Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

RD10 wrote: »
    anyone have calves from clonagh frosty king or AHC? thinking of using them on two cows this evening? would they be hard calved?

Ach is breeding right good calves from what I've seen of them. Average calving too

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

I had an AHC calf and it's black and white. Mother is brown simmental, grandmother a friesian. Found it a very strange colouration, I'm assuming it can happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

They can't be got anymore. I know cause I asked NCBC a while back. Pedigree breeders might be tempted to pay well for them.

Think I'll put them on the best cows i have and hope for heifers. Got five heifers from five calvings off him this year, the same again would be great.
    Found two Lisnacrann Sunnyboy straws as well, thought they were all gone too.
    Have six calves off him this year, he looks like a very good bull so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

Have a lim cow billing this evening she has a great bb Ross alo calf at foot. Was thinking of using Bova Hideal HJD has anybody used it yet? What do you think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

anyone have calves from clonagh frosty king or AHC? thinking of using them on two cows this evening? would they be hard calved?
    I am looking to get a few straws of a son of his - Coose Gambler. Lovely looking bull. Not tall, well muscled, good calving diff and good milk. Only 50% reliability for these figures though - no calves on the ground from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Clonagh frosty king looks a great bull. Great breeding.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

I have one calved to AHC and another straggler overdue at 295 days. First one is a bull calf don't you know but was calved on her own. Lovely calf and a crying shame it's a bull. I'll let you know in the next few days what the next one is like

No idea. Bavardage who is by ON-DIT has gone very scarce now too. I managed to get 2 straws myself recently.

There's a Bavardage son called Moondharrig knell (LM 4217), in the Gene Ireland programme this year, don't know if any straws are left off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Any opinions on Curaheen Earp calving wise? I gave him to BBQ Belgian blue with first calf at foot and was thinking afterwards she had a shapey enough calf out of ZAG and was I a bit chancey giving her a sim 2nd time out

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

sonnybill wrote: »
    Any opinions on Curaheen Earp calving wise? I gave him to BBQ Belgian blue with first calf at foot and was thinking afterwards she had a shapey enough calf out of ZAG and was I a bit chancey giving her a sim 2nd time out

only used him twice. nice sizes of calves at birth and growing into lovely shaped animals. i personally would only use him on cows who have had a calf or two under them, or a good calver.
    wouldnt use him on heifers. but thats just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

only used him twice. nice sizes of calves at birth and growing into lovely shaped animals. i personally would only use him on cows who have had a calf or two under them, or a good calver.
    wouldnt use him on heifers. but thats just my opinion.

Cheers for that , BB X in the cow is what I'd be wary off too

Have some Earp calves here, i think you'll be grand, he's fine for second calvers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Topnotch elvis grandson.

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Topnotch elvis grandson.
    He does have a hound dog head on him.:D
    Super calf.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Daddy's from Clare & mammys from listowel so he never really had chance ;)
    He does have a hound dog head on him.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Hi I'm wondering would it be OK to keep a scrub bull for the BDGP? We currently have a FSZ Fiston off Simental cow with good 5 stars maternal and terminal. Father wants to keep him. Any opinions if it's allowed etc.?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

pure breed wrote: »
    Hi I'm wondering would it be OK to keep a scrub bull for the BDGP? We currently have a FSZ Fiston off Simental cow with good 5 stars maternal and terminal. Father wants to keep him. Any opinions if it's allowed etc.?

I think it is ok, only problem is he will only be 5 stars across breeds not within breed so if he slips there he is no good for you. Good ped bulls will usually have 5 stars across breed and within breed, if he slips within breed, he still might be ok across breeds.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Thanks Blue, so am I'm I taking it right that if his not 4 or 5 stars within the breed he can't be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Thanks Blue, so am I'm I taking it right that if his not 4 or 5 stars within the breed he can't be used?
    He a crossbreed so he can't be within breed if you know what I mean. He can be used alright but the issue is if his index drops like a stone you may not qualify anymore. A pedigree can qualify both across breed and within breed.

Yeah I understand that it's impossible for him within the breed to have any stars as not full CH but was hoping across the breeds would do. Thanks fir reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

croot wrote: »
    He a crossbreed so he can't be within breed if you know what I mean. He can be used alright but the issue is if his index drops like a stone you may not qualify anymore. A pedigree can qualify both across breed and within breed.
    With Bulls in this scheme, don't the have to be 4/5 star the day you buy them to qualify.
    If their stars fall, it only affects their progeny being suitable.

Yeah I understand that it's impossible for him within the breed to have any stars as not full CH but was hoping across the breeds would do. Thanks fir reply.

If he's 4 or 5 stars across breeds on either the terminal or maternal index he qualifies for the scheme i'm pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Tanko have you used much of rocky Lim bull?

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Tanko have you used much of rocky Lim bull?

No, never used him. Too hard calved for my liking. A dairy farmer up the road has a Rocky son as a stock bull with his big Holstein ciws, his calving Jack is in constant use.
    There's hardly any Rocky straws about now? He bred serious cattle tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

tanko wrote: »
    No, never used him. Too hard calved for my liking. A dairy farmer up the road has a Rocky son as a stock bull with his big Holstein ciws, his calving Jack is in constant use.
    There's hardly any Rocky straws about now? He bred serious cattle tho.

I have a few but using him with caution. Last 2 were brutes but probably put into the wrong type cow. Supposed to make lovely cows. That's why I was asking! Thought you might have come across some

There's a big poster of Rocky on a wall in Cavan mart, that's about as close i ever got to him. I see his calving difficulty is only 7.5%, i would have expected it to be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

We have a rocky stock bull out of a hawk cow, super shape and as quiet as a lamb and is running with the heifers at the moment for the second season, getting serious shape in his calves, the females lack milk after rocky. No problems calving but manage stock well for calving.

We have a rocky stock bull out of a hawk cow, super shape and as quiet as a lamb and is running with the heifers at the moment for the second season, getting serious shape in his calves, the females lack milk after rocky. No problems calving but manage stock well for calving.
    Ronick Hawk is one of the top bulls in the breed for milk, so some of those genetics should be coming through. I've a PBR cow, her mother is by Hawk. She has loads of milk, even though the bull she is out of has poor figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭High bike

With Bulls in this scheme, don't the have to be 4/5 star the day you buy them to qualify.
    If their stars fall, it only affects their progeny being suitable.
    Your spot on there if you buy a bull,don't know though if it differs if you breed him yourself.Maybe someone else can answer that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Had a rocky stockbull for years, super quite as was his stock. Very few issues with calving. Kept a few heifers from him initially but they never stayed a second year, no milk and pelvic structure not great (2 different AI men). A very good weanling producer.

Advertisement