Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Just in from calving a PB heifer. Bit of a pull but didn't use the jack. I'm a big convert to on/off pulling and plenty of lube. A fine TOMSCHOICE IRONSTONE (LM2116) bull. She calved a full 7 days early, at 282 days, so that helped a lot. Heifer was only 21 months too.:( What was I thinking. EDIT - 33 months actually. Years mixed up.
    She completely ignored him when I was there too, but I see her now on the calving camera mad licking him.

was just going through the catalogue earlier myself and decided i'd pass on LM2116 for this year. i'm not sure what i think of him yet.
    Has anyone used LM2242, eddakya?
    am thinking of using him this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

TVR, VDT, KZH and either LM2242 or Vermeil on one cow.
    RD10 wrote: »
    was just going through the catalogue earlier myself and decided i'd pass on LM2116 for this year. i'm not sure what i think of him yet.
    Has anyone used LM2242, eddakya?
    am thinking of using him this year

As above, am planning on using him! Seems stylish enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Fiston bull.. Big calf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Noice!
    sonnybill wrote: »
    Fiston bull.. Big calf

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Yeh rd10 have straws of him in the tank for this year. Just 5 i think. Got him through the gene ireland programme last year €5 a pop could'nt go wrong!

• Advertisement

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Noice!

My auld lad gave small pull with ropes only but he is Massive!!

Great coween, 5 CH Bulls in a row and I only have her 48 months ! e1125 for full brother of this boy

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Hi Patsy our AI man recommended Lm2116 for heifers too when oul lad asked for easy calving LM. Didn't like his figures so we only used him once and then we switched to LM2117 for other few heifers. My question is LM2117 any better though ??

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

going sticking with zag on the heifers. all calved away no problem. only one calf came on the bigger side. charlaois breeding in the mother, still calved herself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Have 3 heifer calves outta Zag this year all pretty big out of cows though . Be afraid to put him on the heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

pure breed wrote: »
    Hi Patsy our AI man recommended Lm2116 for heifers too when oul lad asked for easy calving LM. Didn't like his figures so we only used him once and then we switched to LM2117 for other few heifers. My question is LM2117 any better though ??
    LM2117 is only average for calving too, at 4.8% and 81% REL.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Have 3 heifer calves outta Zag this year all pretty big out of cows though . Be afraid to put him on the heifers.
    If I find a bulk that works on heifers I tend to stick with him until I can't get him again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Have saw handy heifers calved down to him at 24 mts. He's bang on for heifers. Eby is easy calved to but a plainer calf imo

Of all the Tomschoice bulls that i have seen lm4007 from eurogene looks by far the finest bull of them all. He looks to have serious length and top class conformation also he is right up there with the very best for maternal and terminal figures. Definatly the one i'll be going with! Again same as his brothers lm4116 and 7 his reliability would want to be a bit higher before i'd lob him into a heap of heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Of all the Tomschoice bulls that i have seen lm4007 from eurogene looks by far the finest bull of them all. He looks to have serious length and top class conformation also he is right up there with the very best for maternal and terminal figures. Definatly the one i'll be going with! Again same as his brothers lm4116 and 7 his reliability would want to be a bit higher before i'd lob him into a heap of heifers.
    Is that not the problem, when they're in the catalog the reliability is poor but when the reliability gets good they're gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Canaryblue wrote: »
    By any chance does anyone have any calves by the Gene Ireland bull Dereskit Improver (PDR)? Have two heifers in calf to him
    How did these go for you?

Seaba wrote: »
    TVR on a BB - brave/crazy man!

She calved herself but she earned it at the hips to be fair

Lovely calf heifer

She calved herself but she earned it at the hips to be fair

Lovely calf heifer

Would ye chance to keep her lads or too much muscle there with TVR and EDJ ? She has height from TVR and the dam has great bag and rears great calves and very consistent

Has anyone any calves from the Dovea Saler bull ulsan. Thinking of getting a few for 24mth heifers instead of Angus. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Would ye chance to keep her lads or too much muscle there with TVR and EDJ ? She has height from TVR and the dam has great bag and rears great calves and very consistent

I'd be keepin her if she was mine. She doesn't look too extreme in muscle.
    Super team

Has anyone any calves from the Dovea Saler bull ulsan. Thinking of getting a few for 24mth heifers instead of Angus. Thanks

Intersted to hear any feedback too, have a heifer due to him at the end of next month. Heifer that was a 1 star and and shot up to almost 5 star off the polled ch Alwent Hitman.
    Only for I was on AI duty that day there'd be a limo put on her so can't wait to see what comes out!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Two handy little Highfield Odran heifer calves off 3yr old FZF first calvers arrived here this week. Very impressed with how easy calved they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Looking to AI a few cows 6/9 year olds, big framed animals how night could I go with calving difficulty.

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Looking to AI a few cows 6/9 year olds, big framed animals how night could I go with calving difficulty.

What breeds are they and what have they calved before & were there any issues? And will you be available at calving time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Depending on the cuw the Sky's the limit

What breeds are they and what have they calved before & were there any issues? And will you be available at calving time!

How's that crossmilina Jupiter calf coming along.have a couple of cows bulled to him

How's that crossmilina Jupiter calf coming along.have a couple of cows bulled to him

Absolutely HUGE in the shoulders, more like a bull. Am putting her off to outfarm tomorrow, must get a pic before she goes. Latest pic is here but it's a ****e pic, she's still a clone of mum!
    POY9avwl.jpg

Absolutely HUGE in the shoulders, more like a bull. Am putting her off to outfarm tomorrow, must get a pic before she goes. Latest pic is here but it's a ****e pic, she's still a clone of mum!

Dainty from the side but built like a bull in front :D Prob use him on the same cow again.

OJB9QEVl.png
    eGeDutpl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Will you keep her? She's a smashing heifer but might hit you a little with fertility.

Will you keep her? She's a smashing heifer but might hit you a little with fertility.

Yea we'll keep her, dam is very good fertility wise, and her granddam never repeated once! (I only remember that cause she was the first cow I owned :pac:)
    Her granddam was also br fr so I'd say she'll be ok milk wise too.

• Advertisement

Never found a charolais cow any worse for fertility than other cows other than a purebred which could sink a good few straws

Advertisement