Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

tanko wrote: »
    I dunno, have 4 bulls and 2 heifers off him this year. I think he's a good bull to use on small cows with a bit of muscle to improve size and hopefully milk. He's easy calved, maybe i'll be proved wrong yet but so far i think they're looking pretty good.

His father was the same
    Sadly harder to get a bull that delivers a bit of height anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    I couldn't bring myself to use any Earp straws. Maybe the online pics don't do him justice but he is a poor looking bull

That's the catch 22 for a AI stud. Do you feed a beast to look good in a photo but take the hit on semen quality/production for doing so?

Some of the ugliest bulls to go through AI bred great stock
    IS4 and LGL are two great examples

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

That's the catch 22 for a AI stud. Do you feed a beast to look good in a photo but take the hit on semen quality/production for doing so?

Some of the ugliest bulls to go through AI bred great stock
    IS4 and LGL are two great examples

Ya you make a good point there.
    Have to disagree on LGL. I thought he was a fine looking bull. The only pic I remember of is4 I saw I remember thinking he looked young in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I always thought IS4 looked a fine bull too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

I think if ai companies were to just update pictures of the bulls it would help a lot. Scrolling through this years Dovea book I saw that they had updated the pic they had of that sim bull Cloondroon Calling. His first pic was from the show and sale he was bought at but the updated one showed his mature size and he looks smashing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Cloondroon calling QCD and Curaheen Earp are both off Curaheen Vio. QCD is a fine bull but a fair bit harder calved than Earp.
    Doveas new sim Curaheen Gunshot looks the business, it'll be interesting to see how he turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Some fella I asked here one day .. What calf is that out of ? He is out it of the heifer in the book with the horns!! There was no pic of OZS I think only a heifer a daughter with horns.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Cloondroon calling QCD and Curaheen Earp are both off Curaheen Vio. QCD is a fine bull but a fair bit harder calved than Earp.
    Doveas new sim Curaheen Gunshot looks the business, it'll be interesting to see how he turns out.
    I'm sure if they were to take a pic of Earp now he'd look a lot different from his original pics - given that he'll be 4 years old come Christmas and no doubt getting the best of grub and a comfy bed for himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Anyone have any cows off QCD ?

Have couple off DRU here and very happy with them.

My APZ heifer that had the caesarean section is bulling today. Decided after the section to get rid of her. A sickner especially as she is so quiet.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

My APZ heifer that had the caesarean section is bulling today. Decided after the section to get rid of her. A sickner especially as she is so quiet.

How long after the section is that Patsy?

sako 85 wrote: »
    How long after the section is that Patsy?

Section was 16th April. So 2 full months.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

What bull did you use on her Patsy? I have an Apz heifer in calf to Tomchoice Imperial,I see he is now 6.1 calving diff, from being very easy calving as suggested by my AI man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The first heat would prob be unlikely to hold so it assuming she would come in again could well be 3 weeks before she may hold, although I know those calls are easier to live with when they are gone from the place

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

TPF2012 wrote:
    What bull did you use on her Patsy? I have an Apz heifer in calf to Tomchoice Imperial,I see he is now 6.1 calving diff, from being very easy calving as suggested by my AI man.

That's a balls we used him as well on few heifers due to easy calving!!!, I suppose his docility figures are BS as well so.

TPF2012 wrote: »
    I had to pull a tomschoice imperial calf this year myself. But heifer was a kittke on the small side.
    My apz heifer was bulled by a bb weanling I had here. I ai'd her to ZAG at the time so thought she was in calf to him.
    Has your heifer size?

I had to pull a tomschoice imperial calf this year myself. But heifer was a kittke on the small side. My apz heifer was bulled by a bb weanling I had here. I ai'd her to ZAG at the time so thought she was in calf to him. Has your heifer size?

She was a bit butty at the start of the year but her frame has grown a bit of height since, she always had plenty of width to her. Just be worried since Apz has such bad maternal calving figure but she seems to have a good pelvic size. Her dam would be part blue and throws muscled calves.

Hoping to keep this Fiston lady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

sonnybill wrote: »
    Hoping to keep this Fiston lady[/quote

She has the WOW factor!

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Hoping to keep this Fiston lady[/quote

She has the WOW factor!

Her dam is very good big framed Cow so im not worried about Fiston size , good milk and both 5 stars so I going to ai her next June to the likes of Zag

• Advertisement

Hoping to keep this Fiston lady

She is a beauty Sonnybill.
    Have one off Fiston from last autumn lacking in a bit of height but hopefully bring milk as she out of a Simental cow.
    Fiston.jpg
    Fiston (2).JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

pure breed wrote: »
    Have one off Fiston from last autumn lacking in a bit of height but hopefully bring milk as she out of a Simental cow.
    Fiston.jpg
    Fiston (2).JPG

Lovely animal. Hard to meet the simx ch for producting a great heifer/cow. Have a few here and cross great with the limousin.

I was just picking up on louthmouth saying one min that u can buy good stock and then 2 secs latter telling the op if you breed your own stock only a "small percentage " will be good enough.

Mac Taylor wrote:
    Lovely animal. Hard to meet the simx ch for producting a great heifer/cow. Have a few here and cross great with the limousin.

Another great cross for cows is a ch x( fr x bb). We have a few from when we milked and get good weanlings.

Dam of that one I'm hoping to keep is 50% CH out of a Big old type strawberry SH X SA cow. I bought her in as a weanling was working in an area and was all summer watching her, lovely cow

ONI heifer, TKO x OEI cow.

Earp bull, OZS x EPN cow

XGL lim bull, is he any good, has good figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

ONI heifer, TKO x OEI cow.

Lovely animal, are you happy with oni? Have 2 Bulls by him.
    One is a smasher, the other is avg. Both are off ampertaine brigadeer.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Lovely animal, are you happy with oni? Have 2 Bulls by him.
    One is a smasher, the other is avg. Both are off ampertaine brigadeer.

When On-Dit calves are good they're really good but sometimes they can be a bit leggy and lack muscle. He works best on cows with lots of muscle i find. Overall he's a super bull tho.

• Advertisement

Fiston.jpg
    Fiston (2).JPG

Sorry lads another Fiston heifer ... Some hoop on her ,

Advertisement