Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Was scanning today, went well ,everything in calf including the fifteen month heifer who's 7 months gone. Bought her 5 months ago, what would be the going rate per day on top of the sale price(won't k3ep her because I'm not too happy with her anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

Was scanning today, went well ,everything in calf including the fifteen month heifer who's 7 months gone. Bought her 5 months ago, what would be the going rate per day on top of the sale price(won't k3ep her because I'm not too happy with her anyway)

the going rate is around 1.50-2 per day although heard of lads trying their hand at 3. euro. the last limo sale i was at had terms that no more than 25% of the cost price of an animal could be claimed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Never found a charolais cow any worse for fertility than other cows other than a purebred which could sink a good few straws

Sorry i ment more by her actual sire who wouldn't be the best fertility wise not ch in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Has anyone any calves from the Dovea Saler bull ulsan. Thinking of getting a few for 24mth heifers instead of Angus. Thanks

Intersted to hear any feedback too, have a heifer due to him at the end of next month. Heifer that was a 1 star and and shot up to almost 5 star off the polled ch Alwent Hitman.
    Only for I was on AI duty that day there'd be a limo put on her so can't wait to see what comes out!:D
    From what I've been told by the Saler Society Ulsan will be very easy calving and a load of milk too. Won't bring much muscle so the recommendation was to use him on animals that bring some beefyness with them...get a heifer calf and you're sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

From what I've been told by the Saler Society Ulsan will be very easy calving and a load of milk too. Won't bring much muscle so the recommendation was to use him on animals that bring some beefyness with them...get a heifer calf and you're sorted!

Thanks, sods law dictates that she'll have a bull so!

Had a heifer calve a lovely heifer calf off THZ last year, bang on her due date. And feck me isn't she incalf to him again, due on Wednesday and looks like she'll calve bang on time again! He's supposed to be a long enough gestation too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Going by last week's journal ulsan is 2nd in the top 10 for replacements. Very easy calve but his still +22kg carcase (67% reliability ). So should be good either way. Going to use him myself this year on heifers. Anyone any calves by him?
    How did they turn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Farmer Dan wrote: »

Going by last week's journal ulsan is 2nd in the top 10 for replacements. Very easy calve but his still +22kg carcase (67% reliability ). So should be good either way. Going to use him myself this year on heifers. Anyone any calves by him?
    How did they turn out?
    I used him on a few heifers last Autumn mainly on a guy in my DG's recommendation. He had some pics of spring calves he had on his phone. All heifers calved themselves and the calves were up and sucking on their own. They weren't that muscly at about 5 months but they all had good frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

sonnybill wrote: »
    Which is the out and out AA monster bull for power Size and with milk? I've a AA X Lm cow that slipped a calf and had earmarked her for slaughter but I'd love to give her one last spin of the wheel as she would have some Black heifer but I've never used an AA on a suckler ?

I wanted Jumbo king GJB, ai man was out of him, got a choice of KYA or RGZ, went with KYA but wondering now is he smaller type bred for dairy AA selling calves . RGZ seems to be better For milk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

KYA is super easy calved.

RGZ is probably the better Bull for sucklers but a small live calf is worth a lot more than a big dead one. And to be fair for a bull so easy calved they do grow well.

Just be careful that the calves come very early with him so make sure you have the calving shed ready in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

RD10 wrote: »
    Ya ZAG was the bull in my head to use. Ive a heifer to calve to him next minth so we'll soon see how his calves are.
    Just looking at last yrs catalogue, ZCH was 5* replacement at €246 and 4.7% calving difficulty and now he's at €101 and 7.10% calving difficulty.
    I prefer to use the limo's. They usually calf ok with the odd bit of help. As long as their big enough at calving thats the main thing.

That's after the base change and everything though & what was the reliability!

• Advertisement

sonnybill wrote: »
    I wanted Jumbo king GJB, ai man was out of him, got a choice of KYA or RGZ, went with KYA but wondering now is he smaller type bred for dairy AA selling calves . RGZ seems to be better For milk

If she repeats give her RGZ.....

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Anybody use goldies jackpot from Munster A.I?
    Bought a couple of straws to put on a couple of good commercials,figures look serious and his sire seems to be doing the biz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

sonnybill wrote:

KYA have been put in one of the Teagasc herds. They are small but at 12 months of age they kick on well..
    What is temperament of the rgz like.. I have seen some lively sons of his

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Ordered Goldies Jackpot only yesterday for a rew pedigrees. I would have thought at 50 a pop on diy he would be a bit pricey for commercials. On the point what straw price limit would everyone put on for the commercials?? Tend to stick between 5 and 10 euro myself with the odd few 12 euro ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ordered Goldies Jackpot only yesterday for a rew pedigrees. I would have thought at 50 a pop on diy he would be a bit pricey for commercials. On the point what straw price limit would everyone put on for the commercials?? Tend to stick between 5 and 10 euro myself with the odd few 12 euro ones.
    Its 30 for a cow with ai man and 5 for a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Bellview wrote: »
    KYA have been put in one of the Teagasc herds. They are small but at 12 months of age they kick on well..
    What is temperament of the rgz like.. I have seen some lively sons of his

Had rgz x fr heifers and they were very flighty, there lim and salers comrades would all come to you in the field to scratch them. strangely enough the few bulls we kept from him were OK .he does throw fine cattle tho

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

He is pricey but the cows that il try him on are right good ones and keep after one straw😬
    Any one of ye guys try premium straws on good commercial cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Tismesoitis, I looked at this bull but decided to wait until his reliability comes up a bit. Got caught before. Very interested to see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I have a small light boned landais blonde cow. She's had 2 Lim calves so far. Wondering would be a good tall terminal bull that might suit. Lim or parthenaise. She's very milky so don't want to use a maternal bull on her

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Mac Taylor wrote:
    Tismesoitis, I looked at this bull but decided to wait until his reliability comes up a bit. Got caught before. Very interested to see how you get on.

Yeh i know he has no calves on the ground yet. The resson i got him is his he looks a great animal and his mother has'nt put a foot wrong unbelievable cow. Coupled with Foreman its a fair package. It will be interesting. Looking forward to seeing them!!

• Advertisement

Mac Taylor wrote: »

At that price he will be mainly used in pedigree herds his reliability will go up over time ..... but the quality of the data might not be the best!

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I have a small light boned landais blonde cow. She's had 2 Lim calves so far. Wondering would be a good tall terminal bull that might suit. Lim or parthenaise. She's very milky so don't want to use a maternal bull on her

Nelson although Maternal has Skeletal figure of 134, VDT, UTL, GWO & LM2206 options too...

UTL & GWO more terminal if that's what you want...

+1 on GWO. Good bone and frame on any I had and if the mother has milk you will have a good calf. He is high for maternal for some reason but I don't know why because he's minus for milk.

croot wrote: »
    +1 on GWO. Good bone and frame on any I had and if the mother has milk you will have a good calf. He is high for maternal for some reason but I don't know why because he's minus for milk.

Terminal index has big affect on Replacement Index (as 1/2 calves will be bulls & not all females will be kept)..

https://www.icbf.com/wp/?p=7999

Try Hurricane Gonzo on her

Its 30 for a cow with ai man and 5 for a repeat.

No for that bull it ain't!

€14 would be my limit for a commercial straw

Terminal index has big affect on Replacement Index (as 1/2 calves will be bulls & not all females will be kept)..

https://www.icbf.com/wp/?p=7999

I know the reason behind the index but my opinion is if the bull is minus for milk they shouldn't be high on the maternal index.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Anyone here have any blue cows by SFL, how are they going for ye?

croot wrote: »
    I know the reason behind the index but my opinion is if the bull is minus for milk they shouldn't be high on the maternal index.

That's ridiculous, would remove most sires...

Then say if the daughters have poor calving ability 6%+ remove them too (need good calvers), stick in minus calving interval sure (fertility), docility (need that), and bit of reliability 75% (important), €74+ on Replacement Index for BDGP (a must), minus on gestation length (helps with CI) (I'll ignore the terminal traits sure only 51% on the progeny are male)....

(Just did that on active bull list, left 1 out of 322, GJB...)

• Advertisement

That's ridiculous, would remove most CH & LM sires...

Then say if the daughters have poor calving ability 6%+ remove them too (need good calvers), stick in minus calving interval sure (fertility), docility (need that), and bit of reliability 75% (important), €74+ on Replacement Index for BDGP (a must), minus on gestation length (helps with CI) (I'll ignore the terminal traits sure only 51% on the progeny are male)....

(Just did that on active bull list, left 1 out of 322, GJB...)

*buys up All the GJB straws he can get

Advertisement