips either. She was so blown up before she calved I was worried it would be a cesarian.

I started using easy calving Salers on heifers, last year RIO and had a handy little Highfield Odran heifer calf this week, they're a safe option i think.
    Had a super bull calf off KYA last year, he's an ideal bull for a heifer, plenty of muscle and shape to his calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I started using easy calving Salers on heifers, last year RIO and had a handy little Highfield Odran heifer calf this week, they're a safe option i think.
    Had a super bull calf off KYA last year, he's an ideal bull for a heifer, plenty of muscle and shape to his calves.

Kya is good in fairness born small but fill out nicely even for the likes of ourselves selling pre 6 weeks off friesians.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

My heifer is exceptionally small but her hips are right in shape, if you know what I mean. She is muscley and probably too well fleshed so tight because of that. No extra restriction at the calves hips either. She was so blown up before she calved I was worried it would be a cesarian.

Had one the same this year,a low butty type that put on condition easily and she barely got out a ZAG heifer

• Advertisement

Had a 21 mth OHT heifer calve down with a decent ZLL angus bull calf. Took a bit of a pull like the lads above said took it handy pulled a bit then let the heifer work for a while. Slid out handy enough no stress. Don't know if she would have done it her self though. Stomach tubed him with frozen beistings. He sucked after about 7-8 hours

Advertisement