Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

That's ridiculous, would remove most sires...

Then say if the daughters have poor calving ability 6%+ remove them too (need good calvers), stick in minus calving interval sure (fertility), docility (need that), and bit of reliability 75% (important), €74+ on Replacement Index for BDGP (a must), minus on gestation length (helps with CI) (I'll ignore the terminal traits sure only 51% on the progeny are male)....

(Just did that on active bull list, left 1 out of 322, GJB...)

Who mentioned remove????

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

croot wrote: »
    Who mentioned remove????

Got my wires a little crossed an went with it Croot!

You said "I know the reason behind the index but my opinion is if the bull is minus for milk they shouldn't be high on the maternal index."

I ran and ran and ran with that!!!

I suppose what I was trying to get at is that, no bull is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Got my wires a little crossed an went with it Croot!

You said "I know the reason behind the index but my opinion is if the bull is minus for milk they shouldn't be high on the maternal index."

I ran and ran and ran with that!!!

I suppose what I was trying to get at is that, no bull is perfect.

Ahh I know. And then any that you think are perfect wont be when you have calves from them.

I just meant in GWO's case that I had a few heifers off him and was disappointed with the milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

*buys up All the GJB straws he can get

Have you any heifers/cows off GJB calved?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Bigbird1 wrote:
    Anyone here have any blue cows by SFL, how are they going for ye?

Have 1 lady by him here. In general i would'nt entertain bb cows but this one is doing the biz. Plenty of milk calves easy and produces a good calf. Keeping her heifer calf from last year for breeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Have 1 lady by him here. In general i would'nt entertain bb cows but this one is doing the biz. Plenty of milk calves easy and produces a good calf. Keeping her heifer calf from last year for breeding.

Good stuff, is she the much sought after red/roan colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

No she a dark blue type. Don't get the colour thing myself! An animal is either a good one or a not so good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

tanko wrote: »
    Have you any heifers/cows off GJB calved?

No. I bulled a heifer yesterday but nothing calved yet. Only got bulls off him the first year I used him

Anyone got an opinion on the Dovea Charolais bull Bivouac (CH2218).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Anyone got an opinion on the Dovea Charolais bull Bivouac (CH2218).

Are you hoping for Maternal or just easy Calving?
    Personally I'd prefer Loki or Jasper2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Friend has pedigree ch and he loves jasper2 as a mix of terminal and maternal. He has a few smashing calves off doon just the job as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Friend has pedigree ch and he loves jasper2 as a mix of terminal and maternal. He has a few smashing calves off doon just the job as well.
    He looks impressive
    Is Coom Indurain small, or is that just my perception, would you need a tall cow?

Not maternal really, a neighbour of mine has a son of Pinay as a stock bull, he's easy calving and produces nice calves.
    Yellow CH'S are still the best sellers as weanlings, have some Fiston straws so will use them first anyway.

He looks impressive
    Is Coom Indurain small, or is that just my perception, would you need a tall cow?

Don't know any thing about him to be honest so I can't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Used Coom Ind last yr on mid sized Simme Cross Cow. His calves born smallish, no assist.but very shapely spec back & rear end .Calk carried Coom colour & was snow white. Have another few off diff AI Bulls , but Coom Ind calf is growing very quickly & leaving other calves looking like cats when he is next to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just had a red limousine cow calf to KEELDRUM CAPONE 11 (KEZ). Now the grandmother was a red Simmental. Calf is black & white in colour. Bull of course.
    Is KEZ throwing black calves?

When I went to check the cow, she obliged by just pushing out the calf as I arrived. Went back an hour later and the calf obliged by standing up and drinking when I was there. Think i'll switch to all summer calving. Cow didn't even mark the field where she calved. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Just had a red limousine cow calf to KEELDRUM CAPONE 11 (KEZ). Now the grandmother was a red Simmental. Calf is black & white in colour. Bull of course.

When I went to check the cow, she obliged by just pushing out the calf as I arrived. Went back an hour later and the calf obliged by standing up and drinking when I was there. Think i'll switch to all summer calving. Cow didn't even mark the field where she calved. :D

Very strange i think. Were did the black come from red mother and red grand mother?

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Very strange i think. Were did the black come from red mother and red grand mother?
    From over the ditch maybe.:rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

From over the ditch maybe.:rolleyes:

Some of the old simmentals could transmit black hairs. Saw a pedigree bull a few years ago out of herrsher with a black tail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

There used to be an AI man round here years ago.....I literally never remember him sober in the yard!

• Advertisement

This is the KEZ bull calf. The mother beside him, is by the Lim bull ADX. (She's the milkiest ADX cow I have) The grandmother is a red Simmental.

This is the KEZ bull calf. The mother beside him, is by the Lim bull ADX. (She's the milkiest ADX cow I have) The grandmother is a red Simmental.

Do you think it could be a he? Could be sum he in the cow going back! I've seen 3 generations after a mouse brown bring back the mouse brown agin!

Do you think it could be a he? Could be sum he in the cow going back! I've seen 3 generations after a mouse brown bring back the mouse brown agin!
    Calf is only 2 days old in the pic. He is a fine square calf so I don't think he was bulled by a HE x local bull. The grand dam was bought in so don't know her breeding. ICBF say she is 40% simm, 45% Lim & 15% unknown. Strange one.

What do ye think of lis na ri Gucci, si4250, Simmental in the gene Ireland program. I like him looks like good pedigree behind him. Any of ye get any good cows eventually out of gene Ireland bulls?

Had a look to see what's in the Ai flask, found 5 On-Dit straws that I didn't know I had:cool:

Had a look to see what's in the Ai flask, found 5 On-Dit straws that I didn't know I had:cool:
    They can't be got anymore. I know cause I asked NCBC a while back. Pedigree breeders might be tempted to pay well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

They can't be got anymore. I know cause I asked NCBC a while back. Pedigree breeders might be tempted to pay well for them.

What ya think they might worth each?

dodo mommy wrote: »
    What ya think they might worth each?
    No idea. Bavardage who is by ON-DIT has gone very scarce now too. I managed to get 2 straws myself recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

anyone have calves from clonagh frosty king or AHC? thinking of using them on two cows this evening? would they be hard calved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

RD10 wrote: »
    anyone have calves from clonagh frosty king or AHC? thinking of using them on two cows this evening? would they be hard calved?

Put AHC on a 3 of my best cows last year in the hope of a few replacements. First 2 calved no bother 2 nice heifer calf's.waiting on the third. I'll hardly get 3 out of 3 will I. He's easy calved anyway and both calfed abit ahead of time so gestation legnth looks good. We'll see how they develop now but they look like nice calf's so far.

Advertisement