Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I need to bother to read the journal for these things. Anybody for Tullamore on tuesday?[/quote

I'm planning on going to it. I think it should be interesting to see a Suckler and sheep farm on the one day. I'm sure the Farmers Journal will have plenty of demonstrations throughout the day too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tanko wrote: »
    Think there was an open day there in the last year or two but couldn't make it.

the Limousin Society went there as part of the international congress.
    https://www.irishlimousin.com/html/ilc_day_1.html

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Think there was an open day there in the last year or two but couldn't make it.

the Limousin Society went there as part of the international congress.
    https://www.irishlimousin.com/html/ilc_day_1.html
    Good wee write up that. Amazing herd. I wondered if there was much use of cross bred bulls around the country I don't know anyone doing it properly. Can't get over the size of those cows it's hard to see how they'd have that power if they calved at 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Any advice on progressive genetics bulls,i have some shapey cows but i want a show calf out of them ,so what bull does the job?

Progressive Genetic Limousin Bull : Castleview Gazelle (ZAG) is throwing fantastic calves, very shapely and broad. He has a Calving Difficulty of 4.5% at 99% reliability.
    I have had two calves out of him with different cows and both were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Has anyone else noticed a fertility problem with OZS cows?
    I've six of them here which all calved for the second time this spring, these six had the six longest calving intervals of the thirty cows here this year and they haven't been easy to get in-calf this year, three of them have repeated so far and I've had very few repeats with the cows off other bulls.

It's looking like three of them might be getting the gate which is a pity as OZS breeds a real nice sort of cow which are well able to calve. Have plenty of replacements so it's not a big problem.

• Advertisement

Any advice on progressive genetics bulls,i have some shapey cows but i want a show calf out of them ,so what bull does the job?

Progressive Genetic Limousin Bull : Castleview Gazelle (ZAG) is throwing fantastic calves, very shapely and broad. He has a Calving Difficulty of 4.5% at 99% reliability.
    I have had two calves out of him with different cows and both were excellent.

Tullamore farm used Gazelle this year it seems he produces fantastic progeny for bull beef but their big focus is on replacements. What breed are your cows? Would blue bulls suit you to maintain and add shape

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Has anyone else noticed a fertility problem with OZS cows?
    I've six of them here which all calved for the second time this spring, these six had the six longest calving intervals of the thirty cows here this year and they haven't been easy to get in-calf this year, three of them have repeated so far and I've had very few repeats with the cows off other bulls.

It's looking like three of them might be getting the gate which is a pity as OZS breeds a real nice sort of cow which are well able to calve. Have plenty of replacements so it's not a big problem.

I've only one OZS black lim and agree with you that she slow enough to show heat .. One single dot on her last year from teaser/ chin ball and we Ai'd her last year and she kept. She slow again this year .. Interval wise she slipping

sonnybill wrote: »
    I've only one OZS black lim and agree with you that she slow enough to show heat .. One single dot on her last year from teaser/ chin ball and we Ai'd her last year and she kept. She slow again this year .. Interval wise she slipping

Yeah, it's a bad trait for cows to have. I see the fertility figures for OZS on ICBF are very bad, his daughters are in the bottom 1% within and across breeds for daughter calving interval. Looks like it's a fault with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I have one cow out of ozs I haven't noticed any fertility problems but she did get a prid this year. The one cow I have is out pb sim cow and you would get more milk out a cat. Nice beefy cow but

Strange he should be milky. VZN seems a much better bet for replacements at the moment

• Advertisement

I put a Germany straw in her a flechvie bull called winsler. He is a good shape dairy Simmental. Interesting to see how it goes. I run a Lim bull with rest of the cows rated 4 star star terminal 5 star replacement I think he is around 3.5 kegs of milk which is poor but great for Lim

Strange he should be milky. VZN seems a much better bet for replacements at the moment

Vision VZN breeds cattle with very sickled back legs. I notice it a lot in his pedigree stock. One of my pet hates.

Sorry it's Ramses RMX I meant. Apologies!!!

390--width-Ramses.Resized.jpg

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Yeah, it's a bad trait for cows to have. I see the fertility figures for OZS on ICBF are very bad, his daughters are in the bottom 1% within and across breeds for daughter calving interval. Looks like it's a fault with him.

Nice to see the data backing up what's happening on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I put a Germany straw in her a flechvie bull called winsler. He is a good shape dairy Simmental. Interesting to see how it goes. I run a Lim bull with rest of the cows rated 4 star star terminal 5 star replacement I think he is around 3.5 kegs of milk which is poor but great for Lim

Friend tryed a few of him and is very happy. He's a for cow not heifers.

I put him into three cows this year. Looking forward to see what they come with. Knowing my luck probably Bulls

Vision VZN breeds cattle with very sickled back legs. I notice it a lot in his pedigree stock. One of my pet hates.

Is that right? I hadn't noticed that I must take more of a look. Could wind up with longevity problems there. It's a shame because he's very impressive otherwise

Has anyone any calfs or better cows off the Simmental bull celtic rock(rkz). His figure look good but he has a relatively low star index. Why i wonder?

Is that right? I hadn't noticed that I must take more of a look. Could wind up with longevity problems there. It's a shame because he's very impressive otherwise

Ramses RMX I meant, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Anyone use any of that Idalgo? I meant to but ended up not. Might just use polled bulls next year.

Idalgo, Deuter & then maybe something like AA4087 or RGZ on the heifers...

Neighbour has about 10 Idalgos very impressive looking....

Ramses RMX I meant, sorry.

No worries, I was wondering about that. Any experience of VZN, looks like a great option, especially for replacements

• Advertisement

No worries, I was wondering about that. Any experience of VZN, looks like a great option, especially for replacements
    I haven't used him, but I'd say he's worth trying a few straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Has anyone any calfs or better cows off the Simmental bull celtic rock(rkz). His figure look good but he has a relatively low star index. Why i wonder?

Was looking through a few like him recently - just see on his linear score he is below average for muscle and well above average for height. Going by this alone you'd want to give him to a muscly, short cow to get a "balanced" (heifer) calf.

There you go I knew there was more to it. Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

There you go I knew there was more to it. Thanks for that

That's only my tuppence worth from purely looking at the figures. Could be arseways wrong!
    There is a limousin bull called Pacha 08 (PCH). Brilliant replacement figures. Gave him to a cow here years ago. She had a big lanky heifer calf - looked at linear score for him on ICBF - well below average for muscle and well above for height. Always check that nowadays before I decide on a bull.

Seaba wrote: »
    That's only my tuppence worth from purely looking at the figures. Could be arseways wrong!
    There is a limousin bull called Pacha 08 (PCH). Brilliant replacement figures. Gave him to a cow here years ago. She had a big lanky heifer calf - looked at linear score for him on ICBF - well below average for muscle and well above for height. Always check that nowadays before I decide on a bull.

I always do this. It's always a balance between muscle and skeletal. Pick bulls to balance out the weakness in the cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Anyone used the lm bull rbf (caboteur)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Idalgo, Deuter & then maybe something like AA4087 or RGZ on the heifers...

Aa4087 is double muscle angus..calving could be tough

adne wrote: »
    Anyone used the lm bull rbf (caboteur)?

Don't know anything about him, he's €32/straw according to the Limousin society website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Don't know anything about him, he's €32/straw according to the Limousin society website.

Thanks. Yes i bought through the society. Figures look good and balanced but always better to hear peoples feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Seaba wrote: »

I've a cow off him. Shocking cow with a shocking couple of calves. Giving her the chop this year

Advertisement