Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

wiggy123 wrote: »
    not much new in it, regards Aberdeen Angus bulls

They have Powys in the new dairy catalogue. Matteo (in beef) and Maverick (he'd be in the spring update I'd imagine) are new. Plus think there are a few more...

Papa and Man O Man were new last year.

sako 85 wrote: »
    question on the PG catalogue. Where a bull is named as a "Test Sire". Am I right in saying they are on the Gene Ireland Maternal Bull panel and can be got for €5 a straw. If you order them from PG however it'll cost more?

You are but I think that is only available on the first few hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see they have ZAG well back in the catalogue. Being way over used I'd say.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

no new bulls for the pedigree breeder

wiggy123 wrote: »
    no new bulls for the pedigree breeder

I'd imagine that would be covered in the Prestige Catalogue Range. Weeton Diamond Mine, Rebel etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

I see the catalogue tells you the Myostatin status too...must be becoming a big talking point. Anyone know what the /+ and +/+ means? I see most bulls have it in some way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

myostatin is that--need to let potential buyers know, so know outcome, re come calving!

+/- that mean, figures wise! as in pounds..no?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

I see they have ZAG well back in the catalogue. Being way over used I'd say.
    AI man was telling me a few months ago he wasn't producing for a while. That was probably because of over use. I can see why. I haven't had a bad one off him yet.

Anyone have any of the polled Lim OEO? I've two due to him this month.

I see the catalogue tells you the Myostatin status too...must be becoming a big talking point. Anyone know what the /+ and +/+ means? I see most bulls have it in some way

Think +/+ means tested not a carrier, I think.

From my point of view your Bull should bring the terminal traits not your cows so I would not use a bull (no matter what his index) with myostatin to breed replacements...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

What is Myostatin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    What is Myostatin ?

Gene for double muscle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Think +/+ means tested not a carrier, I think.

From my point of view your Bull should bring the terminal traits not your cows so I would not use a bull (no matter what his index) with myostatin to breed replacements...

If myostatin is double muscle gene, then why would you want that in your replacements? Would it not make then harder calved?

Myostatin Genes;

'....There are nine known mutations of the Myostatin gene in cattle, some of which are breed specific and others which affect more than one breed. There are three main mutations that occur within all Limousin populations (as well as other breeds) as follows:

- Variant F94L
    - Variant nt821
    - Variant Q204X

https://businesswales.gov.wales/farmingconnect/demonstration-network-blogs/understanding-myostatin-use-beef-production-systems-glangwden

I see Elite Ice Cream and Fiston both carry Q204X.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭signinlate

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    What is Myostatin ?

Kardashian gene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Looking at ai catalog from the ploughing (dovea) Going to try a few ch and Bb for a mix of terminal weanlings. All good sim and limx/sim cows but not over muscled animals.
    Would you go with csq, crossmolina jupiter ?

For Bb I was thinking wbh? He looks like a long bull. What's obh like?

Looking at ai catalog from the ploughing (dovea) Going to try a few ch and Bb for a mix of terminal weanlings. All good sim and limx/sim cows but not over muscled animals.

Not a fan of csq . big calves at birth that can be a little raw. Havent had any jupiter calves yet. Will have one in a month though. Had 1 great calf from wbh(he was at doveas stand at plouging last year) neighbour had nice calf from obh but nothing special.
    When are you bulling them

Have they a new catalogue out? Thought it was only there one from the spring at the Ploughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

We had only the one Crossmolina Jupiter calf this year but she's a super one so have him on 5 cows next year. I'd say he's a good cross for big framed sim cows. though his calving dif is surprisingly high for one with Indurain in his breeding.
    CSQ is much higher dif @13.4% so you'd be using him on mature cows that you know can calve well. Had super calves from him in previous years though.

Haven't used any blues for next year (shock! horror!:eek:) but dehorned a few excellent RFF ones this year out of ch cows.

Not a fan of csq . big calves at birth that can be a little raw. Havent had any jupiter calves yet. Will have one in a month though. Had 1 great calf from wbh(he was at doveas stand at plouging last year) neighbour had nice calf from obh but nothing special.
    When are you bulling them

Not bulling them until paddys day but just looking at getting a few straws sorted before hand.

Have they a new catalogue out? Thought it was only there one from the spring at the Ploughing.

No its the same one but I just got it there. Like flicking trough them rather than the phone tbh

• Advertisement

No its the same one but I just got it there. Like flicking trough them rather than the phone tbh

Old indexes is all.

Munster, Progressive, Eurogene all had new ones there.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

They have updated their website........some new bulls on it

• Registered Users Posts: 37 p dogg

I see Progressive have a new simmental bull called Lis na Ri Gucci a glebefarm tyson son. I often wondered why gfy hadnt any sons in ai considering his star ratings and huge praise of his offspring. IS4 is gucci s maternal grandfather and I've heard nothing but good reports about him too. He could be a top quality sire with that sort of breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

p dogg wrote: »
    I see Progressive have a new simmental bull called Lis na Ri Gucci a glebefarm tyson son. I often wondered why gfy hadnt any sons in ai considering his star ratings and huge praise of his offspring. IS4 is gucci s maternal grandfather and I've heard nothing but good reports about him too. He could be a top quality sire with that sort of breeding

ive an is4 heifer here going to the bull in April, shes out of a great cow but herself seems very bellyish.

Who2 wrote: »
    ive an is4 heifer here going to the bull in April, shes out of a great cow but herself seems very bellyish.

Simmentals :rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That's a big problem with the simmentals alright. Great maternal but anything else will have a big horrible gut. Charolais my first love then lims. Not sure I buy it that sims rear the best calves

squinn2912 wrote: »
    That's a big problem with the simmentals alright. Great maternal but anything else will have a big horrible gut. Charolais my first love then lims. Not sure I buy it that sims rear the best calves

Out of second calvers, Jan/Feb born. 450kg at a guess. I'll let you know during the week when I sell them. They might have a bit of a gut but they won't be bet for daily weight gain and will weight like lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Is4 is one of the best terminal bulls used on this farm.

Killed one bullock last week. Under 25 months. Would have eaten less than 100kg of meal over his U=3= 461kg dead

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Killed one bullock last week. Under 25 months. Would have eaten less than 100kg of meal over his U=3= 461kg dead

Some animal, what sort of cow was he off?

• Advertisement

I've two IS4 weanling bulls for sale here if you want them? Yours for €900.

Advertisement